• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Tin Woodsman

I can't imagine that's a local builder. That house might fit in at Stratton or some other place south of Granville Gulf, but not Sugarbush. Someone is going to lose their shirt.

In other news, if anyone makes a habit of walking the Village Run up to the base of North Lynx (or further) please PM me backchannel. I have a question or two.

Lostone

....anyone called the builder to ask about the price ? Now I'm curious....

The word I've got is $600K, and pretty firm... from two different sources. :eek:

What was that phrase up above...? Dumb money?

And at frist I just called it unique. The more I saw it, the uglier it got. :blink: :roll:

Treeskier

Sub- Posts

Sub Treads

If your review skiing chat room history. You will find that RSN’s Sugarbush’s chat room thrived. It was able to convince the powers to be to re-open twice. Plus it was able to produce change (remember when after so many posts that the MT allowed the walking to Castlerock….then produced ski patrol as normal for those skiing down) Why we love Sugarbush Valley. In that vain…… 38 pages of this thread to date 11_15_05.

Could we have sub-threads? That are only applicable to……..say….to any thread that has 10 pages or more?

Like: Slied today Reports, Valley snow depths, MT news... Where to play this weekend!

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Re: Drove by a couple of weeks ago.....and it's definitely eye catching....

smootharc said:
castlerock said:
Lostone said:
Be very interesting to see who actually buys it. :-?
Is that thing being built on spec? It is hideous. I thought it had to be built for someone.

....anyone called the builder to ask about the price ? Now I'm curious....

To tell you the truth....imho.....if you deleted the glass block, and changed the color from "Mediterranean sun-reflecting hot white" to something more organic, well, it might not project the "hideous out of placeness" it does now. The lines are different for sure, but not profoundly ugly taken as a whole (again, imho)...rather sculptural. Looks much better from ground level and below than the predominant view from above. Eye of the beholder thing going on there, definitely. Nice decks and all, but, golly, it's absolutely surrounded by road, and headlights coming close by. Just not a great building lot....

But it seems the whole mountain/resort areas of the MR valley are on the way up, perhaps getting sucked into the vaccum of price increases that are likely to occur increasingly in the valley as people go to Stratton, Okemo, Stowe, see $625k for a one-bedroom, and start looking around. The whole shebang (MRV) is waaaaaayyyyy undervalued when you add up all the positives of the place....and factor in that any new development will, basically, be ever so tightly controlled (or at least has so far).....so none of the over the top madness of other places in VT is ever likely to occur. One hopes....

I think real estate developement in the valley can be described as sendentary at best. In view of the Burlington's, Stowe's and Manchester's it is baffling.

Case in point, a developer starts building some townhouses(Maple something), the one at the corner of Gold Course Rd and the access road, first developement on/near the mountain in 15 years. They go bankrupt, landowner has to take over. Are they completed?

Course when I bought my little place I was thrilled that the price was very reasonable, almost cheap in comparison to other ski towns.

I love the fact that the valley is so mellow in the summer but I have a feeling it won't last too much longer.

Lostone

The Maples aren't completed, but some of the units are. And some are occupied.

Heard that someone is renting one of those until his unit at Claybrook is ready. Supposedly a long time Stowe skier who made the mistake of trying Sugarbush for one weekend, last year. 8)

It'll do that to you.

And SRO, when i bought my place I was astounded I could get a place so close to the mountain for that money. Now there are a lot of people living in these condos. Many are locals and a lot of them have nothing to do with the mountain. It just turned out to be a very affordable place to buy.

And so pretty! :D :beer:

walknet2

Re: Sub- Posts

Treeskier said:
Sub Treads

If your review skiing chat room history. You will find that RSN’s Sugarbush’s chat room thrived. It was able to convince the powers to be to re-open twice. Plus it was able to produce change (remember when after so many posts that the MT allowed the walking to Castlerock….then produced ski patrol as normal for those skiing down) Why we love Sugarbush Valley. In that vain…… 38 pages of this thread to date 11_15_05.

Could we have sub-threads? That are only applicable to……..say….to any thread that has 10 pages or more?

Like: Slied today Reports, Valley snow depths, MT news... Where to play this weekend!

I am wondering how KillingtonZone.com got set-up. It has the same exact format as AlpineZone. If there is a way to set up a SugarbushZone that would be great.

SkiDork

walknet2 said:
Treeskier said:
Sub Treads

I am wondering how KillingtonZone.com got set-up. It has the same exact format as AlpineZone. If there is a way to set up a SugarbushZone that would be great.

We set up KZone when they decided to shut down the old killingtonchat.com

5 of us posters just set it up. I had actually asked Greg if it was OK to use the "zone" moniker and he gave us the OK. We just split the yearly costs for the web hosting between us. We basically got all the old killingtonchat posters registered on our site, as they were looking for a new home and we filled that need.

We haven't really spent that much effort getting it listed high up on Google, despite tips given to us by Greg. Laziness I guess. But I think to start a new Sugarbush forum out of the blue, you would want to try to get a good Google listing (for the search string "sugarbush" of course).

Juist some ramblings...

Vortex

Dork glad to have you stop in. He and his family have been nice to the Az folk when Killington is on the skiiing agenda.

I post a little there. The atomoshere is different. Most people concentrated on just K.

SkiDork

Bob R said:
Dork glad to have you stop in. He and his family have been nice to the Az folk when Killington is on the skiiing agenda.

I post a little there. The atomoshere is different. Most people concentrated on just K.

I would've like to do the race team with you guys if I lived closer...

Vortex

The race team should be fun. Just great to get out of work early and ski. I gave my boss a formal winter schedule I wanted to adhere to. Booking early Monday and Friday were on the list. Man I love ski season.

Back to sugarbush talk. Sorry

noski

Treeskier said:
Sub Treads

Sugarbush Valley????? tsk tsk tsk

castlerock

ski_resort_observer said:
Case in point, a developer starts building some townhouses(Maple something), the one at the corner of Gold Course Rd and the access road, first developement on/near the mountain in 15 years. They go bankrupt, landowner has to take over. Are they completed?
I can't even conceive how the Maples project could have run into any financial difficulty. (financial, not organizational) Between the time that project started and finished, the prices for 3BR condos at/near the mountain increased at least 50%. (Case in point: Castlerock units transacted at $139K in fall'02, $285K fall'05).

If the builder had his/her act together, any bank would float the loan. Any difficulties in that project can't be attributed to the real estate conditions in the valley

ski_resort_observer

Website

noski said:
Treeskier said:
Sub Treads

Sugarbush Valley????? tsk tsk tsk

What are you gonna do? Someone puts up a sign and soon everyone believes it. I heard Cohen paid 50,000 bucks to change it from the Mad River Valley to Sugarbush Valley.

I guess people believe what they read. Even tho Sugarbush Valley was a made up marketing name and no one paid much attention to it I was happy the chamber changed from the Sugarbush chamber to the MRV Chamber.

ski_resort_observer

Website

castlerock said:
I can't even conceive how the Maples project could have run into any financial difficulty. (financial, not organizational) Between the time that project started and finished, the prices for 3BR condos at/near the mountain increased at least 50%. (Case in point: Castlerock units transacted at $139K in fall'02, $285K fall'05).

If the builder had his/her act together, any bank would float the loan. Any difficulties in that project can't be attributed to the real estate conditions in the valley

I agree! The condo market is tight as a drum. I have been waiting for a 4 BR South Village unit to come on the market for 3 years. There are only a few up there so I am not holding my breath.

As far as the Castlerock unit you mentioned based on that markup I would have to believe that the owners put some money into the unit as while they have a good location, the building, as are all of the condos at the Bush, is in need of updating. Even in 2002 139k is pretty cheap for a 3 BR multilevel unit walking distance to the slopes and SHARC.

castlerock

As far as the Castlerock unit you mentioned based on that markup I would have to believe that the owners put some money into the unit as while they have a good location, the building, as are all of the condos at the Bush, is in need of updating. Even in 2002 139k is pretty cheap for a 3 BR multilevel unit walking distance to the slopes and SHARC.

I wouldn't want to mislead anyone, those prices weren't for one specific unit. I bought mine for 139 (hence my alias here), there was another on the market at that time for 145. They were both in the same shape (original, 1970's beige everything) But during this run-up there have been 6 or 7 sales. The condition of the unit has been irrelevant to the price. If a unit came on the market it was gone immediately. And at a price 10-15% above the last transaction.

Rustyfan

Condos

I recall looking at a 3 br Castlerock unit in the late Spring of '01, priced somewhere around $150K. We bought a 2 br Snow Creek condo instead, for just over $100K. My understanding is that Snow Creek condos are selling at $220K and higher.

ski_resort_observer

Website
Re: Condos

Rustyfan said:
I recall looking at a 3 br Castlerock unit in the late Spring of '01, priced somewhere around $150K. We bought a 2 br Snow Creek condo instead, for just over $100K. My understanding is that Snow Creek condos are selling at $220K and higher.

When your talking about Snowcreek that old saying, "location,location, location" falls into play. It seems being slopeside is an amenity that just keeps going up in value.

When I started working at the Bush(1997), the most expensive units we rented were the Southface(townhouse) and South Village homes. Last winter it was the Snowcreek units. Even tho a 2 bedroom Snowcreek pales in comparisom to a 2 bedroom Southface, it's the location that made Snowcreek the most desirable therefore the most expensive.

Both you guys have made some smart investments. My tiny little one bedroom unit has also doubled in value from when I bought it in 2000.

Lost - by the pics you post I think I know where your at. Great location! Being stumbling distance to beer has great value as well. :beer:

Rustyfan

We actually liked the Castlerock setup more than Snow Creek, and we also liked the Summit condos, but the convenience of slopeside at Snow Creek made the difference. Having spent three winters driving up the Killington access road, slopeside was nirvana. It was a buyers' market back then. However, Snow Creek is 2br only, so you're really squeezed with guests. Southface is outrageous--what a great job they did with those.

ski_resort_observer

Website
Rustyfan said:
We actually liked the Castlerock setup more than Snow Creek, and we also liked the Summit condos, but the convenience of slopeside at Snow Creek made the difference. Having spent three winters driving up the Killington access road, slopeside was nirvana. It was a buyers' market back then. However, Snow Creek is 2br only, so you're really squeezed with guests. Southface is outrageous--what a great job they did with those.

There are a few Snowcreek's with lofts but I hear what your saying. I always wonder if those little washer and dryer units work very well. Wonder if it gets alittle noisy with people walking up and down the stairs with ski boots on.

Those Southface units are sweet, most have hottubs, your own driveway/carport and the view from those huge windows in the living room are amazing.

Being multilevel townhouses both Castlerock and Summit are very roomy. From the Summit complex if there is enough snow you can ski down the bottom of Village Run for a short walk to the slopes.

Rustyfan

Stairs aren't a problem at Snow Creek, but we're now replacing the washer/dryer (sounds like a jet taking off!). We've now replaced all the appliances, installed twin bunks, upgraded the hearth, re-painted and put up new drapes. Other than replacing the carpet and some old furniture, we're done. The condo manager is very good at taking care of all sorts of little things.