• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

vtskibum

vtskibum said:
vtskibum said:
Colors on drop down menus make it hard to read text.

I talked to someone else who is seeing the drop downs as white on black. Mine are light blue on green. When I drop down it changes to yellow on gray. Not sure if this is the pilot, the browswer I am using (Mozilla Firefox), or something funky in the website coding. Plenty of time to explore while waiting for the site to change pages :)

All of my browser settings are at default. I did not remember changing them since switching to Firefox and confirmed I had not.

Not a big deal to me. Truth be told don't visit the bush site very often.

vtskibum

on a brighter note

it is snowing and the mountain is turning white. Now for my next month or so haitus from this place. Catch ya on the hill

Lostone

Site report pt 1 Speed

Well, either a lot of people left it, or the site has been sped up greatly. And that's a good thing.

First loaded it on machine II. Needed Flash on this one. Took a long time to get to the point of telling me that. Then loaded pretty quickly. Pages seemed to be taking a long time.

Did a check on Machine III. ( Where's machine I? Don't ask! :lol: ) Took a long time to load. Then I chose a page at random and tried to time how long it took. I was over 2.5 minutes when someone started talking to me, and I lost count. (I was counting with the one- one thousand method, as I didn't expect it to take that long.) My guess is that it took over 5 minutes for that one page to load.

Then I got the stopwatch to time a few... around 20 seconds per page.

Back to machine II to check the page that took forever... ~30 seconds.

Tried it with IE... loaded the site in less than a minute. I think it sped up since I started testing.

Lostone

Site report pt 2 Useability

What I like:
Nothing! :eek:

Just kidding! :wink:

I really like the pix on top. They're all black and white until you put your pointer over them. Then they turn colors and start to change.

I like how you can find almost everything (Maybe everything, but I haven't looked for everything, yet.) from the dropdowns on the front page.

I like the combinations of pictures and text for each of the pages.

Still love the interactive map. I know it isn't new, but still a very valuable part of the website, and an attention getter.

What I don't like:

When scrolling thru the menus on the dropdowns, when you get between items, the menu disappears. Too distracting.

Other...

The weather report is for Tuesday, Nov 1?
Looks like the trail report has everything open?

If the speed problem goes away, I think it will be pretty neat.

Anyone checked it out on Dial-up? :eek:

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Site is loading very, very slowly for me, seems to be almost locking up my IE at times... hope they can work out the bugs soon... at the moment, looking very, very weak...

EDIT (10 minutes later): Okay, okay, I'm officially in love with this site now. A few bugs need to be worked out, but a nice step up from the old one. Loving all the new photography especially...

EDIT (some more minutes later): New trails?! Well, not necessarily new, but Cat's Meow and Snowflake are back on the trailmap, having been lost over 15 and 25 years ago respectively... something totally new, "Castlerock Hi Road and Lo Road" two trails listed as one... wow... didn't think they would mess with the trail count number again, but that's impressive...

noski

Re: Site report pt 2 Useability

Lostone said:
I really like the pix on top. They're all black and white until you put your pointer over them. Then they turn colors and start to change.
Ah, geeze, now I have to go back and look for that. I didn't notice it! :dunce:

mtnlady

answers for Tin Woodsman

I'm now looking at the map of Slide Brook. The Winter Work Road takes off north from VR just where VR turns downhill above SB Village, crosses the ski zones in Slide Brook after they converge (heading to German Flats) proceeds north to lower FIS, below the old rope tow - pretty much a straight shot across. The other roads you see while taking an Outback Ski/Ride Tour are evacuation routes to the Slide Brook lift. Road 1/1A crosses all three zones (Slip & Slide, Roller Coaster, and Vertical Reality) and can be seen riding the lift from LP to ME as you descend towards Slide Brook. Road 2 follows the exit route from Vertical Reality along the south side of Slide Brook. Other maps I have are unclear to me. There may be other evac routes north of Slide Brook, but those are well beyond the legal ski zones.

Finally, those concrete bunkers you wondered about off the Village Run are water wells and provide water to the Lincoln Peak area and Sugarbush Village.
I'll never forget that factoid again!

Tin Woodsman

Strat said:
EDIT (some more minutes later): New trails?! Well, not necessarily new, but Cat's Meow and Snowflake are back on the trailmap, having been lost over 15 and 25 years ago respectively... something totally new, "Castlerock Hi Road and Lo Road" two trails listed as one... wow... didn't think they would mess with the trail count number again, but that's impressive...
That's too bad they put Hi & Lo on the trail map. Those were fun little stashes that almost always delivered due to their permanently roped off status.

Also new to themap this year, IIRC, is "Paradise Extension". Not sure what it used to be called before the whole Ripcord abortion went in, but it was one of only two ways to get back from the Spillsville/Paradise area. It too has always been roped off and a lot of fun due to lack of traffic. They'll probably start grooming it now too.

Lostone

Let's see how many of these I can remember...

Ah, geeze, now I have to go back and look for that. I didn't notice it! :dunce:

It's even worse! If you've already done it, now you have todo it again! Go back and click on the pic. They go full screen and then go to an ad for whichever item (Experience Aspire Refuel Envision and Discover ) was in the pix.

Not clear? Click on Discover. Lots of stuff there, and I think you would like it. :wink:

The Winter Work Road takes off north from VR just where VR turns downhill above SB Village, crosses the ski zones in Slide Brook after they converge (heading to German Flats) proceeds north to lower FIS, below the old rope tow - pretty much a straight shot across.

Thanx for that info. I was pretty sure that's what it was. And there ain't a lot of other places for it to be heading, in that direction. :wink:

Finally, those concrete bunkers you wondered about off the Village Run are water wells and provide water to the Lincoln Peak area and Sugarbush Village.

And this was another thing that I'd been wondering since first I saw it. I figured it had to be water or waste, and as the one at Village Run is above any building, water seemed more likely. (Do you want to pump it up the hill, or Do you want to pump it down the hill?)

I'll never forget that factoid again!

You'd better not! :argue: We will be having another quiz in a month or so... if we can take a break from skiing. 8)

Thanx for the info. :wink:

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Tin Woodsman said:
Strat said:
That's too bad they put Hi & Lo on the trail map. Those were fun little stashes that almost always delivered due to their permanently roped off status.

Also new to themap this year, IIRC, is "Paradise Extension". Not sure what it used to be called before the whole Ripcord abortion went in, but it was one of only two ways to get back from the Spillsville/Paradise area. It too has always been roped off and a lot of fun due to lack of traffic. They'll probably start grooming it now too.
Oh yeah, Paradise Extension, new as well... trail count is still 111 though... maybe they did some upper-lower consolidation... not really worth comparing now, but eventually I'll figure it out...

mtnlady - would be very, very interested in seeing that slide brook map... is it super confidential resort material or is it possible you could scan it or something? Would make a very nice addition to my site...
EDIT: And one more thing... where is the webcam? It's traditionally been the most helpful and enjoyable part of the sugarbush website for me, would be a huge loss to see it gone for good...

smootharc

Ditto....

Strat said:
mtnlady - would be very, very interested in seeing that slide brook map... is it super confidential resort material or is it possible you could scan it or something? Would make a very nice addition to my site...

....on Slidebrook map....

noski

Strat said:
EDIT: And one more thing... where is the webcam? It's traditionally been the most helpful and enjoyable part of the sugarbush website for me, would be a huge loss to see it gone for good...
You wanna take a guess how many times I looked at the Sugarcam and felt bad about that poor guy sitting all alone in front of the Season Pass office at LP? :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Lostone

Even worse! :cry:

you could see the season pass office from the cam, so he couldn't be in there.
:eek: He has been in the clock tower! :eek:

I just hope they remembered to let him out, when they were doing the mods, there. :roll:

And once again, my vote for the cam to be a Lincoln Peak. 8) Much better "village" look than watching the pipe at North. :wink:

Tin Woodsman

LP is def a better place. Then again, I always got a kick out of the kids that would be tredging up the pipe in themidst of the first snowfall in 2 weeks. Seems like a waste to me, but whatever floats yer boat.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
noski said:
Strat said:
You wanna take a guess how many times I looked at the Sugarcam and felt bad about that poor guy sitting all alone in front of the Season Pass office at LP? :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

I always felt the worst jobs at the Bush was the person who had to stand/sit all day at the bottom of the Magic Carpet and the people working behind the ticket windows at LP.

Course, the Magic Carpet is not there anymore and the ticket windows aren't used either. Now the hardest job for employees is walking from emp parking lot to the base area or getting up to HR during a blizzard. :D

Lostone

Seems to me that if there is a blizzard, walking to any job.... (as opposed to say... the lift... to do a little skiing? :blink: ) would be a tough job. :lol:

Treeskier

It's official they are opening tomorrow at 8

Just got the word. Open tomorrow at 8. Looked around the web site but did not find the web cam. Anyone know where it is?

noski

Re: It's official they are opening tomorrow at 8

Treeskier said:
Just got the word. Open tomorrow at 8. Looked around the web site but did not find the web cam. Anyone know where it is?
I am pulling a Lostone here, but I think it was decided to not put it back up. I think that is unfortunate, IMHO. The MRV site has one and the intention is to move it (soon) to a site where it at least has a view of the mountains... MRG site has a cam.