• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, ASC does get credit for a lot of good things....in 1995. But they ran out of money and interest to complete the deal and to do things "right".

I know that Win would tell you ALL the things that he had to fix with his $$$ when ASC left Dodge in 2001.

HowieT2

Yes, ASC does get credit for a lot of good things....in 1995. But they ran out of money and interest to complete the deal and to do things "right".

I know that Win would tell you ALL the things that he had to fix with his $$$ when ASC left Dodge in 2001.

they were losing money hand over fist when they took over from ASC.

bottom line is, I dont agree with everything they chose to do, but to say they haven't made vast improvements since taking over from ASC, is just nonsensical.

thetrailboss

Staff member

bottom line is, I dont agree with everything they chose to do, but to say they haven't made vast improvements since taking over from ASC, is just nonsensical.

I agree with you on both points.

steamboat1

Yeah the lift maintenance issues were well documented last year.

Still can't find a seat to eat lunch in Gatehouse on a Saturday afternoon.

Vast improvements.

Tin Woodsman

Yeah the lift maintenance issues were well documented last year.

Still can't find a seat to eat lunch in Gatehouse on a Saturday afternoon.

Vast improvements.
Peak lunch seating is definitely still an issue, though of course you could choose to sit at Valley House and have most of the place to yourself. That said, I'm not sure why you continue to discount all of the real, tangible and important upgrades this ownership group has made, preferring to focus instead on why you can't find a seat at the most crowded time on the most corwded day in the most crowded structure at the mountain.

Given your other "contributions" here, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Smellytele

Peak lunch seating is definitely still an issue, though of course you could choose to sit at Valley House and have most of the place to yourself. That said, I'm not sure why you continue to discount all of the real, tangible and important upgrades this ownership group has made, preferring to focus instead on why you can't find a seat at the most crowded time on the most corwded day in the most crowded structure at the mountain.

Given your other "contributions" here, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

What were the upgrades besides the non skiing ones?

thetrailboss

Staff member

They've done a lot of deferred maintenance and repair work due to lack of maintenance. A lot of it is invisible. Snowmaking has been a big thing....they've had to keep it going. Now we are hearing about the lifts. So yes a lot of "un-sexy" things.

steamboat1

Not much after owning the place for over a decade. Any deferred maintenance issues or lack of snowmaking improvements sit's squarely on the back of present ownership. We're not still going to blame ASC are we? Don't get me wrong I love Sugarbush but that has more to do with it's natural attributes than anything Win has done.

Last edited:

Big Game

If I was in charge, the lifts chairs would all be super models we could ride, the mountains would be covered in pure cocaine, and I'd forget that I actually hate winter.

benski

I don't believe the gate house is not big enough because on weekends there is so many extra seats in the valley house that if both lodges were equally crowded there would be plenty of room in the gate house. The real problem is the valley houses reputation for cold, low quality versions of gate house food has led to a situation were almost everybody who has a choice goes to the gate house.

steamboat1

I don't believe the gate house is not big enough because on weekends there is so many extra seats in the valley house that if both lodges were equally crowded there would be plenty of room in the gate house. The real problem is the valley houses reputation for cold, low quality versions of gate house food has led to a situation were almost everybody who has a choice goes to the gate house.
LOL....the Gatehouse cafeteria isn't exactly known for good food. I'd say it's reputation is quite the opposite.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Jesus Christ Steamboat1, get over it. You crap troll logs all over Sugarbush every chance you can get, yet you bury your nose into Killington's ball hair to your heart's content and it makes absolutely no sense.

So, on mountain improvements since 2000.

Lifts - Advantage Sugarbush - they've put in two new lifts to Killington's 1. In fact, Killington took out a lift. So, call it 2 - 0. After next season it may very well be 3 to 0 with the new Valley House lift.

Snowmaking - both places have had to deal with ASC neglect. Sugarbush never had much of a system to begin with, but Killington at least had the best foundation of a system in the east installed by Pres Smith. Given where they've both come from and where they stand today, I'd call it a tie. Killington is as good as they've always been and Sugarbush is better than they've ever.

Day lodge seating - crap on Gatehouse all you want, but there are more seats in there than the new Peak Lodge. You've also got Timbers Restaurant and Castlerock pub, though I will admit I'm not a huge fan of CRP. Killington lost the entire Mahogany Ridge bar area. The U-bars are nice when there is good weather, but it doesn't make for getting a seat in the KBL easier during much of the season. So, effectively, Sugarbush has expanded their dining options more than Killington. And the food at the Gatehouse is far and away better in quality and price than that at KBL and pretty much all of Killington's base lodges, so don't waste your time and go there.

As has been mentioned, Sugarbush has added numerous skier services buildings to improve that part of the experience. And K has added what in this area?

As a side note, why do you even care about getting a seat for lunch on busy weekends and holidays? You're the dude who brags of being retired all the time and only skiing midweek.

Moving on. Sugarbush has started a modest lodging village for themselves. Slowly but surely adding lodging and services year by year. The Killington Village has been talked about for decades and there are still only hard hats on the crickets. All one needs to do is look at the overall Real Estate picture in the two areas to see which area has improved, and which has not. Which place has seen a better appreciation in RE values over the last ten years? Hint: not Killington.

So, when you take a look at the big picture here, what area has done more for itself during the past fourteen years? Sugarbush and it's really not even close.

And all this done by a modest multi-millionaire working diligently to make his mountain and community better where as Killington has a Forbes 400 Billionaire backing it. Sugarbush is a family owned and operated ski resort. Name another family owned and operated ski resort in New England who has done as much as Win has.......I'm all ears.

So, yeah, please, for all of us. You can shut up now about your issues with Sugarbush. Here are all the people who care:

b3nzf6.jpg

ooops......forget the K stairwell. Add a couple of tenths of a point to K's score for that.

jimmywilson69

+1 DHS

maybe if ole smokeyboat1 didn't burn so many cigs down that his taste buds were toast he'd recognize that the food was light years better than the offerings at Killingtons lodges.

and for the record I love both places.

HowieT2

Jesus Christ Steamboat1, get over it. You crap troll logs all over Sugarbush every chance you can get, yet you bury your nose into Killington's ball hair to your heart's content and it makes absolutely no sense.

Lifts - Advantage Sugarbush - they've put in two new lifts to Killington's 1. In fact, Killington took out a lift. So, call it 2 - 0. After next season it may very well be 3 to 0 with the new Valley House lift.

Snowmaking - both places have had to deal with ASC neglect. Sugarbush never had much of a system to begin with, but Killington at least had the best foundation of a system in the east installed by Pres Smith. Given where they've both come from and where they stand today, I'd call it a tie. Killington is as good as they've always been and Sugarbush is better than they've ever.

Day lodge seating - crap on Gatehouse all you want, but there are more seats in there than the new Peak Lodge. You've also got Timbers Restaurant and Castlerock pub, though I will admit I'm not a huge fan of CRP. Killington lost the entire Mahogany Ridge bar area. The U-bars are nice when there is good weather, but it doesn't make for getting a seat in the KBL easier during much of the season. So, effectively, Sugarbush has expanded their dining options more than Killington. And the food at the Gatehouse is far and away better in quality and price than that at KBL and pretty much all of Killington's base lodges, so don't waste your time and go there.

As has been mentioned, Sugarbush has added numerous skier services buildings to improve that part of the experience. And K has added what in this area?

As a side note, why do you even care about getting a seat for lunch on busy weekends and holidays? You're the dude who brags of being retired all the time and only skiing midweek.

Moving on. Sugarbush has started a modest lodging village for themselves. Slowly but surely adding lodging and services year by year. The Killington Village has been talked about for decades and there are still only hard hats on the crickets. All one needs to do is look at the overall Real Estate picture in the two areas to see which area has improved, and which has not. Which place has seen a better appreciation in RE values over the last ten years? Hint: not Killington.

So, when you take a look at the big picture here, what area has done more for itself during the past fourteen years? Sugarbush and it's really not even close.

And all this done by a modest multi-millionaire working diligently to make his mountain and community better where as Killington has a Forbes 400 Billionaire backing it. Sugarbush is a family owned and operated ski resort. Name another family owned and operated ski resort in New England who has done as much as Win has.......I'm all ears.

So, yeah, please, for all of us. You can shut up now about your issues with Sugarbush. Here are all the people who care:

b3nzf6.jpg

ooops......forget the K stairwell. Add a couple of tenths of a point to K's score for that.

well said.
And honestly, I never have trouble getting a seat for lunch in the gatehouse on Saturdays, but then again, I eat at 11:30, so I can be back out at noon.

steamboat1

I've been critical of K also. You can lick my balls

K may very well add two lifts next year (South Ridge & Snowdon)
How many new guns did Sugarbush buy this year? Killington 400
Guess you forgot about Snowshed, Ramshead, Bear, & Skyeship base lodges. Not to mention the Sunrise Cafe, Yurt & Anna's Panata all which serve food on mountain. And yes the daily special in KBL can be quite good. Peak Lodge even better
See the 5 base areas mentioned above.

Sorry that makes you jealous. Maybe someday you'll get there too. I have my doubt's though.
You can't even compare the availability of lodging between the two. What has Sugarbush added? Private residences. That does the average Joe Blow absolutely no good

Never was. K blows Sugarbush away
With EB-5 money

b3nzf6.jpg

​Really couldn't give a rats ass what you think either.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
K blows Sugarbush away. Thanks for the morning laugh. Why don't you do the Sugarbush skiers a favor and keep your troll ass down at Killington. I'm sure they've got zero interest in rubbing elbows in the lodge with a grumpy old man like yourself. I know I wouldn't.