• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WWF-VT

The hike to Castlerock was worth it today....

attachment.php

Duncanator24

Sugarbush just announced in the latest snow report that the mountain will be 100% open on Friday! This is going to be a great weekend =)

Last edited:

Tin

Spillsville today...sunny skies and fresh snow with more expected tonight

attachment.php

Awesome. A very under rated trail imo. I'll take it over its neighbors any day.

Question for you SB locals, last week when I was there patrol mentioned that groomers had been on Castlerock Run, Middle Earth, and Cotillion prior to opening them last Tuesday, is this common or just done to push down that 30" of blower they had?

sugarbushskier9

Saturday yes, Sunday maybe not so much

LOL...dirt, rock and waterbars by 11am on Saturday below mid mtn?

I was there on Saturday afternoon and there's a reason the snow report says you should ask Guest Services about the best way down. Sugarbush has one of the most lenient to non-existent standards to open a trail in New England. Even MRG keeps stuff closed that the Bush would open. Bring the rock skis and have a blast.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
The cat was up there packing it down, especially the lower elevation runs on CR, such as traverses, the runout, and such. Trying to make it through 30" of snow on some runouts wouldn't work too well for my kind (ie - snowboarders).

Word is there could be some "funk" moving in on Sunday, that's why Saturday may be better. But it will be cold on Friday for sure... so if you're MEllen bound then, bundle up!

I love the fact that they do open trails earlier than most mountains would, though everything I have ridden in the past week has been really good, coverage-wise. A few waterbars here n' there, including those on Lower Jester last week, but we're solving that problem as we speak. When 100% comes this weekend (forecasted at sugarbush.com), I'd watch the waterbars on lower-elevation Gate House runs, such as Sleeper. Our sled route on Sleeper Road will be more fun on a board than it is on a sled right now.

Smellytele

LOL...dirt, rock and waterbars by 11am on Saturday below mid mtn?

I was there on Saturday afternoon and there's a reason the snow report says you should ask Guest Services about the best way down. Sugarbush has one of the most lenient to non-existent standards to open a trail in New England. Even MRG keeps stuff closed that the Bush would open. Bring the rock skis and have a blast.

I am talking this coming weekend and the weather

cdskier

CR was nice today. Glad I decided to hike over.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1481682747.329268.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Hawk

They are saying in today's report that the mountain will be 100% open on Friday including all of Mt Ellen, Castlerock, Gate house and North Linx. That is pretty awesome. I think I might be sick cough....cough.

Hawk

Not sure what forecast you are looking at. The ones I watch have been saying all week that with the push of frigid air, Sugarbush should get snow and squalls starting today and for the next 2 days.
Never sure if it’s worth trusting the weather report for 3-5 days ahead. This morning was predicted to be sunny and it’s currently nuking snow at 8 AM.

Smellytele

Never sure if it’s worth trusting the weather report for 3-5 days ahead. This morning was predicted to be sunny and it’s currently nuking snow at 8 AM.

Friday Night
Snow showers likely, mainly after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday
Snow. High near 30. Very windy, with a south wind 31 to 41 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Saturday Night
Snow and sleet before midnight, then freezing rain between midnight and 4am, then sleet after 4am. Low around 24. Very windy, with a southwest wind 34 to 44 mph increasing to 45 to 55 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Sunday
Rain, snow, and sleet before 2pm, then rain and snow likely between 2pm and 3pm, then snow likely after 3pm. High near 37. Windy, with a northwest wind 28 to 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

WWF-VT

A few reports had sun forecast or this AM with clouds and snow showers later. FWIW here is the mornings snow report....

Look for morning sunshine turning into clouds to start the day with temps in the single digits to low 20's, top to bottom

Jully

Sunday
Rain, snow, and sleet before 2pm, then rain and snow likely between 2pm and 3pm, then snow likely after 3pm. High near 37. Windy, with a northwest wind 28 to 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

That's not that bad at all! I mean, not ideal, but not bad.

sugarbushskier9

Mountain was in great shape today...nice to have some more groomed options. Really nice surprise to have a squall dump a quick 1-2" (aka 4" in the snow cam hole) that really freshened itup. Sick to get these dailyrefreshes. Hiked to CR and had a sweet run down Middle Earth. That terrain couldn't with stand lift traffic but right now it's perfect as a hike venue and I almost hope they have *cough* mechanical difficulties with the CR lift and cant run it this season lol.

cdskier

Rain between midnight and 3pm

On the plus side...that wet weather should help fill the snowmaking pond again. Just heard from a reliable source it is getting very low at the moment.

And today was definitely another beautiful day on the mountain. Murphys is skiing better than ever. I almost don't want them to make any snow on it at this point...of course I may change my mind after the weekend weather event.

I also noticed in the afternoon snow report that they backed off the 100% open on Friday prediction. Someone must not feel gate house and/or north Lynx are ready yet. They are still saying ME will be fully open on Friday though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's interesting about maybe not 100%. I got a marketing Email this AM crowing about 100% open.