• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

nhskier1969

From Sugarbush's snow report this morning; "Groomers are putting the finishing touches on 59 trails"
I am still waiting on the finishing touches. Awful Job grooming last night. Murphys, Birdland and Lower Organgrinder to name a few were awful, ruts and holes in the grooming with death cookies on the side. Maybe they should slowdown and take their time next time grooming so they can put the "finishing touches on the trails"

keyser soze

I was there last Sunday a.m. and the conditions were pretty bad. Up top was decent where it had snowed rather than rained the day/night before, but after ~ 1/4 of the way down it was frozen solid. It did not look/feel like they had done any grooming to loosen up the ice. My ski buddy was on teles and not enjoying it at all, so we took maybe 4 runs and called it a day. We were able to get a voucher since it was < 1 hour of skiing, which was a good thing.

nhskier1969

I was there last Sunday a.m. and the conditions were pretty bad. Up top was decent where it had snowed rather than rained the day/night before, but after ~ 1/4 of the way down it was frozen solid. It did not look/feel like they had done any grooming to loosen up the ice. My ski buddy was on teles and not enjoying it at all, so we took maybe 4 runs and called it a day. We were able to get a voucher since it was < 1 hour of skiing, which was a good thing.

I rather see them take their time and either groom fewer runs or have delayed openings on some trails to finish up grooming in the morning.

cdskier

I can't blame Sugarbush at all for the conditions last Sunday. Conditions were exactly as you would expect given the weather we had last Saturday night into Sunday. Top half to maybe even 2/3 was fine last Sunday morning. Conditions didn't deteriorate until about halfway down Snowball somewhere around the the entrance to Twist. Temps didn't drop below freezing at the base until around 1:30 am. The main mountain opens at 8am (actually 7:30am for the early ups people on the weekend). That's less than 6 hours from the time the temps dipped below freezing until the lifts opened. And realistically the surface doesn't set up as soon as the temps hit freezing...which means there was even less time to attempt to groom after it froze. There's only so much you can do with that narrow of a window of below freezing temps. If they took the approach of grooming less trails and simply starting later after it froze, there would have been plenty of other people saying "why weren't more trails groomed."

Today is a different story. I'm not there so I can't comment directly on the conditions, but looking at temp data does show it was below freezing at the base by 4pm yesterday. How wet the snow was before that and how long it took to set up I can't say. In theory they should have had ample time to groom and put down a decent surface, but I also can't say I'm surprised to hear about significant ruts as I've seen the same thing a couple other times this season.

Hawk

So it got warm and then cooled off. That were the cards we were dealt. I can understand that the conditions were not great but on a day like last sunday, I can't blame the grooming crew. Ski up high was the solution for the most part. Also there is not a huge non compacted base right now. The groomers can't be asked to make beautiful ground up groom surface with that base right now. Take that very wet base snow they laid down, add two or 3 rain events and it is what it is. And as I have always championed, a quick coating of dryer snowmaking always works best after one of these events.

wa-loaf

Heading up today for 3 days. 2 days of warm and rainy and then a freeze ... its gonna be great ...

Orca

Hard to catch a break right now. This week looks very rough. Tuesday rain, Wednesday warm and probably the best day of the week, Thursday it gets cold and all that warm snow will set like concrete with no time to groom, Friday groomed concrete. This winter has been tough.

djd66

Sorry to hear about the crappy conditions in VT. The good news is the Mountain Collective works like a charm at Snowmass. 50% off as advertised, and they were able to load up our cards in one visit to the ticket booth. The other cool thing is 51" in the past 2 weeks and it's dumping right now - expected to get 18". I don't know how many more crappy VT winters I have left in me.

1dog

I don't deny its been a cruel winter at times, but Sunday had a good 5-6" of fresh and as long as you actually got out early or went i nto the woods, it was a vast imporvement over Sat, noise and crunchiness - even Sat with those 2" of snow Fri night helped.

Between Spills woods Gansta/even Highway 21, were really ok - only thing skied out was Lews ans thats because their is but two lines in headwall.
Had fresh in Domino woods as late as 10:30.

Its what makes a NE skier a NE skier.

And watch, because we're headed to the Stoke, - best snow in all the 10 years its been open - the dump to the Green Mountains is sure to come in 2 weeks. Guaranteed.

Tough it out boys and girls - don't give in to complaining.whining-bitchin' - as the middle class we are the richest 10% of people on earth with access to more lift-serviced terrain than anyone's ever had - ever.

WinS

Remember last year. This week a year ago it got warm and we thought Winter was over and then Stella arrived and we had some of the best skiing of the year and skied into May!

bdfreetuna

Remember last year. This week a year ago it got warm and we thought Winter was over and then Stella arrived and we had some of the best skiing of the year and skied into May!

Yup. Similar timing and this looks to be a bit shorter of a meltdown.

WWF-VT

Im out..frozen groomers and ice moguls..no warmup..heavy wind..mrs slug is done..

Did you ski the same Mt Ellen that I did on Sunday ? You had to endure few icy bumps on Exterminator to hit the powder on Lower Exterminator. Lower FIS was soft natural snow with a fast run out. Inverness chair was the best option at Sugarbush. No racing on Sunday left us with hero snow on Inverness and Brambles, Walt's had no ice and powder mid day and Semi Tough Woods was a lot of fun.

mikec142

Sunday was a ton of fun at Lincoln Peak. Sharp edges helped and there was a lot of fun stuff in the trees. I give Sugarbusg a ton of credit for dealing well with these crappy breaks they've endured. A friend of mine and his daughter are visiting UVM this coming weekend and I might join them. Gonna be a last minute call given the poor forecast. Glad I spent three ski days in VT this past weekend. Did a tour of UVM with my oldest today. Fingers crossed.

kingslug

Stowe sunday..lots of fun..went to SB monday for a change..it changed.
Did see some brave souls on the mogul runs..SB has some of the best mogul runs and mogul skiers so they where ok..me..not a fan of icy bumps. Tough February.

mikec142

I find that I'm always saying this to my family when we are at SB..."The ability of the average skier at SB is higher than any other place I've skied on the east coast". It's part of the reason I love skiing there. We get better from watching and learning while we are on the lift. I saw people absolutely crushing the moguls on Sunday. So much fun to watch (and try myself).