• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

smootharc

Snowfall totals, statistical "massaging", and the truth....anyone ?

I notice Stowe's website claims "Annual Snowfall 333 inches". While the 'bush claims annual snowfall totals of 262". I realize you can statistically "nudge" true snowfall facts in just about any direction.....but I was under the impression (recall somewhere in the recesses of the much abused gray matter) that the 'Bush/Glen received about equal to Stowe/Smuggs, if not historically a touch more of the white frosting. Something to do with the barren plain west of the 'bush, and the storms bumping into the ridge from Lincoln to Stark and dropping that "little extra" due to those conditions or somesuch. Just didn't think Stowe outpaced the valley quite so dramatically. Is Stowe's PR department working overtime, or measuring inches in a different way ? Hmmm...suddenly I got curious.

Am I skiing frozen crud with this thinking ? Anyone ?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Snowfall totals, statistical "massaging", and the truth....anyone ?

smootharc said:
I notice Stowe's website claims "Annual Snowfall 333 inches".

Yeah, right. That just allows them to justify the high rates :roll:

While the 'bush claims annual snowfall totals of 262".

I think this is brutally honest.

I realize you can statistically "nudge" true snowfall facts in just about any direction.....but I was under the impression (recall somewhere in the recesses of the much abused gray matter) that the 'Bush/Glen received about equal to Stowe/Smuggs, if not historically a touch more of the white frosting. Something to do with the barren plain west of the 'bush, and the storms bumping into the ridge from Lincoln to Stark and dropping that "little extra" due to those conditions or somesuch. Just didn't think Stowe outpaced the valley quite so dramatically.

Yeah, the 'bush gets a lot. What does MRG say?

Is Stowe's PR department working overtime, or measuring inches in a different way ? Hmmm...suddenly I got curious.

I also recall seeing Stowe boasting amounts in the 2-- range. But think about who in the NE over the past ten years or so boasts a 3-- or even 4-- snow season and has been siphoning skiers and riders away from other places with great glades, more snow, and less prices? Any guesses? So Stowe either

(a) HAS all of the sudden gotten more snow than normal, or

(b) Are trying to compete with that Peak that gets a lot of snow.

:roll:

Treeskier

2 inches on Rte 17

Check out Mad River Glen's web cam. Snow in the valley!!!

Lostone

Snow in the valley??

I wouldn't believe it!

55172447_4dda2c81fa.jpg

I don't see no stupid snow!

:beer:

noski

If you want to watch snow

If you want to see the snow, when it changes from rain, go to the Valley's website and click on the live webcam link. I think only 20 can view at once, so if you get a blank screen, wait a few seconds and refresh.

Greg

Staff member
Re: If you want to watch snow

noski said:
If you want to see the snow, when it changes from rain, go to the Valley's website and click on the live webcam link. I think only 20 can view at once, so if you get a blank screen, wait a few seconds and refresh.
Cool! 9:20 AM - still rain...

Lostone

It is snowing on the mountain right now. :)

It's still mostly rain, but there is a lot of snow mixed in. And at times it is all snow. :)

If this happens... I'm not dumb enough to hike up with my skis, am I? :-? :wink:

Lostone

And I doubt you could see the snow on the valley cam... just the effects of it, as it builds up.

We need more resolution. And then a way to zoom it. And to change direction. And... :wink: :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Lostone said:
If this happens... I'm not dumb enough to hike up with my skis, am I? :-? :wink:
I hope you are. Please take some pics!

noski

It's hard to see yet on the Valley Cam, but the rain is changing over just enough to see that it is soon to be snow at the MRV floor.