• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

yeggous

Unfortunately I used a ticket one week ago. It wasn't terrible but definitely didn't look like that

I noticed that the snow report lists the Castlerock and Slide Brook chairs as closed. True story? Makes me much less motivated to go.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

I don't know about you all but if I'm paying for a lift ticket I don't have time to spend hiking over to Castlerock... unless I'm bored at the end of the day and I really want to do Rumble

especially when you can skate along the Long Trail and find better stuff between Paradise and Church for way less effort.

As far as I'm concerned if the chair is closed they should say the trails are closed and stop boasting a trail count that isn't realistic for most people.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't know about you all but if I'm paying for a lift ticket I don't have time to spend hiking over to Castlerock... unless I'm bored at the end of the day and I really want to do Rumble

especially when you can skate along the Long Trail and find better stuff between Paradise and Church for way less effort.

As far as I'm concerned if the chair is closed they should say the trails are closed and stop boasting a trail count that isn't realistic for most people.

Agree. I was always skeptical of that practice

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

benski

Agree. I was always skeptical of that practice

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Would rather them be closed? Probably results in the moguls being shaped better since it limits access to only hard core skiers who are better than the people who would make moguls if the lift was open.

bdfreetuna

Wouldn't rather them be closed. It's a slow double chair, Castlerock doesn't have issues with too much skier traffic. The rate that the chair brings people up the hill is pretty self limiting.

That said I also don't think more skiers always = worse bumps. In a season like this it probably means big bumps vs. small bumps on Castlerock.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Would rather them be closed? Probably results in the moguls being shaped better since it limits access to only hard core skiers who are better than the people who would make moguls if the lift was open.

If I were a Sugarbush skier, I'd want the lift spinning if they want to open the trails.

I guess I'm not "hardcore" because I have no desire to hike for turns when there's a lift right there. Even if it means the moguls would be better. (Debatable) My message to management would be, "run the lift and look for other options to save costs."

If it were like Outpost at Pico with literally a five minute walk and practically fully served by an adjacent lift, I'd feel a bit differently. It's not. It's a 1500 vertical pod with some of the premier expert terrain on the hill. Run the lift.

cdskier

Wouldn't rather them be closed. It's a slow double chair, Castlerock doesn't have issues with too much skier traffic. The rate that the chair brings people up the hill is pretty self limiting.

The chair can bring a LOT more people up vs allowing hiking only access. I have no issues with the practice of allowing hiking access when the cover simply wouldn't support the number of people that the chair would bring up. Being "open" provides people that are interested an official option to ski that area. It also means patrol deems it skiable. I've never taken advantage of the hiking option myself, but would certainly be interested in doing so one day if I was with a group willing to do it.

nhskier1969

If I were a Sugarbush skier, I'd want the lift spinning if they want to open the trails.

I guess I'm not "hardcore" because I have no desire to hike for turns when there's a lift right there. Even if it means the moguls would be better. (Debatable) My message to management would be, "run the lift and look for other options to save costs."

If it were like Outpost at Pico with literally a five minute walk and practically fully served by an adjacent lift, I'd feel a bit differently. It's not. It's a 1500 vertical pod with some of the premier expert terrain on the hill. Run the lift.

They are not looking to save money, they are looking to save the snow. and the snow was great.
Pic below is of Castlerock run. If you don't want to hike it great, more snow for me.
IMG_1207.jpg

bdfreetuna

If they want to preserve snow on Lift line for the Ski the East competition or whatever, close that trail and let the snow sit there.

Closing the other 3 trails on Castlerock is just making people hike unnecessarily. It's a lift accessed mountain and it's "prime season". No legitimate excuse to close the whole mountain.

Why does Middle Earth need "snow preservation" while Paradise does just fine with a quad running to the top? Doesn't make sense. Just an excuse not to run a rickety old lift that's probably on it's last legs.

HowieT2

If it's for snow preservation, I guess I can understand that. I was unaware that was the motivation

all about snow preservation. Paradise was skied bare from traffic, but castlerock still had plenty of powder at close yesterday. I hiked it twice yesterday. Putting aside the issue of whether it's legitimate to call the trails "open", I and pretty much everyone I know want those trails open, lift or no lift. And I'd prefer no lift, to having the lift run and have it skied off by midday. It's an easy hike. 15 minutes. My wife has even done it, so it doesn't have anything to do with being hardcore.

fwiw-skied paradise woods today. Surprisingly good.

HowieT2

If they want to preserve snow on Lift line for the Ski the East competition or whatever, close that trail and let the snow sit there.

Closing the other 3 trails on Castlerock is just making people hike unnecessarily. It's a lift accessed mountain and it's "prime season". No legitimate excuse to close the whole mountain.

Why does Middle Earth need "snow preservation" while Paradise does just fine with a quad running to the top? Doesn't make sense. Just an excuse not to run a rickety old lift that's probably on it's last legs.

First of all, paradise has a triple feeding it, not a quad, and having skied it today, I can tell you it was skied bare from the traffic.
and, no offense, but you don't what your talking about. The castlerock double is relatively new, having been installed in 2001.

djd66

Dude - have you ever even skied Castlerock? Based on you comments,... I would have to say no. FYI - the Caslerock Double is the second newest chair at SB. Personally, I have no issue with them opening CR for hiking only. It did not have enough snow to support traffic of people riding lift - but enough snow for hiking only.

HowieT2

Dude - have you ever even skied Castlerock? Based on you comments,... I would have to say no. FYI - the Caslerock Double is the second newest chair at SB. Personally, I have no issue with them opening CR for hiking only. It did not have enough snow to support traffic of people riding lift - but enough snow for hiking only.

If you think about it, the lift takes about 10 minutes to ride up, plus some time waiting in line, so the hike really is no big deal time wise. I. Know some guys who hiked 5 times yesterday. It's a good workout and the snow was worth the effort.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You can make that hike from the base of the chair in only five minutes longer than it takes to ride the lift? That's impressive. It's almost a mile in length. 15 minutes is a brisk paced mile while walking on pavement in street shoes. Average person does that in about 20 minutes.

Up a steep snowy hill, in ski boots with skis on my back, I would figure closer to 30 minutes

mrvpilgrim

coverage up there is variable and thin for the most part. There is a huge difference between 50 to 100 skiers hiking it in a day vs 50 to 100 people an hour on the trails if the chair were running. I venture a guess that one day with the lift running and the terrain would have to be shut down all together until more snow arrives. Hiking only the trails are still patrolled and swept at the end of the day