• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

yeggous

Look how many 19-34 year olds are living in their parents basements and there's your answer.

Look at the student loan debt and there is your cause. In my house our student loan debt is greater than our mortgage debt. Factor in the interest rate and fact that student loans are not deductible and our net cost of the loans is more than double our mortgage. And we own a single family home in the Boston suburbs.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

djd66

I'm all for Sugarbush competing and getting plenty of business - but enough already with these deals! I'm one of the people that pay full price for passes and full price for Blazers. No deal for me :-x The bush has gotten a lot more crowded and it's really starting to ski like Killington. All these deals are what is driving it.

WWF-VT

I'm all for Sugarbush competing and getting plenty of business - but enough already with these deals! I'm one of the people that pay full price for passes and full price for Blazers. No deal for me :-x The bush has gotten a lot more crowded and it's really starting to ski like Killington. All these deals are what is driving it.

I'm waiting for the "Mid 50's and Paying for Your Kids' Big College Tuition Bill" pass deal.

rtjcbrown

I think an interesting deal would be a "Long distance relationship" pass. Your pass will be discounted one dollar for every mile away from Sugarbush that your home address is. Example: If you live in Southern NY and you are a 225 mile drive (one way) to Sugarbush, then your pass is discounted 225 dollars. Must be able to prove this is your full time residence.

Jully

I think an interesting deal would be a "Long distance relationship" pass. Your pass will be discounted one dollar for every mile away from Sugarbush that your home address is. Example: If you live in Southern NY and you are a 225 mile drive (one way) to Sugarbush, then your pass is discounted 225 dollars. Must be able to prove this is your full time residence.

That would bug locals a whole lot though. Many other places have cheaper passes for locals already!

steamboat1

I don't think charging locals more would go over very well.

Smellytele

It should work the other way around...

WWF-VT

I ride the lifts at Mt Ellen with a lot of locals that buy Mt Ellen passes. It's the best deal around for a mountain with a lot of vertical, challenging terrain and high speed lifts with relatively uncrowded slopes on weekends

dlague

I ride the lifts at Mt Ellen with a lot of locals that buy Mt Ellen passes. It's the best deal around for a mountain with a lot of vertical, challenging terrain and high speed lifts with relatively uncrowded slopes on weekends

We considered that as an option when we live back east but the two hour drive at the time seemed to be a lot at the time to do it frequently. Cannon became a great option for us.

Now 1.5 to 2+ hours will our norm. But I like our new options.

speeddemon

I'd like to ask if anyone who has the experience can share their using the Village Run trail as a quasi ski in/ski out trail? the place I'm considering skiing out of this year is right along side that trail. On maps, it looks like a ski down, short walk to lifts and the ability to ski all the way back. However, what I don't know is usual conditions, terrain, accessibility, etc? or if they actually make snow on it in the event we have another slow start to the natural snow season. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks.

cdskier

I've used Village Run a couple times to get back to my condo. It is very flat at the top and a decent workout on the traverse up there. I personally usually either take the shuttle back and forth or drive over. It is definitely only a "ski back to your condo" trail. You have to find another way to get back to the lifts (i.e. shuttle bus). There is no snowmaking so it is only open when weather allows.

dlague

I've used Village Run a couple times to get back to my condo. It is very flat at the top and a decent workout on the traverse up there. I personally usually either take the shuttle back and forth or drive over. It is definitely only a "ski back to your condo" trail. You have to find another way to get back to the lifts (i.e. shuttle bus). There is no snowmaking so it is only open when weather allows.

And probably part of their trail count.

tumbler

I am also getting a bit tired of all these pass deals that are significantly increasing skier numbers. It's Win's right to do what he wants and to try and make as much money as he can is the short window of winter but can the guest amenity spaces be increased proportionaly with the higher skier visits? Gate House is already too small for lunch and to get apres drinks. Increase size or renovate Valley House and/or really explore the lodge at the top of Gate House lift.

Jully

I am also getting a bit tired of all these pass deals that are significantly increasing skier numbers. It's Win's right to do what he wants and to try and make as much money as he can is the short window of winter but can the guest amenity spaces be increased proportionaly with the higher skier visits? Gate House is already too small for lunch and to get apres drinks. Increase size or renovate Valley House and/or really explore the lodge at the top of Gate House lift.

I am always surprised at how small Sugarbush's lodges were in comparison to similarly sized resorts.

steamboat1

I am always surprised at how small Sugarbush's lodges were in comparison to similarly sized resorts.
I've mentioned this before but I think the Gate House Lodge has ample room to add another level inside above where the main seating & cafeteria are. They could even leave the center open & just add another level on each side for additional seating during busy times. The lodge has a very high ceiling. I don't have an answer for what could be done with the storage room & Castlerock Pub which are also problem areas.