• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Also possible they want to wait and make a call in the morning after seeing what they get done tonight?

Apparently not...still not even listed as opening for tomorrow after making snow all last night and into today. Super cold weather and they couldn't get top to bottom for opening day. I was impressed they opened Snowball/Spring Fling so early...but I'm far less impressed now that they still couldn't get the top open. I'm guessing Downspout must still be not ready.

cdskier

They are using it for snowmakers. With good temps coming HG should be open.

The trail report shows snow-making targeted for a bunch of lower mountain trails next (unless it is a mistake)...including Steins (have they ever made snow on that trail THIS early?), Lower DS, Lower Jester, Coffee Run, and First Time. None of the HG trails (including DS) are on the report which hopefully means they're now done making snow up there on OG, Jester, and DS and will open those trails soon.

If the Stein's part is accurate, I'm not sure I agree on that next. I'd rather Lower OG actually this time of year.

nhskier1969

The trail report shows snow-making targeted for a bunch of lower mountain trails next (unless it is a mistake)...including Steins (have they ever made snow on that trail THIS early?), Lower DS, Lower Jester, Coffee Run, and First Time. None of the HG trails (including DS) are on the report which hopefully means they're now done making snow up there on OG, Jester, and DS and will open those trails soon.

If the Stein's part is accurate, I'm not sure I agree on that next. I'd rather Lower OG actually this time of year.

I hope Heaven gate is ok. I can understand the lower downspout run out, but steins over Ripcord. Also no word when the upper mtns is going to open. I wish someone from the hill will fill us in.

cdskier

I hope Heaven gate is ok. I can understand the lower downspout run out, but steins over Ripcord. Also no word when the upper mtns is going to open. I wish someone from the hill will fill us in.

I can understand Stein's over Ripcord if you think you'll have good enough temps down low to take advantage of that with the thought of being able to go back up to hit RC when temps down low become marginal at some point.

But, no word at all on when the upper mountain is opening is very odd for sure. Even if DS needed more snow a few days ago, they should have been able to finish it up Friday-Saturday before it warmed up.

This is where having a functional SkiMRV forum would be great so we could get word directly from Win. Is something wrong? Or are they just taking their time letting the snow drain out before they groom it?

WWF-VT

I skied yesterday. Fast and firm conditions but a good opening day and most people were pleased with the trail options and no need to download. Might have been an economic decision to just run the Valley House chair instead of 3 lifts on day one.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I believe they are waiting to push out Downspout and Jester, letting it drain out first. That may be on the push list for tonight. There's nothing wrong with HG. I rode it Friday night. I believe for tonight we're gonna concentrate on pushing from the bottom of HG to the base via lower DS/lower Jester/Coffee Run and hit the base area towards Gate House/First Time. Stein's may be a backup if we have any water left over once we get everything else online. Once DS is pushed out, then it can be determined if that needs more snow or not.

We're trying something different with DS this year, using land guns instead of towers. The towers over the past few years have gotten super buried and the snow we made ends up more in the woods than on the trail. This year, everything we've made has largely ended up on the trail.

Depending on temps this week, we may be able to lock in the Bravo top-to-bottom route to eliminate having to upload on HG to get back to the open trail network. Having multiple routes takes the pressure off DS.

I'll know more after tonight's shift.

cdskier

Thanks for the update Shady. Good to know there's nothing wrong. I had a feeling you were using land guns on DS this year based on your earlier comment that Pushover would be easier this year after moving the towers from DS to there. Could certainly work out better based on what you're saying.

benski

Is it important to have lower downspout open for mountain ops? Just my think its one of the more boring trails to open and with one top to bottom route open, why prioritize it. Probably smart to close downspout with guns in the middle.

cdskier

Is it important to have lower downspout open for mountain ops? Just my think its one of the more boring trails to open and with one top to bottom route open, why prioritize it. Probably smart to close downspout with guns in the middle.

It is considered an important trail as it eliminates the need to upload on HG after skiing OG in order to get to the base. Without Lower DS, if you ski OG, you have to upload on HG and ski down Jester and then across the VH traverse if you want to go back to the base.

teleo

Glad to hear the gate is running. I was starting to get worried. Was good to get back on snow this weekend. Thanks to you and the crews Shady.

Gotta believe lower DS is important for patrol. If someone gets injured on deathspout, much better to be able to sled them down.

jimmywilson69

Must've had extra water as snowmaking is rolling on Steins. Interesting to see them switch gears completely this year on the rollout. If they get lower DS open, they will have the ability to really spread crowds out, therefore minimizing the death spout effect.

tumbler

I’m surprised Steins over Lower OG. Steins is shorter, less guns but LOG is more needed and can open with less snow. Steeper terrain takes more depth. We’ll see how it plays out. I’m hoping it works for my skiing sake.

benski

also Steins requires you to take valley house traverse without the valley house, Once downspout is open the valley house will probably be closed till Christmas, barring no issues with bravo, this is a big issue. On the plus side, I think a mogul run will stand out early season, and such runs stay interesting for longer.

cdskier

also Steins requires you to take valley house traverse without the valley house, Once downspout is open the valley house will probably be closed till Christmas, barring no issues with bravo, this is a big issue. On the plus side, I think a mogul run will stand out early season, and such runs stay interesting for longer.

I don't think this is an issue. I wouldn't at all be surprised to still see the VH chair running weekends even once Super Bravo opens, especially given the terrain open on that side of the mountain.

Also looks like they are now starting to push out DS. I see a groomer on the HG webcam.

Hawk

I don't know. It still amazes me that after two weeks of pretty good snow making temperatures they can only muster 2 trails. There were lots of rumors flying around on Saturday at the bar. They ran out of water..... Didn't want to staff 3 lifts.....there simply was not enough snow to open jester or downspout. I actually got it first hand an understand the issues but you know what they say. In the absence of a clear message, people will believe nearly anything they hear. So where is the clear message?

bumpcrasher

I don't know. It still amazes me that after two weeks of pretty good snow making temperatures they can only muster 2 trails. There were lots of rumors flying around on Saturday at the bar. They ran out of water..... Didn't want to staff 3 lifts.....there simply was not enough snow to open jester or downspout. I actually got it first hand an understand the issues but you know what they say. In the absence of a clear message, people will believe nearly anything they hear. So where is the clear message?

Agreed!! Rumors are flying. To add one, "I heard" the state inspector was not scheduled to do the load test on Super Bravo until this Wednesday. Again, not sure this info is accurate (from an employee--not naming names!) but in the absence of any additional information, kind of left to speculate on why they would not have Heaven's Gate open.

slatham

A friend who was up this weekend said that he heard that it was a combination of preserving snow (due to forecasted rain) and due to the lack of people expected (due to forecasted rain). While I understand the hesitancy of communicating the 2nd part, the 1st reason is very legit and I think most would understand given how early it is and the desire to have the best possible skiing for Thanksgiving.