• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Glad to see that they are opening tomorrow. Odd choice selection though. Different from years past. Anyone know why?

Because there was record cold and they decided to make snow on that and then move back up high. They have been running Jester, OG and DS so it wouldnt surprise me if at least Jester/DS opened for the weekend. An interesting change, we'll see how it works out.

Tumbler hit the nail on the head. They took advantage of super low temps down low with the expectation that they'd return to focusing on upper mountain terrain when temps at the bottom were not as good. Thursday night and then especially Friday night should have good temps up high to allow them to finish up Jester/DS/OG ideally if they don't yet have enough snow. I still wish there was a good webcam view showing the top of the mountain so we could see what (if any) guns are going. Mount a webcam on the Super Bravo upper terminal looking towards the summit...that would be perfect.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Because there was record cold and they decided to make snow on that and then move back up high. They have been running Jester, OG and DS so it wouldnt surprise me if at least Jester/DS opened for the weekend. An interesting change, we'll see how it works out.

Interesting. And are the newer guns on the Spring Fling/Snowball run?

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
SB/Fling is all towers. We hit it hard when it was cold and is a fairly easy run to maintain, providing the wind is good.

We're offline until Thursday night, when we're back at it when temps drop. I haven't been up there since Monday AM but the web cam at the bottom of Heaven's Gate is yielding more snow down there, but most likely still needs some work to get the corral area. Don't know if what we've made on DS/Jester since Sunday has been pushed out. I'll find out tomorrow night.

tumbler

Just looked at the webcam and the rfid gate at bravo is turned 90’ so it is further away from the loading zone. I️ wonder how they will run the corral this year? The same merging or four rows and “front row”

slatham

Interesting. And are the newer guns on the Spring Fling/Snowball run?

You probably know this but they put in new and significantly bigger water pipes on SB/SF a few years ago which radically changed the amount of output. Shady an others can provide details on sizes.....

djd66

Just looked at the webcam and the rfid gate at bravo is turned 90’ so it is further away from the loading zone. I️ wonder how they will run the corral this year? The same merging or four rows and “front row”

I noticed that too. Maybe they do know what they are doing.

Hawk

When are they going to open Heavens Gate? I would hate to think we will only be able to ski just Spring fling all weekend?

cdskier

When are they going to open Heavens Gate? I would hate to think we will only be able to ski just Spring fling all weekend?

As soon as they finish making snow on DS. Ideally that happens today so it can open tomorrow.

tumbler

I would hope HG tomorrow with Jester and OG. They have been blowing up there for a while and temps are good right now. Guns going at bottom of HG. Let us know how it is.

cdskier

I would hope HG tomorrow with Jester and OG. They have been blowing up there for a while and temps are good right now. Guns going at bottom of HG. Let us know how it is.

Temps have dropped considerably in the past hour from when I first looked. Was 24 mid before, now down to 19 mid. They should be getting some really good production today to finish up what needs to be finished.

teleo

Are you kidding me? That is crazy. Something must have done wrong. Wonder what the story is behind this.

teleo

Are you kidding me? That is crazy. Something must have gone wrong. Wonder what the story is behind this.

slatham

Report update this afternoon saying tomorrow is just SB-SF. I am a bit surprised by that......

Here's the report:
"We're wrapping up another terrific Opening Day for the 2017 - 2018 season under sunny skies and crisp temperatures in the mid 20's. Tomorrow's temperatures should steadily rise to the mid 30s throughout the day with increasing clouds.

Valley House Quad will open 9 to 4 PM for advanced skiing and riding on Snowball and Spring Fling. Sample Sugarbush Parks' first 5 features of the season near the beginning of Snowball."

I do not discount very poor reporting where the first paragraph is an update, while the second paragraph (and the rest of the report which I did not include) are left over from today. But that would be pretty lame.

cdskier

Here's the report:
"We're wrapping up another terrific Opening Day for the 2017 - 2018 season under sunny skies and crisp temperatures in the mid 20's. Tomorrow's temperatures should steadily rise to the mid 30s throughout the day with increasing clouds.

Valley House Quad will open 9 to 4 PM for advanced skiing and riding on Snowball and Spring Fling. Sample Sugarbush Parks' first 5 features of the season near the beginning of Snowball."

I do not discount very poor reporting where the first paragraph is an update, while the second paragraph (and the rest of the report which I did not include) are left over from today. But that would be pretty lame.

Also possible they want to wait and make a call in the morning after seeing what they get done tonight?

slatham

Also possible they want to wait and make a call in the morning after seeing what they get done tonight?

Sure that could be, but the lack of communication, especially vs. the comp, is really astonishing. They just posted on FB with no mention of tomorrow's plans.

cdskier

Sure that could be, but the lack of communication, especially vs. the comp, is really astonishing. They just posted on FB with no mention of tomorrow's plans.

To be honest I've felt their snow reports have been pretty poor for several years now at least. All fluff and no substance... They spend more time talking about events going on than they do about the actual conditions.