• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

I doubt that saves you time unless you have crazy stamina since you sit less, have no foot rests and longer runs. I times it last year and you probably have to skate the traverse to make to save more than a few seconds.

No it does save you time unless the traverse is really sticky. You also have to understand Brooks. Stamina and Strength is not an issue with him.

Jcb890

Damn, for $20 I kind of want to represent for the snowboarders... but I think I'm helping my brother move tomorrow. Bummer.

SIKSKIER

If liftblog is correct and all things being equal as far the lifts never stopping,the Super Bravo chair is 2 miutes faster.Have not been there for 10 years but iirc I would think its no more than 1 minute to do that traverse.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If liftblog is correct and all things being equal as far the lifts never stopping,the Super Bravo chair is 2 miutes faster.Have not been there for 10 years but iirc I would think its no more than 1 minute to do that traverse.

That's a long traverse. Longer than a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

That's a long traverse. Longer than a minute.

I think it can be done in a minute under the right conditions. I timed myself this morning and it took me 1:45 to get from the top of bravo across the vht. Conditions were slow today though and I'm sure people could beat my time even today with fresh spring wax and more speed.

Not a particularly nice day for the event today though. Lots of low clouds impacting visibility at times and even a bit of a shower at times. I heard they only had 24 participants.

On a positive note, I thought skiing this morning was quite nice. Glad they were able to keep heavens gate open as organgrinder still has deep snow. I was lapping that for a while. Og might last longer than anything else for those willing to hike once hg closes.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think it can be done in a minute under the right conditions. I timed myself this morning and it took me 1:45 to get from the top of bravo across the vht. Conditions were slow today though and I'm sure people could beat my time even today with fresh spring wax and more speed.

Not a particularly nice day for the event today though. Lots of low clouds impacting visibility at times and even a bit of a shower at times. I heard they only had 24 participants.

On a positive note, I thought skiing this morning was quite nice. Glad they were able to keep heavens gate open as organgrinder still has deep snow. I was lapping that for a while. Og might last longer than anything else for those willing to hike once hg closes.

Yeah if it is firm and fast and there's no traffic you just cruise along. I always remember it being busy.

WWF-VT

Competitors were restricted to using the Valley House chair for the competition and my son completed 22 laps and finished 3rd

cdskier

Competitors were restricted to using the Valley House chair for the competition and my son completed 22 laps and finished 3rd

I thought it looked like they were requiring use of the vh chair. Good decision to make everything equal. 22 is impressive under the conditions. It seemed much bumpier than I remember it being last year.

cdskier

So are they done or pretty close to it?

Closed mid-week, but goal is to re-open for next Saturday-Monday to make it to May. Even if the weather cooperates, I would expect they will still need to move some snow around. The very bottom of Stein's was only about 15 feet wide in one spot. Most of Steins has decent depth though and the Coffee Run runout is deep as well. Spring Fling has good depth too, but Snowball will probably require moving some snow around if they can manage to keep it open. I'd expect that would be all that's left next weekend and that they will run only the VH Quad. OG on HG could easily last, but Jester and Downspout won't so it doesn't matter how much snow OG has left. Lower Snowball/Racers Edge, Birdland, Murphy's and part of Lower OG were also open this weekend, but I'd be surprised if any of them make it to next weekend.

mikec142

I know this is probably a stupid question, I'm assuming that people hike to the top of Lincoln Peak in the Summer. What's the main route up? I've spent plenty of time at SB in the winter, but never in the summer and would like to get up to VT this summer for a change.

mikec142

Can't figure out how to edit my post above. Would love to get a summer version of the pictures I have from the top of Heaven's Gate looking west over the valley. Same goes for the view at Mount Ellen from Panorama. Can you hike up that high? Does HG or the Summit lift run in the summer?

cdskier

I know this is probably a stupid question, I'm assuming that people hike to the top of Lincoln Peak in the Summer. What's the main route up? I've spent plenty of time at SB in the winter, but never in the summer and would like to get up to VT this summer for a change.

They sure do. I've been to the summit several times in the summer.

It depends where you're starting from. If you want to hike from the base, you can use the Racer's Edge->Snowball->Jester route shown on this map: http://www.sugarbush.com/uploaded/maps/SUG_MAP_SUM16_map_only-lores.jpg

You can also "cheat" a bit and take the Super Bravo lift up and then hike up Jester from there to the top of Lincoln Peak. Still a pretty good hike and workout. Jester itself is quite steep in the S-turns.

You can also park at the Lincoln Gap and hike the Long Trail from the Lincoln Gap to Mt Abraham to Lincoln Peak.

I second the Long Trail idea. For some reason I find hiking at ski areas to be not that fun or scenic (in the summer). There's also a great (if somewhat steep) trail from the western side, the Battell Trail, that leaves from Lincoln. The LT option probably has the least vertical climb.

mikec142

To be frank. I'm not much of a hiker. When ski season ends, my family and I are usually thinking about the beach. However, we do have family in Burlington and a close friend who works at the Hermitage. Additionally, I know that we need to be in upstate NY to visit our kids at summer camp and to pick them up so my wife and I were thinking about getting up to VT this summer. So maybe, I could become a hiker. :)

cdskier

I enjoy hiking the Long Trail and also find that more fun than hiking the ski trails themselves, although hiking the ski trails does give you a unique perspective on how much steeper they seem hiking vs skiing down them. Mt Abraham is cool because the summit is above the tree line and has that unique alpine vegetation. Hiking over to Castlerock along the LT from the top of Lincoln Peak is also fun. Great views along the way.

I wonder how much damage there is on the LT at the moment from the last snow storm that had some significant icing at the summits a couple weeks ago. I know at the top of Paradise at the entrance to the woods to the LT there was a broken tree across the trail as of a little over a week ago. No idea how the LT itself made out during that storm.

cdskier

I have done the Lincoln Gap hike several times. Great views from the top of Mt Abraham and it's a quick trip from there to Lincoln Peak.

http://4000footers.com/abraham.shtml

Another good hike is to go up Troll Road to Castlerock Run and take the LT from Castlerock Peak to Lincoln Peak.

I wanted to try to find that plane crash last year when I was up on Mt Abraham but didn't have any luck. I was by myself at the time though, so didn't really want to stray too far from the LT itself. It was also quite chilly at the summit that day (temp was 40 at the Battell Shelter and lower at the summit I'm sure). And this was in June! (day before Brew Fest).

One time I hiked down CR Run and Troll Road after hiking over to CR from LP. I never hiked up it though. One day I'd like to go from LP across to Mt Ellen. According to the hiking map I have, it is only 1.6 miles from CR to ME. I would have expected it to be longer since it is almost that far from LP to CR.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
It's a relatively easy hike from the top of Lincoln Peak to Mt Ellen. You're basically on the ridge the whole time and at most times, you can see both sides of the ridge from the trail. There are some ups-and-downs but nothing too strenuous. The most strenuous part is getting to the ridge, whether that be up Mt Abe from the south, up Jester, etc.

Jester is pretty steep when you're hiking up it and there's no snow. I've hiked down CR and Middle Earth a few times and its very steep. Middle Earth wasn't mowed at the time, and CR is a very steep gravely work road from the warming hut down to Hi-Lo Road.