• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

Heaven's Gate won't be in the mix for much longer, so head to the top for some of the final summit runs of the season.

They keep alluding to that on the snow report. Hopefully it can make it through the weekend.

cdskier

They keep alluding to that on the snow report. Hopefully it can make it through the weekend.

Hope so as well, but I'm not holding my breath with the weather forecast. If it doesn't make it, guess I'll be lapping Stein's and Spring Fling. I was debating whether to do the Stein's Challenge again but am leaning towards skipping it this year and just having the freedom to ski whatever (not that I'll have many choices). It was fun last year though just as a personal test to see how long I could last on nothing but Stein's.

phin

How many laps did you end up doing during last years steins challenge? How many people ended up entering?

I couldn't swing last years challenge, but I'm going to give it go this weekend.

cdskier

I did 16, which was well below the top finishers, but I was happy with it. I took a break in the middle for a slice of pizza at the base of Stein's too lol.

The top finisher had 25.

Last year we had maybe about 50 people enter. Some only did a few runs though.

cdskier

Yea, it has become their signature spring trail that they blow a ton of snow on. It is a fairly steep, wide, double-fall line trail. Last year they groomed it a couple days before the event so it wasn't terribly bumped up at the start, but as the day went on the bumps grew.

Jcb890

Yea, it has become their signature spring trail that they blow a ton of snow on. It is a fairly steep, wide, double-fall line trail. Last year they groomed it a couple days before the event so it wasn't terribly bumped up at the start, but as the day went on the bumps grew.
I'd be interested in lapping it if it starts off groomed. But, I don't have a 'Bush pass... bummer.

phin

Just noticed in todays snow report that Brooks Curran (IG legend) won last years event with 28 laps. That's 7 laps/hr --> ~8.5 minutes per lap, including the ride up the VH quad.

Is my math wrong here? How is that even possible?

jaytrem

If you start at the top that's only 27 lift rides needed. They have a loading carpet so figure absolute minimum of 7 minutes per ride. That leaves 51 minute of ski time and you probably just need to start your last run before the time runs out. So you get about 1.88 minutes per run. Seems reasonable, just need pretty much zero lift stops.

Smellytele

If you start at the top that's only 27 lift rides needed. They have a loading carpet so figure absolute minimum of 7 minutes per ride. That leaves 51 minute of ski time and you probably just need to start your last run before the time runs out. So you get about 1.88 minutes per run. Seems reasonable, just need pretty much zero lift stops.

And wear depends...

Hawk

Your math is correct Phin but something seems off. I don't think you can do an 8:30 minute lap on the VH quad. I think it is to slow. You also have to check into the table each lap and you have the slow coffee run traverse. you also have to do this non-stop with no slowing down for 4 hours. And the lift can not stop for very long. I don't know, interesting problem. We will see. I will time it this weekend.
Just noticed in todays snow report that Brooks Curran (IG legend) won last years event with 28 laps. That's 7 laps/hr

Hawk

FYI - They have it on liftblog at 7:50 for ride time on that lift so that would leave about 45 seconds for ski time with no delays every time. I don't know.

WWF-VT

My son is doing the Steins challenge this weekend and last week he timed himself at about 11 minutes per lap. The trail was pretty well bumped up when he skied it on Sunday and there was only about a ten foot wide exit at the bottom.

Last edited:

jaytrem

Was it a 4 hour race last year? If it was 5, 28 would seem more reasonable.

cdskier

Just noticed in todays snow report that Brooks Curran (IG legend) won last years event with 28 laps. That's 7 laps/hr --> ~8.5 minutes per lap, including the ride up the VH quad.

Is my math wrong here? How is that even possible?

28 is wrong. Not sure why they listed that. He had 25. I checked the photo on my iPhone of the results sheet from last year.

cdskier

And yes, it was 4 hours last year. I believe Brooks (and some others) were using the Bravo chair and flying down the VH Traverse to save a minute or two off of the VH chair ride. I guess if you can get enough speed on the traverse it works out. Brooks and a few others were absolutely flying down Steins last year. It was quite impressive.

benski

And yes, it was 4 hours last year. I believe Brooks (and some others) were using the Bravo chair and flying down the VH Traverse to save a minute or two off of the VH chair ride. I guess if you can get enough speed on the traverse it works out. Brooks and a few others were absolutely flying down Steins last year. It was quite impressive.

I doubt that saves you time unless you have crazy stamina since you sit less, have no foot rests and longer runs. I times it last year and you probably have to skate the traverse to make to save more than a few seconds.

cdskier

I doubt that saves you time unless you have crazy stamina since you sit less, have no foot rests and longer runs. I times it last year and you probably have to skate the traverse to make to save more than a few seconds.

I have my doubts as well, but I know people were doing it and claiming it was saving them time. I stuck to the VH chair the whole time as I didn't want to add any additional skiing that I didn't have to.

teleo

Always wondered, but timing is very close. Last week a I saw a friend getting on Bravo as I was heading into VH. He was skiing into stiens as I was getting off VH. Didn't compare lift stops or how fast he skied, but it's that close. With soft snow, might have to expend energy on the traverse to gain time. Works for the young ones. I'd need an old farts Tele class to compete.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk