• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WinS

It all depends on how it tracks. Our forecaster this morning is estimating 9-13" but he is often conservative. We already have had some snow coming in and there is around 2" up top at 11:30am. I was skiing at ME early today and it was coming down reasonably hard for a while but it is off and on now as the storm downs South forms. That is what will be coming up here later today, so we are already ahead of the forecasters. Given the temps, the snow is likely to be in between Sierra cement and Utah powder so it should bond well and that is good for trail openings. The real call will come Thursday morning as Patrol does there assessment, but I would expect that trails like Twist, Moonshine, The Mall, Black Diamond, Domino, Tumbler and Hammerhead would be ready to go. I also think there is a good chance for Castlerock but we will have to see how the storm shapes up later today and tonight. It does look like light snow and flurries will continue over the mountain through the weekend with some more accumulation possible.

BenedictGomez

It all depends on how it tracks.

That's the problem. The storm has kicked east like the Euro said it would. So it looks like your forecaster is going to be correct, I hope. Might be a bit dicey now.

When BTV released their package yesterday, they specifically said they were tossing the Euro. Oops. Now just hoping for the best. If Sugarbush to Smuggs could get 10" to 8" respectively, I'd be happy with that at this point for ski country. Hoping for elevation to save the day or outperform.

tumbler

That's the problem. The storm has kicked east like the Euro said it would. So it looks like your forecaster is going to be correct, I hope. Might be a bit dicey now.

When BTV released their package yesterday, they specifically said they were tossing the Euro. Oops. Now just hoping for the best. If Sugarbush to Smuggs could get 10" to 8" respectively, I'd be happy with that at this point for ski country. Hoping for elevation to save the day or outperform.

I think elevation will be a big factor and the upslope for the days after. Hard to forecast the upslope amount but have had some pretty deep days there just on upslope alone.

cdskier

Exactly. Mountain snow forecasting cant be fun

Depends on your perspective. The upside potential to localized terrain enhanced snow can be very fun to attempt to forecast as long as you aren't held accountable for the accuracy. Nailing down an accurate forecast is sure difficult though.

Hawk

This sounds like you follow American Weather forums. This is exactly like what one of the posters said earlier. Unless you are that person.

BenedictGomez

This sounds like you follow American Weather forums. This is exactly like what one of the posters said earlier. Unless you are that person.

Not me. It's public information, BTV released a short write-up yesterday of how/why they're coming to their conclusion for the storm, but sadly it looks like they're most likely going to bust high unless something changes.

GregoryIsaacs

Of course this is the weekend I choose to go to the bush over So. VT... kinda crazy that mount snow has a higher season total to date than the bush.... guess its just their year

28700921_1890270051044887_6691500167974488645_o.jpg

Last edited:

nhskier1969

Depends on your perspective. The upside potential to localized terrain enhanced snow can be very fun to attempt to forecast as long as you aren't held accountable for the accuracy. Nailing down an accurate forecast is sure difficult though.
Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 8.13.45 PM.jpg

ducky

Rumble pretty good, rocks of course, but lots of snow. Quick vid of my kid picking his way down...

[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/BgEhh7xB8T2/[/video]

Last edited:

Hawk

Rumble pretty good, rocks of course, but lots of snow. Quick vid of my kid picking his way down...

Ducky your kid looks to be learning from the school of Egan with those turns. ;-) Also if you are who I think you are, I met you at the Bundy when we bought a Marilyn Ruseckas at one of the art shows. That is a cool place up there.

WinS

It was really good. Did early turns at ME. Like the forecast for the next ten days.

WinS

The top portions of CR are really nice this morning but sketchier lower down. The first out there this morning are going to find some really nice powder like I did on CR Run and Lower Lift Line. :spread: We are going to keep is for hiking only until we get a bit more snow after it gets skied in.

smac75

The top portions of CR are really nice this morning but sketchier lower down. The first out there this morning are going to find some really nice powder like I did on CR Run and Lower Lift Line. :spread: We are going to keep is for hiking only until we get a bit more snow after it gets skied in.

Will lift be running tomorrow for CR Extreme?

WinS

Will lift be running tomorrow for CR Extreme?

No. Unfortunately the course won't hold up with the cover there. We are moving the Extreme to start at lower half of Murphy's and into Lower Birdland. It will still be hiking only tomorrow over to CR. It is really nice for a limited number and would be really lousy for a lot on CR until it gets skied in and we get some more snow.

We did assess Slidebrook, however, today and there is enough snow pack for both our lift mechanics to get in safely and quickly so it will be scheduled to run tomorrow at 10am.

WinS

I hope all who came this weekend a great time. I certainly did. We received more snow last night than the forecast so the snowpack is now good enough to allow more volume on Castlerock so we are scheduling the lift to run tomorrow and through the week as well as Slidebrook. The reports I heard were that SB was skiing as well as any day this winter even with some sketchy areas still, but I did not get in myself. Let's hope the forecast holds. March is looking really nice.