• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SHAWNEE PEAK (Maine): The 2005 AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge Rolls On!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Melissa Rock, the Director of Marketing and Communications at Shawnee Peak, Mainehas agreed to take the AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge! This is your chance to get official answers to your ski-related questions direct from a Northeast ski resort representative! Please post some suggested questions in this thread and we'll select ten to present for official responses.

Also please don't be offended if we edit/change your question for grammar, tone, or some other minor thing. In order to get in all of the questions we MAY merge some questions but we'll do our best to keep the substance of your question. If we don't get your question in, feel free to post a follow up after we get the results...we are encouraging the representatives follow the threads. :wink:

As always, please be respectful of Melissa and keep it civil. Also, please refrain from asking specifics about skier visit numbers, financials, demographic information, etc. Shawnee Peak needs to be discrete about certain information.

Ask away!

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, this is a NEW mountain to the AZ Ski Area Challenge, so be sure to welcome them!!! :)

HERE are some articles and topics about Shawnee Peak and HERE is their website.

Ask away!!

thaller1

I love night skiing especially at Shawnee Peak..any chance of nighttime expansion..the skier's right side is absolutely beautiful and I would love the chance to experience it more fully. I don't get up there during the day much. Also, and new lift upgrades planned?? It's awfully chilly on that slow double..brrrrrrrrrr

thetrailboss

Staff member
It seems that Shawnee is similar to Black Mountain (NH), Burke, and MRG in that it is an independent resort that is trying to survive. How do you meet rising costs (fuel, insurance, labor) while still offering reasonable ticket rates?

Vortex

I believe you have a nightly race series, ie a beer league. How does it work and how could one join or get a team going? I thought I had heard you had a successful gang involved.

Talisman

Has Shawnee Peak given any thought to changing the name of the mountain back to Pleasant Mountain now that there is no longer an affiliation to the PA ski area with the same name? As an Native American, I am not offended by the use of a tribe's name for a ski area, but do find a certain irony in the use of Shawnee, a tribe from outside New England, is used for the name when there are many Native American tribes from ME.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
thetrailboss said:
It seems that Shawnee is similar to Black Mountain (NH), Burke, and MRG in that it is an independent resort that is trying to survive. How do you meet rising costs (fuel, insurance, labor) while still offering reasonable ticket rates?

During the week the place is packed from 4-9 and I mean packed. Just try to find a spot in the lodge. The racing team I coached raced and sometime trained there or Lost Valley every week, you have adult racing programs, HS/JH racing teams up there during the week, so on and so on. I think they are doing better than just surviving.

thetrailboss

Staff member
One of the things that I have heard about Shawnee is that the lifts are slow. Do you have any plans in the long term to add any faster lifts? Can you do it without altering/changing the character of the mountain?

Any plans for new glades or terrain?

Terry

Last winter there were rumors of expansion to the skiers left of upper Haggets, and the knoll off to that side. Are there any plans in the works? Also, what about a seperate lift for the terrain park area? That would cut down on the lines for the triple.

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, great questions. Let's try and wrap this one up by the end of the week so that I can pull out some NEW mountains.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Now this was interesting...just got an e-mail from them saying this:

Dear [my real name omitted],

If you've ever dreamed of job in the ski industry, here's your chance! The best part? There's no need to relocate! We are looking for part-time Shawnee Peak Promoters in several markets in Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts!

More Information:

You and Your Family Ski FREE!
Promote Your Passion! Shawnee Peak Skiing and Riding!
Focus: Your Local Corporations and Organizations
Other Position Requirements

Promote Your Passion! Shawnee Peak Skiing and Riding!

If you love the feel of fresh powder on Upper Appalachian, smooth corduroy on Pine Slope or big bumps on The Vain, we're looking for YOU! Your passion is imperative to your success in this position. When you have stories and first-hand testimonials to share, your credibility skyrockets. If you love talking to people in decision-making positions and have contacts in your local area, we would LOVE to talk to YOU!

Apply today!

Focus: Your Local Corporations and Organizations

Groups LOVE Shawnee Peak! Your charge is to cultivate more such trips from your local area - from church groups to YMCA Outings to Employee Appreciation Days! The Best Part? We provide EVERYTHING you need to promote - sales materials, pricing and, most importantly, superior service and fulfillment when your group arrives!

More info on Corporate Programs

Other Position Requirements

You must have your own reliable transportation. Monthly expense stipends will be paid. Positions are fully commission-based.

Sales background preferred, but not required.

Outgoing personality. Cold calls will be required

Position will start sometime in late September or early October.

Must make at least ten new contacts per week.

Must be Passionate Shawnee Peak Skier or Snowboarder!

Sound good

Good idea! :idea: Maybe some AZer's will apply.

This will be something to ask about...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Again, great answers and a great, constructive dialogue. Like many of the resorts that we've had, I feel as if they take our input seriously. I've never skied at Shawnee, always wanted to, but after this challenge, I am even more interested to give it a shot! :D Hey Bob R, get on it and plan a Shawnee Peak day!

Just wish that you offered the Pats Peak reciprocal pass LAST season when we were passholders :wink:

Good show!

Terry

Bob lets get e'r done. It would be a great time. Early Jan to mid march is the best conditions. Let me know. Terry

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hey Bob--

I bet we could get Pats and Shawnee to give us a good deal (heck, Jay and Burke would probably as well) if we told them that our members would give them some promo in here (trip reports, pics, advice, etc). That might help us to get a better deal than say the "group rate." I mention these mtns 'cause they are really interested in AZ.

2,500th post!!! :D :eek:

Vortex

Terry I already had you with a role. I knew you would help. :D Taken for granted you bet. TB I am a on both issues. I want to talk to Dave a bit.