• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crocker story

una_dogger

Oh have I got a Crocker Story. I started on Rt 4 as well and went over the Saddleback Range and then the tough 32 in the cold rain and snow. The sun finally came out on the way up the Crockers. Shortly after the Slide there was an awful smell. The higher we climbed the stronger it got. The trail became narrow and steeply pitched. There in the trail, taking up the entire trail, was a badly decomposed bull moose! It was pretty skanky, to say the least. The trail was so narrow and the fir so thick that we basically had to take REALLY BIG steps to get over the carcass.

That night we slept on the north side of Crocker in a grey birch stand. It was a beautiful, clear, cold night. Sometime near dawn the winds picked up and began to really howl. I kept hearing the trees creaking. In the early morning I emerged from the tent to see that the trees were rocking in the wind to such an extent that thier roots were rocking! Kinda scary! Looking forward to your Crocker's story.

Glad you are enjoying Maine. The Bigelow Range is gorgeous. The trail out of Stratton (I believe its called the Cranberry Peak Trail) that joins up with the AT is an absolutely drop dead gorgeous trail! Take it sometime if you can.

Sabrina

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Excellent story! That north side of Crocker was a *long* trail. One of the side-effects of peakbagging with friends who are AT section-hiking is a number of routes that after being "done" per se, there's a 3-5 mile slog back to the car. D'oh!

It's going to be a week before I can fully write up the Crockers, though you are welcome to check out the pictures here anytime.