• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Question about backcountry camping & Mammoth Cave

Caranya

Hi - I'm relatively new to the idea of camping much less hiking as well. I am in good physical condition and do not doubt for one minute that I could hike with the best of them and wind up at the camp site safely :) But! I have never been camping before. I am going camping with my boyfriend who is an experienced camper/hiker and we will be going to Mammoth Cave this coming week to camp in the back country there.

Does anyone know if when you pick up your permit if you tell them which campsite you are interested in camping at? It could be rather sad to hike 7 miles or so and then wind up at the same site as someone else then have to go somewhere else to find a campsite alone. I'm sure I can call them tomorrow and they can tell me at the information center but I was hoping someone here would know.

Also - does anyone have any preference as to which campsite is the best?

What i'm looking for in a camp site is as follows:

I really want somewhere with water, prefer lots of water but i can live with a little bit, I want a place that is beautiful and preferably relatively close to the parking area (I know that's such a cop out - but it's my first time after all!!)

I just don't want to hike 35 miles in to find my campsite - make sense? :)

If anyone has any information or suggestions i'm completely open to them :)

Thank you!

Caranya