• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Hancock & South Hancock - July 2

ga2ski

Mt. Hancock & South Hancock
Date Hiked- July 2
Trails Used- Hancock Notch Tr., Cedar Brook Tr., Hancock Loop Tr.
Distance- 9.8 miles

Conditions- Trail relatively dry, with a few muddy spots on the lower half. Several stream crossings, but they were easy with rocks and logs to walk on.

Report- We started at 11:00 from the Hancock Overlook parking lot (we got the last official parking spot). The overlook has a great view of the Tripyramids. The Hancock Notch and Cedar Brook trails are relatively flat with some nice stream crossing that Powdah, our dog, loved to drink from and lay in. Once reaching the Hancock Loop trail, the trail started to climb a little. Upon reaching the trail split of the loop, we chose to go clockwise and hit Hancock first. The climb up was very steep with some washouts and scree. Looked like they were doing some trail work as there were a bunch of washouts had survey tape with some unknown codes written on them. Also there was one section where a winch was strung between trees and a bunch rocks had been stacked. It looked like the rocks may have been lowered there by a helicopter as a few trees had been cut and the rocks didn't look other rocks in the area. Anyone know if using a heli is a normal practice or even better who is doing the trail work and what the plan is? My guess is the make a bunch of steps.
Anyway we got to the top of Hancock around 2:00. Great views of Tripyramids, South Hancock, Osceolas, Passthetimeaway, Whiteface and Chocorua. (I'll post pix when I get them developed. . . the digital camera is broken). Then we cruised along the ridge to South Hancock and arrived around 3:30 (Had to stop halfway for some minor surgery to remove a splinter in my wife's foot). Not much of a view, but did look over at Carrigan and the North Conway area. The decent is very steep but shorter than the climb up to Hancock. Then we went back the way we came. Made it back to the car around 5:00. ^ hours just as the book said. Hmmm we usually beat the book.

One note about choosing which way to go at the split of the Hancock Loop Trail. Both ways are steep, the climb up Hancock is longer and less steep but looser footing. We were glad we went the way we did as both my wife and I prefer teh harder ascent and easier descent. The only downfall about going clockwise is the views get worse as you hike instead of better.