• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Google Earth

Greg

Staff member
Be sure to take a flight through the Himalayas: :eek:

K2: 35°53'N, 76°30'E
Everest: 27°58'N, 86°55'E

bvibert

Staff member
I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but if you use the directions feature you can then get it to fly through the route that it picked out, following all the curves in the road.

Paul

There's a MB associated withit as well. I'll try to find the link, some people have found some interesting things, and they do some cool scavenger hunts ala Geocaching.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Greg said:
riverc0il said:
interesting how it can't show depth well on buildings which makes sense because the photo was shot from essentially straight down. so the lower you put the angle in boston, the flatter the buildings become whereas lowering the camera position in the mountains shows depth. whew, one hour of my evening has been totally lost!
For Boston and other major cities you can toggle on a 3D model of the buildings. Click the "Buildings" checkbox. I'm really digging this!
Clear img of ground 0.

Greg

Staff member

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
Clicking those KMZ files is pretty cool. Thanks. It's neat to jump between those three ski areas.

Glad it worked for ya, I wasn't sure if I did them right. When you open them does it place extra Placemarks in your Temporary Places folder? I couldn't figure out how to stop it from doing that.

Paul

One thing thats interesting as well, some of the "newer" images on GE are older than the ones that were on Keyhole 2.0. for example, when I initially d-loaded Keyhole back in Jan, the image for South Philly showed a completed Lincoln Financial Field and Citizens Bank Park, and a rubble field where Veterans Stadium was. The Eagles logo was visible in the endzone, so I'd guess the date sometime in the fall of '04. (Fall of '03 CB Park wasn't done) Now, LFF is under construction, CB Park is barely started, and there's a diamond visible in a still-standing Vet. that would put it at about Spring / Summer '03.

Why an older image?

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
Greg said:
Clicking those KMZ files is pretty cool. Thanks. It's neat to jump between those three ski areas.

Glad it worked for ya, I wasn't sure if I did them right. When you open them does it place extra Placemarks in your Temporary Places folder? I couldn't figure out how to stop it from doing that.
Nope. Doesn't add them for me. Speaking of the "Temporary Places" folder, check out the "Sightseeing" entries. The Grand Canyon and Mount St. Helens are particularly cool. You can also fly over the Mount Hood which is SSE of Mount St. Helens.

ctenidae

My 5 year old Toshiba laptop doesn't even get close to meeting the requirements.
Not
Even
Close.

And I doubt work would appreciate my efforts.
:(

awf170

fly over would look awsome on a really good computer... cause my computer cant load the images totally into perfect resolution before i get to them

TramperKen

:lol: It works, it works. I still don't understand why I had to wait to download but I did and it works.

ctenidae

I'd liek to upgrade, but other things have priority- younger brother getting married in Montana (it's expensive to get to MT!), I want new skis...I'll stick with the clunker computer I have for now. I'll just have to miss out on the cool stuff...:(

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
bvibert said:
Cool, if you look at the ski areas in MA they still had some snow on the trails when the photos were taken! 8)

I meant to mention this is becuase the clearest sattelite photos are taken in the early or late winter, when there is the least amount of haze in the atmosphere.

-Stephen