• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Google Earth

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
I saw this on the SR Message Board. Someone put together a layer of ski areas for Google Earth. You can now quickly visit different ski areas to do fly-overs:

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=201557

WOW, a lot of work there. I gave up on mine after loosing a bunch when Google Earth crashed. It wasn't anywhere near as involved as the one you posted either. The thing I like more about the one that I was doing is that is is easily sorted by State. Here's the link if anyone is interested:
http://www.bvibert.com/skiing/misc/ski.kmz

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
Greg said:
I saw this on the SR Message Board. Someone put together a layer of ski areas for Google Earth. You can now quickly visit different ski areas to do fly-overs:

WOW, a lot of work there. I gave up on mine after loosing a bunch when Google Earth crashed. It wasn't anywhere near as involved as the one you posted either. The thing I like more about the one that I was doing is that is is easily sorted by State. Here's the link if anyone is interested:
Oh - yours is cool, B. You should finish that up!

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
bvibert said:
Greg said:

Oh - yours is cool, B. You should finish that up!

Eh, maybe I will if I get any time. I just got discouraged when I lost about 10 areas after Google Earth crashed. It took me a long time too because I'm not very scientific about it. I just go to the general area of a ski mountain and then scroll around until I find what looks like ski trails. I'd been using the AZ list of resorts to make sure I got them all... ;)

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Checked them out today for the first time in awhile and they had some updates for the first time that I have seen. A few new areas look to be in a higher res. I wish they would update the year that they were taken.

BeanoNYC

Bump

fboweb.com now offers flight tracking on google earth with only 1 minute updates. Very cool. If you have trouble with the downloaded tracking file, just change the extension to .kml. Enjoy!!!!! I'm tracking my wife's family's progress back to Norway as we speak.

If you don't have a particular flight to track and want to check it out you can click on this link and pick an airport (They have Logan and JFK) to download the inbound traffic file.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
Bump

fboweb.com now offers flight tracking on google earth with only 1 minute updates. Very cool. If you have trouble with the downloaded tracking file, just change the extension to .kml. Enjoy!!!!! I'm tracking my wife's family's progress back to Norway as we speak.

If you don't have a particular flight to track and want to check it out you can click on this link and pick an airport (They have Logan and JFK) to download the inbound traffic file.
Sounds pretty cool, too bad they blocked Google Earth here at work so I can't check it out. :(

BeanoNYC

bvibert said:
Sounds pretty cool, too bad they blocked Google Earth here at work so I can't check it out. :(

Here are some snapshots of JFK's inbound flights around 8 last night:

47b6d909b3127cce98548ca7487e00000017108EZt2bFq5c6

47b6d909b3127cce98548ca4c94d00000017108EZt2bFq5c6

47b6d909b3127cce98548ca6c94f00000017108EZt2bFq5c6

Greg

Staff member
Imagery for New Hampshire has been updated. Flying around the White Mountains is way cooler now...

kbroderick

Parts of Chittenden County, Vermont were also included in the latest update...now I'm trying to figure out exactly when the picture was taken and whether or not my car is in the lot at work...

skibum9995

Parts of Chittenden County, Vermont were also included in the latest update...now I'm trying to figure out exactly when the picture was taken and whether or not my car is in the lot at work...
Me too. There is a car that is the right color in the spot where I normally park, but I'm not sure if it's mine because I only work a few months a year.

BeanoNYC

Wow! Those images are great! We should start placemarking some spots...Greg is there an easy way to integrate Bviberts and your ski info page to G.E.?

BeanoNYC

burke was included with the new hampshire upgrade, sweet. the upgrade cuts off wildcat but mount washington looks real nice.

I'm sitting here wondering why I'm having trouble finding Wildcat. Have you ever typed wildcat into the business area of G.E. while zoomed around the MWV? They got it all wrong....at least from what I can remember.