• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

North Pack Monadnock: July 2, 2005

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Hiked: July 2, 2005

Trails(s) Hiked: Wapack Trail South from northern terminus to summit of N. Pack Monadnock

Total Distance: 3.6 miles

Difficulty: Easy to moderate

Conditions: Dry, trail well maintained and well traveled. :D

Special Required Equipment: Good directions to find trailhead (Wapack site had an error...)

Trip Report: North Pack Monadnock is the northern terminus of the Wapack Trail, which runs 21 miles north from Mount Watatic in Massachusetts. The plan was to hike the 1.6 mile section from the East Mountain Road to the summit before driving south to complete the Kidder Mountain Section of trail just south of Temple Mountain.

After the drive, which included the scenic and narrow East Mountain Road from Route 101, we got booted up at the trailhead and headed south on the trail. This section of the Wapack rolled through mixed woods and even some nice laurel bushes before crossing a stream and angling up the mountain. The temps were cool and the ground still damp from the rains. Most of the folks we met within the first few minutes were heading back to their cars, but we did find a group from the Brentwood Camp, just a few hundred yards from the trailhead, that was lost. :blink: After steering them in the right direction and letting them pass, we began the climb up the short ledge section of the trail. As was typical of the rest of the Wapack that we had seen, the pitch and terrain was gentle and the climbing was short-lived. After the ledge section, we came to one of the many openings which afforded fine views of the northern vicinity including the backside of Crotched Mountain. These ledges were said to be old meadows which farmers would put their livestock into. In the 19th century, the Wapack Trail was used as a path for farmers to herd their animals north in the summer from neighboring Massachusetts. Farms still exist within sight of the trail but they are few and far between.

From these open ledges, the trail continued south on a gentle grade before coming to another ledge scramble which was only minutes from the summit area. On the top is a large cairn which was surrounded by the 35-40 boys from Brentwood when we arrived. We opted to lounge on the northern end of the summit, taking in the many great views of Grand Monadnock. :spin:

I talked with one of the counselors of the camp, who was from Yorkshire, and we discussed climbing the Munroes in Scotland and the many fine peaks in the Lakes District. I encouraged him to head north when he could into Scotland and recalled my experiences in Torridon and on Ben Nevis in 2001-2002. I also told him to head to the Whites before he left. After a few minutes, the boys left and we had the summit to ourselves. Though there had been a crowd for part of our time at the top, North Pack Monadnock is silent and isolated in comparison to her sister, South Pack Monadnock, about 2 miles down the Wapack Trail. On that peak is Miller State Park, New Hampshire’s oldest State Park complete with fire tower, auto road, picnic tables, and the infamous care taker whom locals had told us was known for chasing hikers to make them pay the day use fare! :eek:

After sitting for a while and enjoying a snack, Ms. Trailboss and I headed about 15 mins down the Cliff Trail to get some views southward toward Watatic and Wachusett as well as to the east. I suggest that anyone visiting the mountain do the Cliff Trail which has some incredible views and some nice rock scambling—we headed down this trail in April 2004 when we did a combo of both North and South Pack Monadnocks from Route 101 (about an 8-mile day). After seeing the familiar sights, we descended the trail back to East Mountain Road and headed for the next section of the Wapack.

The temps were cool thanks to a nice North wind and the trail was in great shape. :wink:

Here are the rest of my pics.

Angus

This is a great hike. It is a personal tradition to hike this the day after Thanksgiving every year. I sometimes hike over to Pack Monadnock and then back again. Highly recommended for young families, I use to run my son up in the backpack and as he got older, alternate between him walking and being carried. In past trips we've seen signs of just departed bears and plenty of deer. The summit is a nice place to relax with nice vistas.

I've always wanted to hike the wapack end-to-end on a weekend.