• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your feet are worth a visit to a boot fitter

Trekchick

I skied in both boots last Saturday on some Green and blue runs(that was all that was open at Crystal)
After about 5 runs I went in to see Jim, because I was having an issue with inside ankle rub on my right ankle while skiing in the Kryzma.
The Kryzma is the boot that we did the significant hinge bushing change.
He suggested that we spot heat the ankle area(not the whole liner) and put some padding on that spot to give me a teeny bit more ankle pocket.
That did the trick!!!!

Review 09 Krypton Kryzma:
I skied in the Kryzma for the first half of the day on Saturday on Blues and Greens, as well as all day Sunday on a hard pack Black run at Caberfae.
The Kryzma is definitely a stiffer, boot with a feel that is slightly more like a race boot. The first run I took in them I was a bit tentative, to get a feel of them. The second run, I took a bit more aggressively.

The first thing I noticed was the amazing responsiveness of this boot.
It was as if my leg, ankle, foot, boot, and ski made the edge to edge transitions as one, without any hesitation. As the day wore on, I could see how a ski boot like this could enhance the experience of someone who wants to do some serious high speed arc to arc skiing on a daily basis.
The feeling/noise the Kryzma inspires - Grrrrrr!

The 09 Krypton Storm:
I decided to take the new Storm out for a few runs in the afternoon while giving my ankle a rest from the above described issue.
The minute I clicked into my bindings with the Storms on my feet, I felt like Ahhhhhhhh, Home!
Like going from a hiking boot to a high top tennis shoe, the Storm is a bunch easier to flex. I found myself heading for little poppers and rollers with a tad more excitement, than when I was skiing in the Kryzma. I can definitely see myself preferring the Storms when I go to bump camp. :)

Dalbello has most definitely done a good job creating two boots in the same line with different properties and filling different niches.

Two thumbs up for the Kryzma and the Storm!

*Flex index for the boots:
Kryzma 80-120
Storm 70-100

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Just a question . . . How much does all of this cost? Like the guy who goes to his bootfitter every year, how much does that appointment usually run? And how much did the whole stance alignment run? And how much were the boots? I'm talking dollars and cents, not the "Whatever I spent was worth every penny" answer . . .

I'm not trying to be a dick, but a lot of people don't have a lot of money to throw at a bootfitter. For me, I decided that $300 boots off of Tramdock, a hot form, and a Dremel were enough for me. I just don't have the $1200 that some people spend on boots . . . I mean, someone could start the thread "Your life is worth a visit on a Heliskiing Adventure", but that doesn't mean that I'll be going on one tomorrow . . . .

snowmonster

I hear you. In my case, I spent about $130 on footbeds and shims on my old boot (it was too big). He also did all the work that Trekchick described (canting, balancing, upper cuff adjustment). I then bought a new boot online (race boots on Steep and Cheap for about $200) which I talked to the bootfitter about. I transferred the footbeds and, after a season on the new boots, took them to the bootfitter for some adjustments to the upper cuff and grinding ($30). I don't have a lot of money to throw around and enjoy my sport as much as the next AZer so I try to get the best gear for the least cost.

Trekchick

The boots cost somewhere around +400 ish(I got them during the summer and have to look up the reciept). I got a deal on the boots because the guy special ordered them and then the customer didn't like the colour. The fitting, alignment, and canting, with tweeking adjustments included was 150.00.

This particular bootfitter gives a three visit promise. He will do any necessary adjustments for three follow up visits at no extra charge.

Trekchick

The intent of this thread was to show the process of boot fitting and the benefits of it. It was not my intent to make anyone feel as though you need to spend 1000's of dollars on boots/fitting.

Unlike most of my female friends, I can't stand shopping at the mall, and I don't wear jewelry. I put my budget/efforts into my ski gear.
:)

snowmonster

Unlike most of my female friends, I can't stand shopping at the mall, and I don't wear jewelry. I put my budget/efforts into my ski gear.
:)

Ah, the woman of my dreams...

Actually, thanks for putting this thread up. I learned a lot of new tricks. I'm a gear head myself so I soak up information such as this like a sponge.

automagp68

Ah, the woman of my dreams...

Actually, thanks for putting this thread up. I learned a lot of new tricks. I'm a gear head myself so I soak up information such as this like a sponge.

Hey since me and you are in the same area, who is your bootfitter? I may be in need!

hrstrat57

Great thread TC....unlike the train wreck on the "other" side.....:argue:

Sweet lookin' boots too! Hope they rock your winter!

Trekchick

Great thread TC....unlike the train wreck on the "other" side.....:argue:

Sweet lookin' boots too! Hope they rock your winter!
I posted the same review over there, and it got some good interaction, but there is also a lot of noise to sort through with the recent trolls, eh?
But, you know me well enough to know that trolls don't phaze me.........:)

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=75821

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I want to add to TC's advice in the subject that not only are your feet worth a visit to a boot fitter, they're worth a visit to a boot fitter who knows what s/he is doing. I thought I was doing the right thing earlier this year when I bought new boots and had custom footbeds made at a shop that was highly recommended. There may be great people in that shop, but the person I had did not know what he was doing and his mess up was the cause of much pain. When I saw Dave Newman, he saw right away what the problem was and made proper custom footbeds that were set up the right way for my boots. What a difference!!!!!! While they're uncomfortable to stand around or sit in (which what difference does that make), these boots have been awesome to ski in! I have had NO FOOT CRAMPS AT ALL. Do you know how significant that is for me? It's HUGE. And I think that these properly set up boots are helping me earn the skills and have the stamina to move forward.

So not only should you see a boot fitter, make sure it's someone who's good at what he does. It makes a difference!

hrstrat57

I posted the same review over there, and it got some good interaction, but there is also a lot of noise to sort through with the recent trolls, eh?
But, you know me well enough to know that trolls don't phaze me.........:)

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=75821

Cool, I missed that one, told you I stayed out of the boot forum......don't need it.
My Tecnica Explosion 8's are perfection, lucky guy I am. I keep "em right next to the bed......
- - -
Re the trolls ova dere well sure has been entertaining....LOL at times.

Have a great time in VT this w/e! Tell Martin and Marcus I said hi.

I'm off to Phoenix for christmas.....and I just got a new driver so you know which sport I'm focused on at the moment.

Trekchick

I want to add to TC's advice in the subject that not only are your feet worth a visit to a boot fitter, they're worth a visit to a boot fitter who knows what s/he is doing. I thought I was doing the right thing earlier this year when I bought new boots and had custom footbeds made at a shop that was highly recommended. There may be great people in that shop, but the person I had did not know what he was doing and his mess up was the cause of much pain. When I saw Dave Newman, he saw right away what the problem was and made proper custom footbeds that were set up the right way for my boots. What a difference!!!!!! While they're uncomfortable to stand around or sit in (which what difference does that make), these boots have been awesome to ski in! I have had NO FOOT CRAMPS AT ALL. Do you know how significant that is for me? It's HUGE. And I think that these properly set up boots are helping me earn the skills and have the stamina to move forward.

So not only should you see a boot fitter, make sure it's someone who's good at what he does. It makes a difference!
I'm sooooooo excited for you Carrie! Grrrrrrrrrrr, go get 'em!!!

Cool, I missed that one, told you I stayed out of the boot forum......don't need it.
My Tecnica Explosion 8's are perfection, lucky guy I am. I keep "em right next to the bed......
- - -
Re the trolls ova dere well sure has been entertaining....LOL at times.

Have a great time in VT this w/e! Tell Martin and Marcus I said hi.

I'm off to Phoenix for christmas.....and I just got a new driver so you know which sport I'm focused on at the moment.

I posted that one in the General Ski Gear Discussion. I have a full review for the two pair of boots I got which will be in Reviews when I get a chance.

I will most definitley tell Martin and Marcus you said Hi. Sure wish you were coming to play with us on Friday.
Shoot me a pm if you think you can swing it.

newskier

Automagp68: like snowmonster I've worked with Jeff Bokum. I haven't skiied in my boots yet, but he was easy to work with and answered all my questions throughly.

Bumpsis

All this rhapsodizing about getting your boots professionaly fitted by a bootfitter has me scratching my head a bit.
Sure, I recognize that people have fitting issues, since feet are are just so important, but would't picking the boots that feel right solve majority of the possible problems?
When it comes to buying new boots, I much rather spend my time picking the right boot that spend extra time and money having the boot adjusted aftrewards because it did not fit the right way from the beginning.
I've gone through a few pairs so far and never had to have them fitted beyond what the shop orinally would do.
My most favorite pair of boots were the Hanson Alto. I still have them and don't have the heart to get rid of them. They are a piece of industrial art. I understand that this model was actually a part of an exhibition of modern design at MOMA sometime in the 80's. The wax bladders would conform to the contours of your feet and they were just absolutley perfect.
Here they are:
Hanson_Alto.JPG