• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Tom, Mt, Field and Mt. Willey - July 3

ga2ski

Mt. Tom, Mt, Field and Mt. Willey
Date Hiked- July 3
Trails Used- Avalon Tr, A-Z Tr. Mt. Tom Spur, Willey Range Tr., and Avalon Tr.

Distance- 10 miles

Difficulty - Moderate to strenuous

Conditions- Trail relatively dry, with a few muddy spots on the lower half. A few stream crossings along Avalon and lower A-Z trail, but they were easy with rocks and logs to walk on. Two great cascades only 0.5 mile from p-lot. Great for kids and dogs.

Report- We started at 10:00 from the Crawford Depot. (Nice to have flushable toilets at the start and end of the hike.) Lots of cars in the p-lot, but most of the people were hiking Mt. Willard (1.6 mile hike to a nice 2865 high peak, that looked to have a great view). Started up the Avalon trail which was mellow for the first 0.5 mile before it started to get moderately steep. At the intersection of Avalon and A-Z trail (1.3 miles in) the hike became more strenuous and steeper. After a break on some nice rocks at the intersection, we continued up the A-Z trail to the Mt. Tom Spur Trail. Took a right and headed up Mt. Tom. Arrived at the Top of Tom at 12:00. There were some nice views of the western presidentials and we had lunch on a well built log bench at the overlook. There were a lot of black flies that were taking chucks of the ankles. The bites are still itching me. To the south, were decent views of Mt. Webster, Mt. Field, and Mt. Willey.

After a quick lunch (due to the flies) we cruised down the Mt. Tom Spur Trail (0.6 miles)and back on the A-Z Trail for 100 yds. Took a left and up the easy grade to the top of Mt. Field on the Willey Range Trail (0.9 miles from A-Z). Arrived at the summit of Mt. Field around 1:00. The views are limited, mainly overlooking the Mount Washington Hotel.

We then hiked across the moderate to easy grade of Willey Range Trail to the top of Mt. Willey. Took about 45 minutes. The views from the summit of Willey were fantastic. We sat and just admired the cliffs of Mt. Webster for a while at the easterly overlook. The view looking northwest was not quite as impressive as easterly view, but views of Tom, Hale, and the Twins.

We backtracked along Willey Range Trail back to Mt. Field and down the very steep Avalon trail. We stopped to take pictures of the two cascades just off the lower portion of the Avalon trail. We arrived back at the car at 5:00.

Sorry no pictures yet as the digital camera is broken and we havent developed the 35mm pictures yet.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
nice report, thanks! i've been planning doing tom/field/willey via a loop for two years now via a bike spot at the depot and starting at willey. i did this style loop accross the notch two years ago to hike webster cliffs trail to webster, jackson, and pierce. crawford notch is a wonderful area to hike in!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah...did this exact hike in 2001. Tom was unimpressive, but Willey was just knee-wobbling on at the cliffs there. Nice climb and nice trip 'cause you can knock three 4000 footers in one day. How is that new 'hostel-hotel' thing that the AMC built?

ga2ski

thetrailboss said:
Yeah...did this exact hike in 2001. Tom was unimpressive, but Willey was just knee-wobbling on at the cliffs there. Nice climb and nice trip 'cause you can knock three 4000 footers in one day. How is that new 'hostel-hotel' thing that the AMC built?

i didn't go.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
How is that new 'hostel-hotel' thing that the AMC built?
i saw it last time i was in the notch. more hotel and not so much hostel :roll: i really dislike AMC's approach to membership building and services though their environmental protection and guide book services are appreciated.