• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your advice for buying hiking boots

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, things have been slow in here, but I thought we could start a new thread to offer your advice/knowledge when buying certain products, so the first being hiking boots.

Obviously, go to a shop that can properly fit you. I mean, they have people who are trained to do so and have a lot of experience with boots. You want a shop with a lot variety both in style and price.

Know what you want to use the boots for before you go. Hiking? Backpacking? Technical? Approach shoes? Rock climbing? Also, are you going to use them year round? This will help you and the salesperson narrow down the selections.

Have an idea about the materials that you are dealing with. Full grain leather is most expensive and requires much maintenance, but it is usually very sturdy, reliable, and will last if you care for them. My Asolo 520's are approaching 5 years old and the leather is in great shape. I always clean them after treks and regularly mosturize and wash them. To put it this way, leather is like skin...if dry, it will crack and that's not good. Keep them cool, moisturized, and clean :wink: Leather also takes the most time to break in, so do account for that :wink: especially if you are going on a hike very shortly after your purchase (not recommended).

Other materials, which are cheaper and less durable, include Nubuck, split grain leather, and synthetic materials. They need less maintanance but may not hold up as long. These are economic choices and certainly require less break-in time.

Many serious backpackers will want waterproofing, which now includes Gore Tex or other fabrics incorporated in the boot. Again, my experience has been very good, but regular maintenance is needed.

Vibram offers excellent soles and treads which are very durable. Often they will outlast the other components of the boot. Regardless of the brand, you want to have solid traction and support for your feet.

OK, enough with materials...so be sure to allow enough time to properly try on the boots. Go in the afternoon when your feet are most swollen and try on as many boots as you can. Let your FEET decide which fit best and don't be persuaded by your eyes or heart(for colors, brands, etc) or maybe a salesperson who wants to give you either too much or too little of a boot. The better the boot fits, the happier you will be...remember, the boots are the most important part of your hiking and outdoor experience. If your feet are in pain, you WON'T have fun. Trust your feet on this one! :beer: Boots may feel stiff at first, but they should not be TOO TIGHT or TOO PAINFUL. Some things may adjust with break-in, but don't expect too much. Be sure to keep them on your feet for several minutes and carry some heavy items to see how they support you and do some climbing on store ramps (which many places have) to try the traction.

There are now many options for insoles, orthotics, special footbeds, etc for those with tough-to-fit feet, but this ends up being a very expensive venture that should be saved for those who really need this technology. Many boots are designed to be supportive and they should be.

As for price, once you have a model selected, you can purchase then or wait for routine sales/promotions. Be wary of "steals" or other "deals." Be sure that the brand is reputable and that the store and manufacturer will back you up. As for internet sales, I did buy one pair online and when things went south on the model, it was a pain to deal with the company and shipping for repair/warranty work :x So, local shops may be better.

In general, the more you invest in time and research, the better you will be and the more fun you will have in the outdoors! :beer:

Good resources include Backpacker Magazine and other hikers and skiers (us) in here, so feel free to ask us about boots!

Your advice folks? :wink: :p

ctenidae

I think you pretty much coveered it there, TB.
My only addendum is to not buy more boot than you need. Be serious and practical when considering what you need the boots for. We'd all like to believe we're out climbing the Matterhorn, but we're not. I've found that a boot that is maybe a little too light is less uncomfortable and combersome than a boot that is a little too heavy. Of course, I ahve pretty big feet, so an incremental increase in the boot means a pretty big jump in weight and overall size. Your results may vary, but I tend to err on the side of lighter.

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
I am not too edumucated in the boot department, but I can also tell you that you do get what you pay for here. There was a tremendous difference in support and stability between the $60 Columbias I had been hiking in for years and the $200 Vasques I've had for the last six months.

And always remember: there's a lot of truth to skiers' mantra, "the best boot fits best." Just because it is super-high quality and has a lot of features, if it doesn't fit your foot well it's gona suck.

cbcbd

Tip: Measure your feet while sitting down and then measure them while standing up with weight on them - feet elongate when standing up, so...
If your foot size changes more than 1 size when standing up try some insoles, they will help minimize foot elongation.