• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pocket size ski lock?

deadheadskier

Staff member
molecan's unfortunate situation got me thinking maybe it's about time I start locking my skis. I typically just separate over the years and never had an issue.

Anyone recommend a decent pocket size lock? One that isn't too bulky and preferably won't crack your ribs if you crash on top of it. :lol:

snowmonster

Dakine, Burton and other manufacturers sell a pocket sized version with a retractable leash for about $15. Most ski shops and resorts carry them. I keep one in my jacket all the time. Small enough not to be a bother. In summer, it doubles as my bike's seat lock.

Trekchick

I have one made by dakine. I never used one until I got the bros with the duke bindings. I was warned by far too many folks on the lift about my "sweet set up" so I decided to protect my investment.

A lock won't necessarily stop theft, but it will slow 'em down.

Warp Daddy

SeirusNoJackSkiLockSM.jpg
NO-Jack retractable lock
$22.95

The most convenient way to lock your gear!

Studies show many ski and snowboard thefts happen because we inadvertently make it easy for our gear to be stolen. So why make it easy when you can easily make it harder with a lock?

Lock features......

Cable: A 4 foot flexible steel cable allows you more versatility to lock your gear.

Combination: A 3 digit "Set Your Own" combination makes it easy to remember.

Recoil button: The front push button recoils the cable back into it housing.

Size: Fits easily into a pocket. Measures only 3" high x 2.5" wide x .75" thick.

Plenty of uses: Lock your skis, snowboards or bike.

Our comment: Most locks of this size only have a 3 foot cable. The 4 foot cable allows you to lock around a tree or multiple items.

Alpineaccessories.com

0ButtonRedArrowAddToCart.gif

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Dakine, Burton and other manufacturers sell a pocket sized version with a retractable leash for about $15. Most ski shops and resorts carry them. I keep one in my jacket all the time. Small enough not to be a bother. In summer, it doubles as my bike's seat lock.
+1

I have a three digit retractable lock. I lock everywhere. Even MRG. Overly cautious? Maybe. But I have never had a ski stolen.

Greg

Staff member
Does anyone ever just lock their lock on a rack or fence? I've never used a lock, but if I did, I wouldn't want to carry it around with me. I got enough junk in my pockets as it is.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I have one of these as well. I'm fortunate that Blue has a free ski check, so I've never needed to use it there. Anywhere else I use it all the time.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Does anyone ever just lock their lock on a rack or fence? I've never used a lock, but if I did, I wouldn't want to carry it around with me. I got enough junk in my pockets as it is.
I used to do this. This creates problems when there are multiple lodges or racks that get cluttered. My lock weighs less than my wallet, so I see the extra weight as negligible.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wonder how long until GPS tracking technology chips are imbedded into ski gear, seems like that would solve the problem right there or severely deter many crooks. Heck if they can implant them in the family dog, why not gear?

I'd imagine some tech company is probably working on it as I type this.

drjeff

I used to do this. This creates problems when there are multiple lodges or racks that get cluttered. My lock weighs less than my wallet, so I see the extra weight as negligible.

+1, my lock is no bigger than my wallet or digicam or cell phone. Not using it and having my skis walk far, far, far outweigh the need to put one more small item in one of my pockets.

Basically what I carry with me while on the hill in my various pockets: Car/house keys, wallet, cell phone, digicam(most days), lock, baseball cap, gum, lip balm and then occassionally some extra face protection layers or hand/toe warmer packets.

bvibert

Staff member

The locks are so small you won't even notice it, at least I never did. So much so that I never remembered to even use it, that's why I stopped carrying it... I really should find it or buy a new one and start using it again...

Warp Daddy

The locks are so small you won't even notice it, at least I never did. So much so that I never remembered to even use it, that's why I stopped carrying it... I really should find it or buy a new one and start using it again...

Yep good idea -- its CHEAP insurance

Glenn

Mine looks like this...but has a key instead of a combo thingy. I picked it up for $15-$17 at the local Sports Authority last year. Get the longest cable you can find. All the racks at Mount Snow are tall. I'm sure it helps with keeping the skis in place...but the distance from the rear binding to the rack is really far. I end up having to put our skis on the end of the rack so I have enough cable to loop around.

314rzUc5T3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Moe Ghoul

Mine looks like this...but has a key instead of a combo thingy. I picked it up for $15-$17 at the local Sports Authority last year. Get the longest cable you can find. All the racks at Mount Snow are tall. I'm sure it helps with keeping the skis in place...but the distance from the rear binding to the rack is really far. I end up having to put our skis on the end of the rack so I have enough cable to loop around.

314rzUc5T3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

That's the one I have and glenn explains its shortcoming perfectly. It could use about another 1ft. of cable.

drjeff

That's the one I have and glenn explains its shortcoming perfectly. It could use about another 1ft. of cable.

I've come to realize that with shorter and shorter skis and no change in the standard ski/boardack height that short of carrying 2 locks, there's just no way that you can pass a lock cable through the bindings and around most, if not all ski/board racks, and forget about trying to lock up a couple of pairs of skis this way :mad:

I don't even bother passing the cable through the brakes, and just basically in a figure 8 fashion pass the cable around my skis/rack right next to where a loop/rail on the rack is. Theoretically could a person set on picking by skis off get them, yup. But, 98% of the time, just having to fiddle around with the cable to get the skis will be enough of a deterrant to make the a-hole that wants to take them move onto another UNLOCKED target.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You know, I think my biggest deterrent for theft is that in general, my gear is typically 3-5 years old and most crooks couldn't be bothered. I like my skis, but I don't think most people would look at them and be like, 'man, I'd pay big money for that guy's skis' :lol: Most of the time, I do separate them at base areas though.....

madskier6

Most of the time, I do separate them at base areas though.....

GSS told me that only gapers do that when I volunteered that this is normally what I do as well. I don't agree with him. I know smart thieves will look for the matching ski if they really want to steal them but I figure it's the least I can do to prevent losing my skis.

drjeff

GSS told me that only gapers do that when I volunteered that this is normally what I do as well. I don't agree with him. I know smart thieves will look for the matching ski if they really want to steal them but I figure it's the least I can do to prevent losing my skis.

It's not to difficult to see how a potential thief(a-hole) walking around the racks with 1 ski looking for the other wouldn'r really raise much suspiscion. Playing around with a lock though, that's much more likely to raise suspicion, especially when there are so many unlocked skis/boards in and around your typical base area.