• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This time it's London...

JimG.

Staff member
They didn't even get a whole day to celebrate winning the 2012 Olympics. Al Qaida has blown up a number of mass transit locations...just saw a pic of a double decker bus with the whole top blown off. So far, 2 confirmed dead but over a thousand injured.

It seems obvious that the mess created in Iraq has done little to stop these murderers.

Greg

Staff member
JimG. said:
It seems obvious that the mess created in Iraq has done little to stop these murderers.
:roll: Here we go...this was Bush's fault, right? Let's put this in perspective. Nothing we did could ever justify 9/11. For me, this situation should strengthen our resolve to destroy these barbarians.

In any event, take a look at this thread on Snowheads:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=7430

That's a forum similar to AZ based out of the UK.

SkiDog

Greg said:
JimG. said:
:roll: Here we go...this was Bush's fault, right? Let's put this in perspective. Nothing we did could ever justify 9/11. For me, this situation should strengthen our resolve to destroy these barbarians.

Yeah really...like this wouldn't have happened if "we" had stayed out of Iraq right?

These are religious zealots that are blinded by their beliefs...we cannot stop them because we do not think like them. They are insane..

M

Greg

Staff member
SkiDog said:
Yeah really...like this wouldn't have happened if "we" had stayed out of Iraq right?
Perfectly said.

JimG.

Staff member
SkiDog said:
Greg said:
JimG. said:

These are religious zealots that are blinded by their beliefs...we cannot stop them because we do not think like them. They are insane..

M

Whoa! You both mis-read me. I'm not a political animal and I'm not saying that staying out of Iraq would have stopped this.

All I said was that going there didn't stop it...I'm not blaming Bush, but it is clearly another political hit for that policy.

Can't you guys see that?

SkiDog

Jim its cool...I wasn't trying to attack really, just saying that either way this wouldve most likely happened. Iraq or not, and I firmly believe we needed to take care of Iraq also, so...

What I really wonder here is does it have anything at all to do with the olympic committee decision, and if so would this have happened in whatever host city was chosen?

Probably reaching but....it was a thought I had..

M

thetrailboss

Staff member
Politics aside. This is a horrible incident that has struck us all. Stay tuned for details...but I am not liking the hype ("London Under Attack"). This is why we should all stand together on an international level...

My thoughts and prayers go to the families affected.

On a more personal note, I was in London in January 2002 and rode the line that was bombed (I changed trains in Kings Cross) and I can tell you that the Brits have A LOT of CCTV cameras on the lines and great police/intelligence agencies that have dealt with the IRA so they WILL find who was responsible and those folks are going to get their a$$es handed to them.

Greg

Staff member
JimG. said:
All I said was that going there didn't stop it...I'm not blaming Bush, but it is clearly another political hit for that policy.

Can't you guys see that?
Going there wasn't meant to stop it. And, yes - perhaps this will lead to further criticism of the administration's foreign policy. It'll be interesting to see which lib points that out first. I watched Tony Blair this morning and he looked as pissed as he did visibly shaken and upset. I think you're going to find that he's going stand firmer with the Bush administration now more than ever...

SkiDog said:
What I really wonder here is does it have anything at all to do with the olympic committee decision, and if so would this have happened in whatever host city was chosen?
Interesting theory. Besides NYC, what other cities were under consideration?

bvibert

Staff member
SkiDog said:

Probably reaching but....it was a thought I had..

M

I was wondering if there was some connection there also...

JimG.

Staff member
SkiDog said:
M

Greg said:

Sorry I offended any political sensibilities here, I was just stating a fact-the war in Iraq has done nothing to stop Al Qaida. I'm not blaming Bush.

Here's another fact...as much as I agree that we ought to find these murderers and punish them, how can we ever hope to do so by proudly declaring we don't think like them? That's the whole problem here! These killers couldn't do what they do if they didn't immerse themselve in western culture and learn just how we think. We have to do the same and learn to think like them. Hell, we might even understand why they hate us so much.

Know your enemy.

dmc

It was because of the G8 Summit... Not the Olympics...

JimG.

Staff member
Greg said:
Going there wasn't meant to stop it. And, yes - perhaps this will lead to further criticism of the administration's foreign policy. It'll be interesting to see which lib points that out first. I watched Tony Blair this morning and he looked as pissed as he did visibly shaken and upset. I think you're going to find that he's going stand firmer with the Bush administration now more than ever...

Poor choice of words on my part..."slowed" rather than "stopped" would have been better. I also agree with the comment about Blair standing firm beside Bush. Brits don't take kindly to these types of sneak attacks.

bvibert

Staff member
dmc said:

That was the other thing I was wondering, wasn't that being held in Scotland though?

Greg

Staff member
JimG. said:
Greg said:

Sorry I offended any political sensibilities here, I was just stating a fact-the war in Iraq has done nothing to stop Al Qaida. I'm not blaming Bush.
I didn't mean to come off so abrasive. I probably read deeper into your comment than necessary. I guess I was just put off by the mention of Iraq being in the very first post on this topic. No harm, no foul though.

JimG. said:
Here's another fact...as much as I agree that we ought to find these murderers and punish them, how can we ever hope to do so by proudly declaring we don't think like them? That's the whole problem here! These killers couldn't do what they do if they didn't immerse themselve in western culture and learn just how we think. We have to do the same and learn to think like them. Hell, we might even understand why they hate us so much.

Know your enemy.
I know where you're coming from, but I think we're too late here. It's also not human nature to be this intellectual. If someone punches you in the nose, do you stop to figure out why he did it, or do you just pop him one back? I'm not saying it's the best response, but simply the most common one. In any event, we're beyond the point of reasoning with them. And I really don't care what causes their hate - there's no justification for killing the innocent.

SkiDog

notice too that it seems they are "using" trains and basic public transport to carry out their attacks as its impossible to control all the people using these services...

G8? Also a good theory....

I also strongly argee that Blair will have even stronger resolve and stand even more firmly behind the Bush administration on these matter..maybe the rest of the world will follow suit. I hope it doesnt take an attack in each "big" city for these rest of the world to come around on this..We must fight this like we've never fought before. It doesnt matter to me why they are doing this, there is no justification in my opinion. no matter what they think of "US"..

M

JimG.

Staff member
bvibert said:
dmc said:

That was the other thing I was wondering, wasn't that being held in Scotland though?

What would they blow up in Scotland that would have the media hype of London? These guys feed on attention and hysteria.

In this case, London was the best target for their purposes.

dmc

bvibert said:
dmc said:

It is... BUT Scotland is esentially England since they dissemboweled Braveheart...

My opinion is...
Killing terrorists in Iraq wil never quell the tide of those who want to kill us on our own soil.. The "Iraq war" only creates a place where they can train and in the process kills countless civilians that have nothing to do with our battles...

They've got enough things to be pissed off about that when one dies 2 take the place...

JimG.

Staff member
SkiDog said:
I also strongly argee that Blair will have even stronger resolve and stand even more firmly behind the Bush administration on these matter..maybe the rest of the world will follow suit. I hope it doesnt take an attack in each "big" city for these rest of the world to come around on this.

When they did this in Madrid the population voted the government out of office and Spain withdrew their troops. Not every country wants to be a target, and in many cases these attacks will discourage any participation.