• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Knowing when to say when

skidbump

Now understand i ski 100 plus days a yr. And since i ski those many days i never feel the urge to ski more than what i consider enough, enough can be 1 run when i declare it a bar day or it could be 2 hrs,could be 5 to 6 hours. I know my limitations and i know when to say when.

I usually ski maybe 6 to 8 runs opening day.Its been at Belleaye the last 4 or 5 years and its mid station WROD. I am perfectly happy to just get those few runs in and know that i will do the same the following day. Well the issue today is i really am in alot of pain,not bad pain but worse than i have ever experienced due to skiing. First day was Saturday at Jiminy.Me and wife were third chair for the start of season.My wife usually will stop a few times on a short run but Saturday she pretty much decided not to and we did 8 runs of the six pack in 1:20 min. Now thats 10 minute loops and the ride don't take that long. We took a break and ate hung out for a while then did 2 more and called it a day.Sunday i hook up with bandit2941, Now i have skied alot with Jamie and he is 25 yrs younger than i am. We have skied belleayre almost every weekend the last few yrs and i constantly remind him that i am twice his age and i really don't need to ski anymore. Well Sunday at hunter we arrived at about 8:20 and we get out about 8:30 ish. We skied until 11,All but 2 runs where off quad. We went to bar,bar did not open till 12 so we took 1 off quad and 3 or 4 off triple and we were both done.Took a ride to The Pro and ordered my new liners,then drove up to belleayre to check out how much snow was actually made. Then headed back to Jamie's car ,dropped him off and home i went. I arrived in driveway and barely could walk,i mean barely. Every muscle in legs is screaming,every step is pain on top of pain.So now its Monday nite, I worked for 5 hrs,been on my feet since 6:30 this morning and i am still in pain.

I guess i forgot to say when.
Never will happen again.
I am thinking tomorrow may be worse.
Thanks Jamie i owe ya.

skiing is life

that sucks:sad:. i dont really know what to advise. sounds to me like youve just got skiers legs as my grandfather says. I dont think its unusual for it to last a couple days. espacially in the early season where you havent been skiing for months. of course im no doctor but if your still having pretty bad pain by wednesday maybe you should go get it checked out.

rueler

that's a bummer on the extra soreness!! :sad: It's bound to happen early in the season. Just think, it's only going to get easier as you ski more.

To help prevent extra soreness, I try to stay hydrated throughout the ski day and stretch out thoroughly at the end of the day while my muscles are still somewhat warm.

Skiing is a recreational sport..it's for your own enjoyment..I've skied 9.5 hours in a row...7:30AM-5:00PM..and also skied 2 hours in the rain or an hour and then the lifts closed due to wind. Just ski as much as you want to ski. When I'm on a ski trip and I know I can just drive a few miles back to where I'm staying..I can ski longer and have more fun at the bar. If I have to drive several hours home from NY or VT,,I don't want to wear myself out too much..as I have to drive home and sometimes getting the majority of the drive home in daylight is a nice thing. I've skied Bell to Bell at Stowe on a Sunday and then drove 7 hours home and arrived at Midnight DFT..Dead...F-ing tired..and it's nice to leave early enough to be home for a late dinner..which means skiing nonstop..and getting the most out of the early runs and peacing out at the crack of 1PM..

My ideal ski session is 4-5 hours without a break..7AM-Noon..all high speed lifts..no other people..oh well,,not many places like that exist..so I'll just ski when I can..for as long as I care to ski..woo hoo yee haw..serious stoke!!!!!

And Skidbump..I skied as much at Hunter in 3+ hours as I would have at Bellearye in 5-6 hours..it's more legit terrain and top to bottom high speed quad is so key...

ski220

and stretch out thoroughly at the end of the day while my muscles are still somewhat warm.

Sounds like a couple of good days skiing. But know your paying the price. You charged hard this year instead of going into it like spring training. Then plopped down into the drivers seat for hours. Worst thing you can do. Now every muscle is not only burnt but seized up from driving in the car. You need a little rehabilitation program. That and a hot oil massage from your wife should fix you right up.

cbcbd

The way I usually see it is: as long as it's muscle pain then carry on, you're just making yourself stronger - plus, you just earned yourself a nice juicy steak, perfect for rebuilding that damaged muscle.

Now joint pain, torn or sprained tendons/ligaments, etc... those things you just can't push hard and expect quick recovery. You just got some quality early conditioning to the ski season... if this were the first day of a multi-day ski vacation then I'd be bummed.

skiboarder

The thing that destroys my legs is touch football. At 41, I don't do a lot of all out sprinting that much anymore. Right after the game, I get in a tub of freezing cold water. Sadistic? Yeah, a bit, but it helps to reduce the inflamation. This can be helpful up to 48 hours after the injury/overuse. Good luck.

SIKSKIER

The best thing that has worked for me in preparing for the season is single track MTB.Having said that,I have not done much in the last few years and even when I did,my ass cheeks have always been sore for a couple days after the first outing.OK, go ahead,I know its coming.

mlctvt

Pre-season workouts is the only way to avoid the lactic acid buildup that can cause pain thaqt can last for days. Last weekend was my first of the season and this was the first year I had absolutely no pain in the legs. Probably due to the last 2 month's workouts. Lots of squats with weights, many pulsing squats up to the point of fatigue. I followed a few of my wifes DVDs- these hour long workouts killed for the first few weeks but they sure did help the quads. These workouts use low weights but high reps. I think I lost 5-10 lbs too.

kingslug

I hit the eliptical 4 days a week plus weights..seems to work as I don't feel any pain after skiing. I was suprised that I didn't feel a thing after this Sunday at Hunter. Usualy after the first day its murder!! But hey...its a good pain!!

Sky

I'm way off my anticipated aerobic efforts for the pre-season...but I've been hitting the weights regulary PLUS I've been doing them rather dynamicly (dynamically?...they both look wrong and I'm not getting the dictionary). I do upright rwoing with bent legs. almost a squat. Bench press, dumbell press (further back so it works my triceps), hammer curls (all done at a pretty good clip), then lunges with the dumbells.

I don't often get multiple sets in back-to-back. But I get a set or two in @ work (convenient access to the wt room) and a set or two in at home.

Only ran 3 miles once...but I did it pain free and the lungs were in decent shape.

So after a brisk morning of skiing Sunday, the only marginally sore spot on my body is....glutes.

Everything else feels fabulous.