• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Highpointing Roadtrip July 1-4, 2005

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
Disclaimer: This trip had only a little bit of hiking. It was mostly driving. However, it was to get state highpoints which is definitely a hiking-related topic. It just so happened that this trip was to midwestern states, all of which had hikes less than a mile long. When I get around to doing northeastern highpoints (Marcy, Mansfield, Washington, and Katahdin) the trip reports will be more "hiking" and less "driving."

I hope you find it interesting.

Relevant Beta:
* 60 hours
* 2817 miles
* Saw all 5 great lakes in one day
* 5 state highpoints
* U.S. & Canada
* 8 states
* 8 hours of sleep
* One enounter with the cops

Required Beta:
Date(s) Hiked: July 2nd & 3rd (driving only on 1 and 4)

Trails(s) Hiked: Charles Mound Trail (2 miles RT), Timms Hill trail (¼ mile RT), Mt. Arvon trail (½ mile RT)

Total Distance: 2 3/4 miles

Difficulty: Hiking was extremely easy. Driving? Not so easy.

Conditions: Nice

Special Required Equipment: Red Bull

Trip Report:
View the 7000-word report here:
http://turzman.com/projects/tr-greatlakes.html

View my highpointing web site here:
http://turzman.com/projects/highpoints/

awf170

ur going to hike washington not drive up it right

mt marcy looks hard, you have to stay overnight or be a marathon runner.
So when are you planning the alaska high point :wink:

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
awf170 said:
ur going to hike washington not drive up it right

No self-respecting highpointer drives up Mt. Washington. (Actually that's not true, but it is funny to say)

It's not that it's particularly hard, it's just long. I'm not much of a camper, but I'll probably backpack it. I'll finally get to use that tent I bought. Seriously, it should be fun.

So when are you planning the alaska high point :wink:

After I do the Washington HP. Which will be after I do the Oregon HP. Which will be after I lose about 100 lbs. :)
Maybe three years?

I'd like to do Mansfield from Stowe in the wintertime - Hike up to the summit from the ski area and ski down.

I don't know when I'll do Katahdin, but when I do I definitely want to traverse the Knife Edge.

awf170

pizza said:
I don't know when I'll do Katahdin, but when I do I definitely want to traverse the Knife Edge.
The knife edge is awsome, would like to go do it again, not as scary as it looks

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
Mohamed Ellozy said:
awf170 said:
Not really, I had no difficulty doing it as a day trip both in summer and in winter, and Lord knows that I am not a fast hiker.

Mohamed,

Your web site is excellent. Lots of great information. I've gone to it in the past to research a couple of my trips, and I'm sure I'll go back in the future.

Thanks

cbcbd

awf170 said:
It can be done as a daytrip. From what I remember it was only around 6-7 miles to the top. Most people I saw up there were dayhiking it or staying by the Marcy Dam, which is only about 2 miles from the Loj.

And man, I like driving, but that's gotta be death!

awf170

cbcbd said:
awf170 said:
It can be done as a daytrip. From what I remember it was only around 6-7 miles to the top. Most people I saw up there were dayhiking it or staying by the Marcy Dam, which is only about 2 miles from the Loj.

And man, I like driving, but that's gotta be death!

ya just noticed that it wasnt that bad... gotta go do it, cause i already got mt wash. katatidn and mansfield. Think i would just do the day trip, looks pretty flat almost the whole way up