• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Evans Notch Hike Recommendations - weekend of 7/16

ChileMass

Hey all -

I want to go up one of the more challenging routes in Evans Notch next weekend, but will likely have some kids with me (from ages 9-13). Last year we did an easy hike up Bicknell Brook path to Blueberry Mt., but this year, I'm thinking of either Royce or one of the Baldfaces. Anyone have any thoughts on whether kids can handle these hikes?

MtnMagic

Chile, welcome to hiking in the true North Country, where few find the time or desire to go. You are hitting on two of the best hikes out there! To answer your question, Royce or the Baldfaces, here is my opinion. Both are equally steep IMO. Children always seem to enjoy each of the summit's challenges and are more daring at a young age. Baldface is more steep than The Royces. My answer is to do both for variety. Enjoy, all of your group will love it!

ChileMass

MtnMagic said:
Chile, welcome to hiking in the true North Country, where few find the time or desire to go. You are hitting on two of the best hikes out there! To answer your question, Royce or the Baldfaces, here is my opinion. Both are equally steep IMO. Children always seem to enjoy each of the summit's challenges and are more daring at a young age. Baldface is more steep than The Royces. My answer is to do both for variety. Enjoy, all of your group will love it!

Thanks Magic - I think we will likely wind up doing Royce since it's a little easier on the kids. They tend to complain if the terrain gets really steep, and I want them to have fun.

Trip report to follow next week -

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I didn't think the Baldfaces were overly steep except on the descent down from North (having done the loop). The good part is the vast amount of time spent above treeline. The ledges are a little unnerving, though the kids would probably just fly up them.

That said, do the Royces first and let 'em have fun. Come back later and do the Baldface Circle Loop south to north, and you can shortcut down Bicknell Ridge and near the bottom there's a fantastic swimming hole.