• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bicycle touring

pedxing

A co-worker and I were talking about doing multi-day bicycle trips. He might go cross country one day. I'm more likely to do something in New England and/or the Maritimes.

Are there good websites for people who do this? Other sites where I could learn useful stuff about routes, gear, camp sites, etc...?

ctenidae

You might try Active.com- they list out all the biking/running events going on, by locality. I got on their mailing list when I did the NY Century, and never unsubscribed- maybe, just maybe, I'll see something interesting. Or buy a bike.

Vortex

There are a few mountain Bikers around here. AndyZee, Ga2ski. I bought 3 mountain bikes last month. None for me I hike. Family likes it. Try a pm to them also.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
pedxing,

I did a fun tour once, went from NJ up through Albany, across VT, NH, Mass. to Boston, took the ferry to Cape Cod, then to Martha's Vineyard. Stayed on MV for 3 days, then took took the ferry back to the coast and biked back via RI, CT, and NY. One of the best vacations of my life. It was a total of about 1000 miles in 2 weeks. I did my best to take everything I needed on the bike, tent, food, inflatable mattress, cooking utensils, etc.... A lot of the planning was just common sense, for things I was unceratain about, the biggest help preparing for this trip was a book put out by the Sierra Club, "Bike Touring, TheSierraClubGidetoOutings on Wheels", by Raymond Bridge. My trip was 12 years ago, at that time the book was $10.95 .

At the time, there wasn't as much on the web, so not sure about web sites. Wish I had time for another trip like this. I envy you and wish you the best of luck.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
pedxing said:
Thanks Andy, Ctand Bob. Andy, that sounds like a fantastic trip!

Yeah, it was a great trip and a good test. I wasn't sure if I would be able to accomplish this, after I was done, it was a great sense of accomplishment and I was starting to think about going to Florida, California, etc... Unfortunetly, I got a job before I had a chance to do anything more. :lol: Damn work always gets in the way of a good time.

pedxing

Jobs! They really do interfere with even the best plans. I haven't been able to find a cure for my paycheck addiction either.

Actually, there was a stretch of time when I couldn't work - and I really did stress out over it (unfortunately I couldn't hike or take long bike trips either).

pedxing

Right now, I'm just considering. My big getaway for this year is an attempt to hike the Long Trail (starting at the Canadian border). I leave in a week. For a variety of reasons (mostly related to age and injury) I'm thinking I need to add some more low impact trekking into the mix.