Full Time Pro

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Time Pro

Full Time Pro

Iím approaching that wonderful time know as retirement. I was hoping to supplement my pension and work as a full time pro. The real benefit of this is the ability to get out of the house and ski on a regular basesÖĒsorry dear, but it is a job you know. I have to goÖĒ I donít know how many times Iíll be able to get away with that, but Iíll try anything. I have no shame. If anyone would like to share info on what types of arrangements are available I would appreciate it. Thanks.
    I didnít find a previous thread on this, but that of course does not mean that there wasnít one. If there is if someone can just point me in the right direction I will go peacefully.

Re: Full Time Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Iím approaching that wonderful time know as retirement. I was hoping to supplement my pension and work as a full time pro. The real benefit of this is the ability to get out of the house and ski on a regular basesÖĒsorry dear, but it is a job you know. I have to goÖĒ I donít know how many times Iíll be able to get away with that, but Iíll try anything. I have no shame. If anyone would like to share info on what types of arrangements are available I would appreciate it. Thanks.
    I didnít find a previous thread on this, but that of course does not mean that there wasnít one. If there is if someone can just point me in the right direction I will go peacefully.
    Full time pro skiing what? Instructor? Patroller?

I've done the instructor thing. It was great after 10 years and I became a coach and I got my own seasonal program group. That's when I got to get out there with good skiers and tear up the hill. But it's alot of work to keep regular clients happy.

As for folks starting out, the first 5 years or so (depending on how politically connected you are; yes, like any office job there are ALOT of politics)
    you will not be heading up to the hill for a day of skiing. Oh, you'll be there early, but after a few warmup runs you'll be on call to teach, either sitting around or teaching beginners. 75% of lessons taught are beginners, 90% beginners and novices.

So I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking to be an instructor and you like to socialize and ski a little, this might be the ticket. If you're a hotshot looking to melt the snow because you ski so fast, then it isn't for you.

PSIA-E located in Albany is the governing body for pro instructors in the east. For more info, go to:

www.psia-e.org

Teaching pro's generally only get paid for the time the are teaching, which leads to alot of time without pay. However it is a great way to spend time on the hill, meet a great bunch of people and earn a few bucks also. What you need to do is to contact the director or human resources (going to the director of the "ski school" is generally the best) at the area you want to work at and see what is available.

Ski Patrol.... At least you get to ski and get first aid skills.. Also - generally liberal free skiing policies at other areas for patrollers..

Instructors are often times stuck on beginners slopes all day...
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JimG.
    My first post was not clear. Sorry Iíll try again. I have been a part time instructor for eight seasons, and wish to continue as an instructor. I was just trying to get information as to what to expect both financially and work wise, before I approach a school for full time work.

Full time pro skiing what? Instructor? Patroller?

I've done the instructor thing. It was great after 10 years and I became a coach and I got my own seasonal program group. That's when I got to get out there with good skiers and tear up the hill. But it's alot of work to keep regular clients happy.

As for folks starting out, the first 5 years or so (depending on how politically connected you are; yes, like any office job there are ALOT of politics)
    you will not be heading up to the hill for a day of skiing. Oh, you'll be there early, but after a few warmup runs you'll be on call to teach, either sitting around or teaching beginners. 75% of lessons taught are beginners, 90% beginners and novices.

So I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking to be an instructor and you like to socialize and ski a little, this might be the ticket. If you're a hotshot looking to melt the snow because you ski so fast, then it isn't for you.

PSIA-E located in Albany is the governing body for pro instructors in the east. For more info, go to:

www.psia-e.org

...Iím approaching that wonderful time know as retirement. I was hoping to supplement my pension and work as a full time pro. The real benefit of this is the ability to get out of the house and ski on a regular basesÖIf there is if someone can just point me in the right direction I will go peacefully...
    I've been working on this as well...go visit the mountain you're interested in working at and speak with the Dept. Manager...it's as easy as that...

Because I don't want to muscle the equipment (a young man's job) on the mountain, and I do not consider picking pieces of people on trails enjoyable, I prefer instructing...over the last few years I've participated in Instructor Training programs...it is good training and you get to work with people who want to be there as well...however like any job, there can be frustrations...which may get in the way of SKIING...

GO FOR IT.
    Half of what I say is meaningless, but I say it so that the other half may reach you.

You may wan't to check out the instruction forum on Epicski.com. They're a lot of instructors on that forum that may be able to point you in the right direction.
    ~Rich~

All right I screwed up again. Sorry. I'm at work and I was actually working. I guess I'm not much of a multi tasker. What I ment to say was:

My first post was not clear. Sorry Iíll try again. I have been a part time instructor for eight seasons, and wish to continue as an instructor. I was just trying to get information as to what to expect both financially and work wise, before I approach a school for full time work.

All right I screwed up again. Sorry. I'm at work and I was actually working. I guess I'm not much of a multi tasker. What I ment to say was:

So you know the drill. I was a part-timer too. Being a full-timer is a totally different ball of wax. Definitely more free-skiing time. You'll get better lessons too; I would try to become a private lesson guru...you develop regular clients and get decent tips. The pay scale is better. You get treated better because they value full-timers more than part-timers.

I agree with Charlie...go for it.

I'm going to state the obvious here. Not tying to be wise.(probably sounds like it though) Each mountain has a jobs linc on the Web site. I know Loon and Waterville do trainings in Nov and December. I have few friends that do it full time. Where is your home base or where do you want it to be? Seasons positions seem to be open if you go early. My next door neighbor taught full time during the week at Wateville last year.
    Skiing is my addiction.

Thread Information