• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Posting O.B pics/reports

awf170

What do you think about it...
Like what do you is okay and what is not?
IMO you can posts pics as long as it doesnt give anything away, like just dont post pics looking out across the mountain range so you can tell where it is, also no entrance pics. Just pics of it i think are fine because it doesnt give anything away.

About my trip report from wildcat about the creek and everything i think it was a little to much makin a folder with pics from it and all...
http://forums.alpinezone.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
but i dont think it gives anything away about location at all(and dont say it is in the thompson brook area, cause it isnt)
also stuff in other pics like 'little chute of polecat' i think is brode enough to not tell you much of anything unless you wanna search both sides of polecat for 3 miles, but i dunno maybe i shouldnt even say anything...

NHpowderhound

Stashes are nothing to be taken lightly IMO. Respect the fact that they are usually made by just a handfull of people. I only show a stash to someone I have skied with and know that they will respect it. I try to stay out of some stashes at Jay because I know how frustrating it can be for a local to find his/her stash has been poached by some tourist(did I just call myself a tourist?)when the the rest of the mountain has tons of fresh lines. And I'll never understand why people head for stashes first chair after a snowstorm :-? .Save it for another day,or at least the end of the day when the rest of the mountain is tracked out.
As far as pics go, I like to keep it discrete.Along with descriptions of which trail it can be found on.It doesnt take Sherlock Holmes to figure out where something is on the mountain with only a few clues and some deductive reasoning.
And yes,people WILL ski 3 miles down the polecat to find it!I have! :lol:
((*
*))NHPH

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
austin, you've been banging that drum about the brook run across nearly every single northeast ski forum to the point that if any one didn't know about it before, they sure know about it now! :lol: not like that is super secret or anything.

my thought is if you have to ask yourself or others if you should be posting it, you probably shouldn't. my trip reports lately have trended to show off the goods but not have any hints or lead points as to how to find them. obvious and easy to find lines i am not so protective of in photos, but tend not to follow them with many written comments if any. others in the know will see the conditions and get the picture (pun intended).

people who ski the O/B are just as desperate for reports and pics as people skiing in bounds. you definitely don't want to take a blind huck over two feet of powder without knowing if that rock has been covered up yet. nor do folks want to bust their butts down a thinly covered trail that wasn't worth the hike. the trick is to be discrete what you post.

folks in the back country are amazing about sharing their knowledge. i don't want folks reading this to think it's some sorta secret society with weird hand shakes or anything. i have shown and been shown some great runs and lines on many an occasion. but the trick is you gotta do the work and go after it, no one worth the snow they are skiing on is gonna dish the goods on a web site for the folks who aren't out there chewing wood to find an epic run.

awf170

riverc0il said:
austin, you've been banging that drum about the brook run across nearly every single northeast ski forum to the point that if any one didn't know about it before, they sure know about it now! :lol: not like that is super secret or anything.

Hey, i said a few things here about it and then on FTO when i told someone where it was. I was looking through old FTO like a week ago and saw that i said that and was like ohh crap :angry: , i meant that to be a PM, but being an idiot and never using that website before really i posted it :dunce: . I probably made for that guys worst run of his life after tellin him, because if he didnt know about it then he obviosly doesnt ski OB or glades much or at all. I thought everyone knew about it after it being on the trail map and being put in Skiing mag, im not saying i was right for saying anything. and next time i post anything ill try to more secretive and less of a :dunce:

loafer89

I would love to learn of some O/B skiing at Sugarloaf, unfortunately I do not ski there with people familiar with the backcountry.

I read about it all the time at the Sugarloaf forum, but the I have no idea what/where they are talking about. :dunce: