• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Little Haystack, Lincoln and Lafayette July 16th

Vortex

Date hiked Sat July 16th
Temps in the 60's in the early am. foggy most of the hike up and humid. Views were minimal until Lincoln and Lafayette. Shinning rock fogged in totally.

We started a little after 8.30 the Mrs and myself. We went up the Falling waters trail. All the falls were going pretty well. Cloudy and very humid. We stopped in at Shinning rock all fogged in.

We headed up to the top of Little Haystack. 3hrs 10 min. 5 min slower than book time, but we did go to shinning rock for about 20 min. Little Haystack was fogged in you could see some off the back side. A large French Group was hiking. Not much english being spoken. I felt out of place. :wink:

We took about a 40 min rest and had lunch waiting for the clouds to break. We gave up and headed across the Ridge. (Franconia ridge trail I believe) We stopped at Lincoln and Lafayette for views as the sun started to come through. When the sun came out on the rocks it was butal. It took about 1.15 to get to Lafayette with stops. Alot of sucking wind. :D 10 min or so behind book time.

We took the Greenleaf trail down to the hut. Took about an hour The views were awesome of Cannon and Echo lake. It was really hot. The Best views of the day were from the hut back up at Lincoln and Lafayette. We had a snack and took it easy at the hut.

We took the Old Bridal path back down from the hut. Should have taken 1.5 it took us 1.45. We were spent.
I'm still sore today, but glad we went. took us about 8 hours. About 8 miles I believe. We drank a ton of water lucky we brought that much :wink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Great report, classic hike. We did that loop last Memorial Day and it was a bit longer than planned...Ms. TB's intro to the Whites...great views and good times :beer:

cbcbd

Nice! Saturday's weather was great - if the sun wasn't on your back.
I was at Lafayette at around 10:30 so I passed that section a little ahead of you guys. After I passed Liberty the whole ridge was in the clouds the entire traverse. But, on the positive side... it made the hike cool, especially with the breeze.

Vortex

cbcbd said:
Nice! Saturday's weather was great - if the sun wasn't on your back.
I was at Lafayette at around 10:30 so I passed that section a little ahead of you guys. After I passed Liberty the whole ridge was in the clouds the entire traverse. But, on the positive side... it made the hike cool, especially with the breeze.

To bad we missed you. After the sun broke through the views were just beautiful. I got a few picutures of me next to Alpine Zone signs. I hope to post them when I have some time.

cbcbd

I was hoping to see some AZ member there so I could later come on here and say "That was me!" :D
I got some pictures from that day, but I think there was something wrong with my camera. I was lucky too and was at Bondcliff when the light was perfect for pictures. Many people were there just to get some pics of them on that ledge.
Can't wait to see your pics of the view.

Vortex

cbcbd said:
I was hoping to see some AZ member there so I could later come on here and say "That was me!" :D
I got some pictures from that day, but I think there was something wrong with my camera. I was lucky too and was at Bondcliff when the light was perfect for pictures. Many people were there just to get some pics of them on that ledge.
Can't wait to see your pics of the view.

Pictures of me are all over the gallery. Trust me I was the guy in the the tye die hiking under tired legs. I would have not been missed. Best part was my wife did a really nice job on her 1st full day hike of the year. I'll try to get the pictures to work. Just need the time.