• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

newbie skis?

Greg

Staff member
I skied the AC30 for a day last year and wouldn't recommend it for an intermediate. Just like Greg says you better be aggressive and like going fast.

I should reiterate, the AC3 (and I assume the 30) is a great ski. Just a bit much to get back into the sport with.

o3jeff

I actually started with a K2 5com which proved to be a great all around ski for me for the past 2 years. I think you still find them fairly cheap brand new with bindings.

Edit: If you live fairly close and you consider the K2 5com's let me know, will give you a deal on them. They have about 25 days on them(mostly half days), no core shots, but they could use a tune.

Last edited:

snowmonster

The AC3 is a solid advanced ski. IF you intend to stay in the sport for the long haul, then this may be your one-ski quiver for years to come. Problem is that, at this point, you have to work on getting to the level that the AC3 requires. You may have to take in one or two more lessons and rent. Perhaps after one more lesson, you have the fundamentals down and have enough skill to drive an AC3.

But, since the question was limited to "which of these three skis would you recommend," then my answer is the AC3.

Greg

Staff member
The AC3 is a solid advanced ski. IF you intend to stay in the sport for the long haul, then this may be your one-ski quiver for years to come. Problem is that, at this point, you have to work on getting to the level that the AC3 requires. You may have to take in one or two more lessons and rent. Perhaps after one more lesson, you have the fundamentals down and have enough skill to drive an AC3.

But, since the question was limited to "which of these three skis would you recommend," then my answer is the AC3.

The AC3 was an upper intermediate to advanced level ski. To me, one really has to be able to at least link consistent parallel turns on an intermediate run to really be able to control that ski efficiently.

Now granted, it's not like automagp68 is going to click into AC3s and immediately be tossed down the hill. My concern would be that it might keep him from progressing due to it being a pretty demanding ski. A couple of lessons is not going to put him at the skill level that ski was designed for.

I don't know anything about any of those other skis so I really couldn't recommend one. I would look more towards something like an older Rossi Bandit B1 or something similar for a decent but more forgiving all mountain ski to start with.

automagp68

Yea he recomended the AC3 not 30

I was very honest with him with my skill level.

the rentals i was useing i just could not get to carve or hockey stop. He was telling me they are desiged not to. Hense them being a rental. That was my concern yesterday and my motivation to get something better.

I wonder why he would recomend an AC 3 from what you state. Im mostly going to cruise, not trying to go nuts lol!ac3 and ac3 are different right?

Cuz he said 3

Greg

Staff member
Yea he recomended the AC3 not 30

I was very honest with him with my skill level.

the rentals i was useing i just could not get to carve or hockey stop. He was telling me they are desiged not to. Hense them being a rental. That was my concern yesterday and my motivation to get something better.

I wonder why he would recomend an AC 3 from what you state. Im mostly going to cruise, not trying to go nuts lol!ac3 and ac3 are different right?

Cuz he said 3

The AC3 is the older version of the AC30. It's a bit narrower at the waist. Rental skis are not meant to carve or "hockey stop"? :blink: I would check out a few different shops...

automagp68

I am just restateing what i was rold by him.

"Rental skis are not ment to carve or hockey stop" - Ski shop guy

Hockey stop, term that he used and one i have heard others use.

Did i state somethinw wrong?

Greg

Staff member
I am just restateing what i was rold by him.

"Rental skis are not ment to carve or hockey stop" - Ski shop guy

Hockey stop, term that he used and one i have heard others use.

Did i state somethinw wrong?

I gotcha. That's my point. You might want to look elsewhere.

automagp68

So would you say that the ski shop guy is wrong in his comment?

They were 150's and remember a minute ago we were talking about length

o3jeff

Are they AC3 brand new? I think that ski was replaced about 2 years ago with the AC30.

I would definitely shop around, doesn't sound like he is looking after your best interests.

Where do you live, maybe we could recommended a shop.

Greg

Staff member
So would you say that the ski shop guy is wrong in his comment?

They were 150's and remember a minute ago we were talking about length

Maybe not necessarily. But it sounds like he's talking out his ass a little bit. Sure, the rental ski is not meant to be a GS carver, but I'm sure it can be made to carve turns, i.e. get the ski up on edge. Just seemed like kind of an out there comment.

If you had trouble getting the ski to carve, nor hockey stop, i.e. skid, exactly how did it turn? It might very well be that since you haven't skied in 15 years, that you're just not used to how the modern ski technology differs from what you skied on as a kid. Laying any ski on edge will get it to carve somewhat.

Anyway, my point was to just shop around, and don't put all your faith into what one guy tells you (me included ;) )...

automagp68

I live in Boston.

It was the guy at the Wachusette Ski shop. Talked a bit on the phone to him.

I appreciate all the advice. He recomended those 3 models to me after i told him explicitly my skill level. I was talking to him in reference to their Demo program. He recomended i demo those 3

automagp68

Make sense greg

Thanks

Well here is what i learned

I could preform the motion to hockey stop yesterday very well, however when i did, it just came to a very very fast grinding halt, and did not skid very well. One time it was such a fast stop i lost my balance a bit. They did not skid well which was an issue. I could not get up to fast speeds because i feared should i try to hockey stop at that speed with out skidding at all i was in for an unexpected ride. That was my concern. It could obviously be my skill level, but what kinda started this thread was my curiousity to ask if a better ski may "skid better" maybe!! lol

Thanks for being so helpful. Hopefully ill get to meet some of you on the mountain to thank you with a beer at the lodge after the day is out!

snowmonster

And so what are rental ski supposed to do then? Just go straight in a line? Yes, shop guy is not correct in his comment. If it has any sort of sidecut, it is designed with some form of carving in mind. Hockey stops are a technique involving digging your uphill edges in the snow. Theoretically, you can do hockey stops with two by fours strapped to your feet.

Length - 150 is too short.

Edit: I'm in Boston too. Headed to Wa after work tomorrow. PM if you need to ski.

Greg

Staff member
I could preform the motion to hockey stop yesterday very well, however when i did, it just came to a very very fast grinding halt, and did not skid very well. One time it was such a fast stop i lost my balance a bit. They did not skid well which was an issue. I could not get up to fast speeds because i feared should i try to hockey stop at that speed with out skidding at all i was in for an unexpected ride. That was my concern. It could obviously be my skill level, but what kinda started this thread was my curiousity to ask if a better ski may "skid better" maybe!! lol

Makes total sense. Think about the straight skis you skied on as a kid. Hockey stopping with something like that will case the edge to pretty evenly skid on the snow. On today's shaped skis, the shovel (tip) and tail are wider and the waist is narrower relative to them. When you try to put it on edge, the shovel and tail are going to grab, thus bending the ski, making it to want to turn. That's the whole point of shaped skis. If you were able to get it to skid perpendicular to the fall line in a hockey stop motion, it would make sense that it would stop you abruptly. That's because the ski really wanted to turn and keep moving, but you were able to muscle it to a stop. That's just a sensation you're going to have to get used to with modern skis. If you have the chance to demo a few of those skis, go ahead and do it. It'll all make sense after a few more times out.

automagp68

And so what are rental ski supposed to do then? Just go straight in a line? Yes, shop guy is not correct in his comment. If it has any sort of sidecut, it is designed with some form of carving in mind. Hockey stops are a technique involving digging your uphill edges in the snow. Theoretically, you can do hockey stops with two by fours strapped to your feet.

Length - 150 is too short.

Edit: I'm in Boston too. Headed to Wa after work tomorrow. PM if you need to ski.

Well, he indicated rentals are more for learning how to snow plow and and snow plow turns and such. Not sure why i could not get them to skid. I mean i could it was just difficult to get them to actually skid and not dig in and and just stop. Im in night school in boston tomorow is my liast night of classes on tuesdays other wise i would definatley go!
Maybe next week. Tuesdays and thursdays are def good. after this week!

Last edited:

automagp68

Makes total sense. Think about the straight skis you skied on as a kid. Hockey stopping with something like that will case the edge to pretty evenly skid on the snow. On today's shaped skis, the shovel (tip) and tail are wider and the waist is narrower relative to them. When you try to put it on edge, the shovel and tail are going to grab, thus bending the ski, making it to want to turn. That's the whole point of shaped skis. If you were able to get it to skid perpendicular to the fall line in a hockey stop motion, it would make sense that it would stop you abruptly. That's because the ski really wanted to turn and keep moving, but you were able to muscle it to a stop. That's just a sensation you're going to have to get used to with modern skis. If you have the chance to demo a few of those skis, go ahead and do it. It'll all make sense after a few more times out.

Thanks for explaing that, makes perfect sense. So what is the trick to a hockey stop with new ski technology lol! guess it comes with practice i suppose. So in general more advanced ski's will not make it easier to hocketstop? correct. Would make sense i suppose

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for explaing that, makes perfect sense. So what is the trick to a hockey stop with new ski technology lol! guess it comes with practice i suppose. So in general more advanced ski's will not make it easier to hocketstop? correct. Would make sense i suppose

Maybe, maybe not. I would stop thinking about any limitations certain skis have. A truly expert skier could ski just about anything with ease and look good doing it. Of course people skid to a stop all the time, so it's really the skier, not the ski. You'll get it. You just need more time on snow. I would day rent at least one more time. Maybe try to get on something different than you skied last time.

A lot of ski talk here. Remember, proper fitting boots are the most important thing once you start to buy your own equipment.

automagp68

Maybe, maybe not. I would stop thinking about any limitations certain skis have. A truly expert skier could ski just about anything with ease and look good doing it. Of course people skid to a stop all the time, so it's really the skier, not the ski. You'll get it. You just need more time on snow. I would day rent at least one more time. Maybe try to get on something different than you skied last time.

A lot of ski talk here. Remember, proper fitting boots are the most important thing once you start to buy your own equipment.

Makes alot of sense Greg
I know Boots are a very big deal.

ok here is another comical issue of mine, as if this isnt bad enough.

I have very wide flat Feet.
The rental boots where surprisingly comfortble
im a 27.5 not that it means much.

I have heard that salomon(spelling?) has the widest boot

Someone mentioned shell fit?