• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunting Season Hiking

B

Bond

Ok, I know it's a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. I've usually avoided hiking in November on the assumption that I'll be mistaken for venison. (Now I admit that I usually choose more obscure peaks outside of the Whites). Any suggestions for good November hikes? I should know this, but I don't: Is hunting allowed in the WMNF?

sp1936

Yes, hunting is allowed in the WMNF, or most of it. Also, hunting seasons in NH don't just happen in November. Here's a summary from F & G:

Sept. 1 - Dec. 7 Black bear/dates vary according to method and WMU
Sept. - Jan. Waterfowl/dates vary by species and zone
Sept. 27 - Sept. 28 Waterfowl/youth weekend
Sept. 15 - Dec. 15 Deer/archery
Sept. 15 - Dec. 15 Wild turkey/archery
Oct. 1 - Mar. 31 Small game/dates vary by species
Oct. 1 - Dec. 31 Pheasant
Oct. 18 - Oct. 26 Moose
Oct. 25 - Oct. 26 Deer/youth weekend
Nov. 1 - Nov. 11 Deer/muzzleloader
Nov. 12 - Dec. 7 Deer/firearms
May 3 - May 31 Wild turkey/archery and firearms

No reason to worry about it. Hunter accidents are rare in NH and usually don't involve non-hunters. Wear some red or blaze orange if you're concerned.

We're usually in the Whites in early November because that's our anniversary and my son's birthday. We do (or attempt to do) the same hikes in November as the other months, keeping in mind that winter gear might be required. I've turned back on 19 Mile Brook trail in November because nobody had crampons. I've continued on (and had a great hike) in November on the Imp loop when some snow was encountered higher up.

M

mtnman2003

hunters dont scare me but.....

I am more worried during rutting season that a big bull moose will look through those bad eyes and mistake me for a female moose. Not a pleasant picture but that is what scares me this time of year more than anything!

B

Bond

Nothing to worry about . . . just roll over and pretend that you're bored. Eventually the Moose will lose interest.

Greg

Staff member
Bond said:
Nothing to worry about . . . just roll over and pretend that you're bored. Eventually the Moose will lose interest.
:blink:

Mike P.

Very few hunters hunt near the busier trails because too many hikers scare the game away. (Someone just posted a bear picture up on the Alpine Garden of Washington but I doubt you'll see many hunters up there waiting for the bear to return. Plus like CT I suspect you need to be several hundred feet or yards from a road & that is no place to sit & wait in November)

Presidentials, Franconia Ridge, Moosilauke, Willey Range Kinsmans from Lonesome should be fine.

Unknown Pond, north of 110 near Owl's Head (Cherry Mt.) off of 113 on teh other hand may be more frequented by game & hunters.