• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Maine AT - Rainbow Stream to Wadleigh Stream - 8/30/03

askus3

Date of Hike: Saturday, August 30, 2003

Route: Appalachian Trail - Rainbow Stream Lean-to to Wadleigh Stream Lean-to.

Pictures: None at this time, since I was not on this section of the trip.

Total Distance: 8.1 miles

Difficulty: Relatively easy terrain

Conditions: excellent

Weather: partly cloudy, 60s.

Participants: Dean Gletsos, Alex Lantino & Chris Connolly

Hike Statistics:
0.0 1000 8:20 AM Rainbow Stream Lean-to - Start of Hike
1.7 800 9:20 short flume in gorge with remains of log dam
2.4 660 9:30-9:45 Pollywog Stream - bridge
3.7 900 10:20 bottom of Pollywog Gorge
5.0 1000 11:05-11:20 cross logging road
6.2 1510 12:10-1:00 Nesuntabunt Mountain
8.1 670 2:00 PM Wadleigh Stream Lean-to - End of Hike

Trip Report:

This was the second day of a four-day backpack as we continued to hike thru the northern lake section of the Hundred Mile Wilderness. I was not with the group. Notes were passed on by Dean & Chris which I used to compile this report. This day was an easy day with one climb of 500 feet up Nesuntabunt Mountain during its course. It was made 3.8 miles shorter then planned, since they hiked more yesterday to Rainbow Stream Lean-to to avoid the evening rain storm. It appears they hiked by without making significant stops in the Pollywog Gorge area. Also note that at the 2.4 mile point in today's hike, I would have gone off the AT 1/2 mile to Nahmakanta Lake Camp and ended my 2nd day of hiking there, but I would have stopped at Rainbow Spring Campsite, the 1st night under favorable conditions. (see yesterday's planning entry) There was a great view of Mt. Katahdin and other mountains and lakes from Nesuntabunt Mountain which they made a lengthy lunch stop at. .4 miles beyond the Wadleigh Stream Lean-to on the AT was a sand swimming beach in Nahmakanta Lake where Chris & Alex went swimming. Alex chose to camp at this location instead of the shelter overnight. A campfire at the beach was enjoyed by all.