• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

K2 Apache Crossfire

DefJef

Thoughts on this ski, as an all mtn. ski. How does it perform against other similar brands like Salomon Scream and Volki?
Thanks

BeanoNYC

Hi DefJef and welcome to the forums. I have K2 Apache Blackhawks (which is the same ski as an Apache X, but with black coloring instead.) I really like this ski as it holds edges well when cruising, and has some good pop in the rough stuff. My ski buddy has a pair of screams and he loves them. They're a bit fatter in the middle than my K2's. I plan on giving his skis a try this coming winter to see the difference As for the Volkls? I have no clue, but hear good things about them. When shopping for a new pair of skis in a few years after I bring my skill level up to where I want it (I consider myself fairly new to skiing, although I embraced the sport whole heartedly this past season), I will definately give them a test run.

Good luck

Sky

I didn't demo K2 this past season. :< I don't know why....they just weren't on my watch list I guess.

I tried the Fischer RX9 and the Volkl Supersport Superspeed. Also tried the Atomic R-11.

I bought the Superspeed. The RX9 was a lot of fun and if I were younger and more aggresive, I may have opted for them.

The Volkl was almost as energenic, a mm or 2 wider at the waist, and was more comfortable (for me) as it didn't seem to need to be (can I make this any longer?) on edge constantly. Like I said....for me/to me.

My limited experience with last year's demos came after 4 years on Atomic Beta Ride 8.20 (which I bought after demo-ing...and they were a quantum leap over the POS's I was skiing).

So, I jumped up in ski level (about three levels) and dropped from a 190 to a 175. I ski almost completely ON PISTE. Was confounded (with the 190's) when confronted with bumped-up terrain or soft snow. Weilding those 190s just made it hard to work smaller turns smoothly.

Dropping down in length and jumping up in ski-level seems to have worked out really well (combined with my skiing improvements). I'm sure I have plenty of ski to grow with/into (spin for I may have bought more than I need....but I got SUCH a deal)

After fretting over the purchase decision (analysis paralysis) and finally making the purchase.....looking back I can honestly say it would not have mattered all that much which ski I went with (although w/o the fretting..would I know I'd feel this way?). I don't race...so I'm not looking to shave seconds here or there. Basically, after skiing on the 8.20 for 4 seasons and taking the occaisional lesson...considering the type of skier I am and expect to be for the next four years or so....I could have bought any uppper level ski and been happy.

The SkiMag reviews are of little value other than banding skis into groups (which may help you eliminate pure racers, pure slalom, pure powder, etc.).

If you are a K2 fan and are chasing a bargain-opportunity...you will surely be happy (at least not experience buyers' remorse).

If you can wait...definitely scratch that itch with a demo. Good luck finding either a resort with your brand(s) avaialable...and/or a multi-vendor demo day you can attend.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've heard that the Salomon Scream is a ski that is overpriced and underperforms...it dies quickly from what I've heard. I demoed a pair in 2002 and liked it, but it was a smooth/silky ski that was a bit too mellow for me.