• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ME AT - Wadleigh Stream to Whitehouse Landing - 8/31/03

askus3

Date of Hike: Sunday, August 31, 2003

Route: Appalachian Trail - Wadleigh Stream Lean-to to Whitehouse Landing.

Pictures: None at this time, since I was not on this section of the trip.

Total Distance: 8.7 miles (7.5 on AT)

Difficulty: Relatively easy terrain

Conditions: excellent

Weather: mostly sunny, 60s.

Participants: Dean Gletsos, Alex Lantino & Chris Connolly

Hike Statistics:
0.0 670 8:20 AM Wadleigh Stream Lean-to - Start of Hike
0.4 650 8:45 sand beach on Nahmakanta Lake
1.1 650 9:00 gravel beach on Nahmakanta Lake
2.6 650 9:35-9:55 south end of Nahmakanta Lake
5.8 600 11:30 Nahmakanta Stream Campsite on right
7.5 500 ----- junction with the old Mahar Tote Road
(leave AT - make left)
7.7 500 12:10 Pemadumcook Lake (.2 mile down tote road)
8.7 500 1:05 PM Whitehouse Landing on Pemadumcook Lake

Trip Report:

This was the third day of a four-day backpack as we continued to hike thru the northern lake section of the Hundred Mile Wilderness. I was not with the group. Notes were passed on by Dean & Chris which I used to compile this report. This day was an easy day with little elevation gain. As a result, my group took their time in breaking camp and then met up with Alex in 15 minutes and .4 mile who was ready waiting, camping at the beach on Lake Nahmakanta. The highlight of the hike was after leaving the AT and walking parallel to the shore of Pemadumcook Lake, Alex in the lead saw a bull moose. Unfortunately that mile of trail was diverted a bit inland along yucky, bog-like terrain. At the end, was the air-horn for the boat ride to Whitehouse Landing. A point was made to make sure you only blow it once! The last mile certainly was made up for in the glowing report of the facility at Whitehouse Landing. "It was FUN-tastic!!! A must for any hiker traversing the AT though this region." They canoed to the right side of the lake where they had a sublime view of Katahdin, Knife Edge and Doubletop. Chris & Dean also went swimming here.

When they arrived at Whitehouse Landing they met up with Stelios & Maria who came up Saturday, north on the AT from JoMary Lake Road. Today Stelios & Maria took an R&R day. So now the whole group is together minus me. I called Whitehouse Landing to pass word along that I would be meeting them tomorrow at JoMary Lake Road at 4 PM.

So what does Whitehouse Landing have to offer? At Whitehouse Landing you have three types of lodging. (1) You can set up your own tent on their grounds for $15 per person. (2) You can stay in their heated bunkhouse and get a mattress, pillow and pillowcase. You use your sleeping bag. The bunk house is one room accomodating eighteen people. Similar to AMC Hut conditions - snoring will take place and there is a lack of privacy. Bathrooms are outhouses separate from the lodging units, bunkhouses or cabins. There are sinks with cold water only. A bunk in the bunkhouse is $15 per person - same as tentsite. (3) A private room with a double bed (reservations recommended) is $45 for two. These rooms are in cabins with other rooms also with double beds or two single beds to a room. You then have shared kitchen privileges and a shared sitting/living/dining room. In the kitchen you have a sink (cold water only) stove, refrigerator, dishes, pots & pans, silverware. No bathroom - (outhouse like the tenters and bunkroom guests). In these rooms, you get sheets and blankets, pillows and pillowcases.

There is no electricity at this facility. Bring flashlights and if weather forecast is warm (bathing suit).

Food options: Lunch & Dinner: A la carte - prices off a menu. Simple foods offered - high prices. Pizza, hamburgers, ice cream (Ben & Jerry's), soda, Budweiser. The hamburgers were big and filling and satisfying.

Optional Breakfast: One meal served to all at 8 AM (all you can eat) $7.50. Cereal, pancakes & eggs, sausage, bacon, OJ, coffee, tea, milk.

Other amenities: Shower room with hot water! One rate $4. Plus $1 for a towel. Free unlimited canoe use. Free use of fishing rods. $75 for a 15 foot 15HP motor boat for the day - $40 half-day.