• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Emilio Ski Shop

abc

I saw this shop mentioned a couple times recently about their trips. I'm guessing quite some New Yorkers had taken their day trip to the Catskills and Vermont.

Has anyone take their fly away trips? They do quite a few trips to Canada and the price seems pretty decent. So I'd like to hear if anyone had good or not-to-good experience with their out of town trips

ta&idaho

I've only taken one of their bus trips, but I feel obliged to pass on my negative experience. The bus broke down on the way back, it took several extra hours to get back to the city, and I never heard a peep from them afterward. It was probably a fluke, but I've had better experiences with other operators.

nycskier

I took the Emilio bus tours a bunch of times and had nothing but positive experiences with them. They do a really good job and I always had a blast on the bus.

kcyanks1

I've done the bus trip to Hunter 2 or 3 times and have never had any problems. Unfortunately sometimes buses break down--happened once on the way back from a weekend trip I organized with law school to Sugarbush. I guess it would've been nice for them to at least say something, though.

abc

Thanks for sharing. They've got some away trips with prices boarderlining "too good to be true". That's what prompted me to ask. See what they might left out in order to be so cheap.

ta&idaho

Thought I'd update this post with this article from the Times' "Frugal Traveler" blog, which has a pretty good assessment of the NYC bus options:

http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/skiing-in-vermont-by-bus/

Unfortunately sometimes buses break down--happened once on the way back from a weekend trip I organized with law school to Sugarbush.

Might not want to let too many people around here know you went to law school. You may end up taking the blame for mediocre skiing conditions:

The further south you go, the lower the snowpack.

. . .

I wonder, (with no substantiation) if the proximity to urban liability digging scum makes a lawsuit more probable.
(emphasis added)

Don't worry--there happens to be at least one other evil big city lawyer that has your back ;-).

abc

Tahnks for the update and the link.

That's a sobering report. If it's just a bit disorganized on a local trip, the same disorganization can potentailly disastrous on a week long out-of-town trips (like, what if they're two BED instead of jsut two SEAT short?)..