• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Should ski patrollers be required to wear helmets???

Should ski patrollers be required to wear helmets..

• Yes

Votes: 43 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 42 49.4%

• Total voters

abc

I think helmets should be promoted everywhere they can be, and required of anyone in a position of responsibility where they are dealing with the safety of the customers of a mountain.
So we should start promoting helmets in the homes! Think about all the cabinet doors you can bang your head into. And falls in the bath tub would not require a trip in the ambulance!!! ;-)

And, don't forget your helmet while crossing the street. :(

ski63

Wow, some very interesting perspectives. Especially, the beginner observing the instructor in the helmet and being intimidated.

It seems that first lesson w/out a helmet is OK. The education provided in the lesson would encourgae a helmet once the beginner becomes a novice and can venture past the bunny slope. Maybe require a helmet if the beginner starts on a rope tow vs. todays "magic carpet". Any instructor past the bunny slope should always have a helmet. Set the example. As for patrollers, they are not ski area employees as far as I know.

The employer sets the rules and the employee either takes the job and follows the rules or they look for another job.

Personally, as I've said before, I can't imagine not skiing with a helmet. Warmer, safer etc.

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
you file taxes because you want to? The point of democracy is giving up some personal freedoms in exchange for the protection you get from the government. Sure you can debate whether or not a helmet law (and isn't that way off topic from the way this thread started?) is protecting you, but don't say that no one can make you do anyhting.

Wow, some very interesting perspectives. Especially, the beginner observing the instructor in the helmet and being intimidated.

It seems that first lesson w/out a helmet is OK. The education provided in the lesson would encourgae a helmet once the beginner becomes a novice and can venture past the bunny slope. Maybe require a helmet if the beginner starts on a rope tow vs. todays "magic carpet". Any instructor past the bunny slope should always have a helmet. Set the example. As for patrollers, they are not ski area employees as far as I know.

The employer sets the rules and the employee either takes the job and follows the rules or they look for another job.

Personally, as I've said before, I can't imagine not skiing with a helmet. Warmer, safer etc.

OMG!OMG!OMG!
another advocate of "Freedom From Choice"!
Stay safe while protecting your self from your self!
Encase your self in Bubble Wrap the ski fast and take chances, after all you will "Be Safe(helmet and all) Live the nanny nation way of Life, you will All be better off!;)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
OMG!OMG!OMG!
Encase your self in Bubble Wrap the ski fast and take chances, after all you will "Be Safe(helmet and all) Live the nanny nation way of Life, you will All be better off!;)

Rules to live by:
1. Buy the large bubble-sized wrap. Better yet, get a Michelin Man suit.
2. Buy bread and milk early and often.
3. Stay off the road, don't go to work if it snows.
4. When it snows, spend the day watching the tube weatherbabes tell us how wicked it is outside.
5. Read the tabloids to find the worst possible ski accident you can and remind your family it could happen to them.
6. Brag about how you are "roughin' it."

Then, when the sun comes up and the roads are clear, get into your 4x4, drive like hell, cut off grandma sending her into the ditch, avoid eye contact, drive 85mph in a school zone to pass the @$%#$ slow mailman and save 5 minutes, park illegally, all to get to the mall for that not-to-be-missed "never again" sale.
Hey, you killed five people along the way, but you got a great deal on the skis you'll use once.

Rules to live by:
1. Buy the large bubble-sized wrap. Better yet, get a Michelin Man suit.
2. Buy bread and milk early and often.
3. Stay off the road, don't go to work if it snows.
4. When it snows, spend the day watching the tube weatherbabes tell us how wicked it is outside.
5. Read the tabloids to find the worst possible ski accident you can and remind your family it could happen to them.
6. Brag about how you are "roughin' it."

Then, when the sun comes up and the roads are clear, get into your 4x4, drive like hell, cut off grandma sending her into the ditch, avoid eye contact, drive 85mph in a school zone to pass the @$%#$ slow mailman and save 5 minutes, park illegally, all to get to the mall for that not-to-be-missed "never again" sale.
Hey, you killed five people along the way, but you got a great deal on the skis you'll use once.

LMBFAO!!!!!...from now on I'm wearing my ski helmet..everywhere..and my next one is gonna be full face..you can never be too safe..that's why ski patrollers at Blue mountain are always having safety meetings in the ski patrol shack,,smells like a freakin Phish concert in there..lol

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
LMBFAO!!!!!...from now on I'm wearing my ski helmet..everywhere..and my next one is gonna be full face..you can never be too safe..that's why ski patrollers at Blue mountain are always having safety meetings in the ski patrol shack,,smells like a freakin Phish concert in there..lol

I wore my helmet in the shower this morning, so if I fell I'd be OK. But I had a helluva time washing my hair. Suggestions? Maybe I should shave it bald, but I might risk cutting myself....:blink:

Trekchick

True story:
One day when I was running the snowblower in my driveway, I couldn't find my hat, so I wore my helmet which still had the goggles attached from the day before. It was amazingly warm while clearing the driveway and the goggles helped the blow back from being so annoying.

I know that I probably looked like a dork running my snowblower with my helmet and goggles, but gee wiz, it worked.!!!

Beetlenut

OMG!OMG!OMG!

I don't think I've ever read a single post from you that made any sense!