• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Should ski patrollers be required to wear helmets???

Should ski patrollers be required to wear helmets..

• Yes

Votes: 43 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 42 49.4%

• Total voters

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Above higher speeds... they will just insure you leave a good looking corpse..

My brother suffered a sever concusion with a helmet on. W/O one he could well be a vegetable or dead. There is no reasonalble argument that helmets don't improve your chances of surviving a blow to the head. At this point, it's a choice, but don't try and say they don't do anything. At higher speed crashes they may well turn a sever laceration into a deflected shot to the head.
DMC, do you wear your seat belt? Crashes at higher speeds involoving head ons with tractor traillers will kill you anyway...so why bother to wear one at all?

dmc

My brother suffered a sever concusion with a helmet on. W/O one he could well be a vegetable or dead. There is no reasonalble argument that helmets don't improve your chances of surviving a blow to the head. At this point, it's a choice, but don't try and say they don't dop anything. At higher speed crashes they may well turn a sever laceration into a deflected shot to the head.
DMC, do you wear your seat belt? Crashes at higher speeds involoving head ons with tractor traillers will kill you anyway...so why bother to wear one at all?

Glad your bros OK...

Do you wear a facegaurd? Or kneebrace? Goggles all the time? Wristguards? neckbrace? Spine protector? Ass protector?

these have all shown to prevent injuries and even death in some cases...
Wearing a seatbelt is a law... I've worn a seatbelt all my life...

At higher speeds... Helmets keep head injuries from becoming the first cause of death..

Moe Ghoul

Glad your bros OK...

Do you wear a facegaurd? Or kneebrace? Goggles all the time? Wristguards? neckbrace? Spine protector? Ass protector?

these have all shown to prevent injuries and even death in some cases...
Wearing a seatbelt is a law... I've worn a seatbelt all my life...

At higher speeds... Helmets keep head injuries from becoming the first cause of death..

All injury risks, but none compares to brain and nervous system injuries. That's why this thread is about helmets and patrollers. It's spilled into a much broader issue of "Choice" and ass protection, and somehow mortality morphed into "morality". Maybe if we refocused it to the narrow issue at hand, we don't have to "go there", lol.

Beetlenut

..you don't get it...

thats ok..

Oh, I get it! But you took the discussion over the edge of subverting a mans freedom to choose. The original thread was about ski patrollers being required to wear one. Not taking away another freedom or imposing another government regulation on the public at large. You prove the point, by choosing to wear one because you know it has more to do with personal safety than it does about people sucking the soul out of skiing! Pandoras box indeed!

gmcunni

i voted no in the beginning and would do so again. to me it IS about choice.. but i'll admit, i feel a little differently now. if it was required the patroller still does have a choice, he/she could choose to patrol elsewhere (or not at all).

dmc

All injury risks, but none compares to brain and nervous system injuries. That's why this thread is about helmets and patrollers. It's spilled into a much broader issue of "Choice" and ass protection, and somehow mortality morphed into "morality". Maybe if we refocused it to the narrow issue at hand, we don't have to "go there", lol.

This is a multifacited debate...

But it comes down to choice unless you make a law...

Ass protection is important.. You break a coxix bone and your down for the count... Spine protection can prevent nervous system injuries...
A facegaurd on your helmet can protect from tree and rocks with could cause injury or death...
A kneebrace will keep you from hurting yourself in the woods and starving to death because nobody knows where you are...

dmc

i voted no in the beginning and would do so again. to me it IS about choice.. but i'll admit, i feel a little diffeetnly now. if it was required the patroller still does have a choice, he/she could choose to patrol elsewhere (or not at all).

right... it's like Hunter... You can't have a beard and work for Hunter... If you want to have a beard... You work for Windham... Their choice...

right... it's like Hunter... You can't have a beard and work for Hunter... If you want to have a beard... You work for Windham... Their choice...

Really no beards allowed at Hunter..next thing you know ski resorts will be drug testing employees...then all the liftees will lose their jobs..lol

I like SibHuskys response over on PASR...

I think everyone should be required to wear a helmet. Except for maybe Doug and Papasteeze......

Seriously, if someone my age, not a cliff jumper, been skiing 30-something years, towards the end of the season, in prime skiing shape, on a green trail just cruising, can slam into a tree, then ANYONE can. Now, maybe it's not so bad to be dead (at least for you), but being a vegetable is also a possibility. Who wants to be fed through a tube the rest of their life? Yeah, a helmet will only do so much and, yeah, "it'll never happen to you", well, guess again. I hadn't had a serious accident in 30 years of skiing, in fact, I went entire seasons without falling. I AM TELLING YOU, IF YOU ARE NOT WEARING A HELMET, YOU ARE AN ACTIVE MEMBER OF DARWINIAN SELECTION!

I didn't use to feel that way and skied without one for probably 20 years. And initially I felt they interfered a bit with my hearing. But THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A CLOSE ENCOUNTER WITH A TREE TO CHANGE YOUR MIND DAMN FAST. I think anyone who skis without a helmet should need to buy a "waiver" before they're allowed on the chair.

Moe Ghoul

Ass protection is important.. You break a coxix bone and your down for the count... Spine protection can prevent nervous system injuries...
A facegaurd on your helmet can protect from tree and rocks with could cause injury or death...
A kneebrace will keep you from hurting yourself in the woods and starving to death because nobody knows where you are...

Should ski patrollers be required to wear helmets? Excuse my stricter interpretation of the thread title while y'all "go there"............

JD

Website
hotmail.com
As I said before, head injuries account for the VAST majority of life threateing injuries, why not protect youself agains the most likely cause of fatal injury. Just becaue you decide to put the most useful piece of protective gear on, doesn't mean you automatically have to wrap yourself in bubble wrap. DMC, you wear a helmet on a bike?

dmc

I AM TELLING YOU, IF YOU ARE NOT WEARING A HELMET, YOU ARE AN ACTIVE MEMBER OF DARWINIAN SELECTION!

So they are going to genetically have babies that have hard heads and can withstand a hit to a tree?

Natural selection requires genetic changes to a species.

JD

Website
hotmail.com

I find your argument pretty funny. I think that's what you're going for.

dmc

As I said before, head injuries account for the VAST majority of life threateing injuries, why not protect youself agains the most likely cause of fatal injury. Just becaue you decide to put the most useful piece of protective gear on, doesn't mean you automatically have to wrap yourself in bubble wrap. DMC, you wear a helmet on a bike?

I don't believe those stats...

Of course I wear a helmet when i bike.. in fact I refuse to ride with someone not wearing a helmet. There's a big difference between falling on a mtb and a snowboard..

I've seen 1000 times more ugly incidents on a bike then on skis or boards... You fall off a mtb at speed.. Your probably going to hit your head and it's going to involve rocks.. not so on snowboard...

It's totally apples and oranges...

dmc

I find your argument pretty funny. I think that's what you're going for.

yeah... it's not meant to be totally serious.. It's like saying if we let gays marry then the next thing is people marrying their dogs...

It's my way of interjecting caution into the debate... I do wear helmets... not all the time but lot's of the time... But the times i don't - i don't need some snot nosed kid from PA telling me to put one on...

dmc

Should ski patrollers be required to wear helmets? Excuse my stricter interpretation of the thread title while y'all "go there"............

So... what you want is a YES of NO answer or a debate that suits you with no outside ideas...

Didn't we just go through 8 years of that crap? :)

SkiDork

I don't believe those stats...

Of course I wear a helmet when i bike.. in fact I refuse to ride with someone not wearing a helmet. There's a big difference between falling on a mtb and a snowboard..

I've seen 1000 times more ugly incidents on a bike then on skis or boards... You fall off a mtb at speed.. Your probably going to hit your head and it's going to involve rocks.. not so on snowboard...

It's totally apples and oranges...

I would disagree with that. I have personal experience.. Ice can be just as hard as a rock.