• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whale Wars

drjeff

Man, I'm surprised the Sea Shepard's bridge isn't in better sync! Going through an ice field is NOT the time to discuss, 'I prefer you to say 20 degrees port rather than saying a number...' Followed by other members giving directions to steer, too much!

The young lady who joined and was in the US Navy for six years, serving on surface war ships will probably have some key pointers for them as this series goes on.

Yup! That's one of the reasons I like to watch the series, not just for the cause they're so passionate about (saving the whales), but also for the way that they have it edited to make it seem like a majority of the crew is a big bunch of misfits (or maybe they didn't have to do too much editing for that part ;) )

tcharron

I think the max quota was 800+, depends on species, but they only got around 400 something.

That was the number set by the government. The actual treaty says, "Any whale killed during research can be sold". So they claim research needs to kill 800 whales, and 'Wala!'

dmc

Southpark is going to have a Whale Wars episode tonight...
Should be good...
10852_162260982004_6708787004_2892596_1751443_n.jpg

dmc

Great Southpark.. Ended up being blocked by the Dangerous Catch boat... Captain killed with a harpoon.. Japanese hated whales because they thought they were responsible for Hiroshima..

ccskier

I saw the idiot 1st mate in a restaurant last week, the older dude w/ glasses. Held back from telling him that he should notbe on boat, he always messed stuff up.

Edd

I have sympathy for the cause but Paul Watson is a poor leader. He's clearly passionate and I can admire that but he's so incompetent I see a mutiny in his future if things continue to escalate.

dmc

I have sympathy for the cause but Paul Watson is a poor leader. He's clearly passionate and I can admire that but he's so incompetent I see a mutiny in his future if things continue to escalate.

If everything went well... Then there'd be no controversy.. And it would get boring..

Just like th.... oooops.... nevermind... I like this thread...

wa-loaf

What kind of boat were the protesters in? They're looking well fudned these days.

The Ady Gil is a 78-foot trimaran made of carbon fiber and Kevlar in a design meant to pierce waves. It was built to challenge the record for the quickest circumnavigation of the globe and can travel faster than 46 mph.

Sea Shepherd unveiled the Ady Gil last October saying a California millionaire with the same name had donated most of the money for it. At the time, the group said the boat would be used to intercept and physically block Japanese harpoon vessels.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34722032/ns/world_news-world_environment/

ctenidae

From this view, it looks like theJapanese ship turned towards the Ady Gil to pass very close by, but the Ady Gil then moved forward (starting at about 0:08 ) into the path.

Last edited:

Edd

Wow, this show has gotten so insane. Anyone still watching? It's hard to believe what goes on out there. It seems only a matter of time before firearms are used.

Being a member of that crew sure would make your resume look interesting.