• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

hiking conn. AT

mikec1289

I AM GOING TO ATTEMPT TO HIKE THE CONNECTICUT PART OF THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL ALONE IN MID AUGUST. THIS IS MY 1ST BIG HIKE. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR ME ON THIS TRAIL? I WOULD APPRECIATE ALL THE ADVICE I CAN GET...GOOD AND BAD

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
mikec1289 said:
WHAT IS THE DIFFERANCE?

THE DIFFERANCE IS 64 FEET. THE HIGHEST POINT IN CONNECTICUT IS ON THE SIDE OF A MOUNTAIN WHO'S PEAK IS IN MASSACHUSETTES. THE STATE BUILT A STONE TOWER ON BEAR MOUNTAIN, WHICH IS LOWER, BUT IS THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN COMPLETELY CONTAINED WITHIN THE STATE. THE ACTUAL HIGHEST POINT IS MARKED WITH A TINY GREEN PEG THAT YOU WOULD MISS IF YOU WEREN'T LOOKING FOR IT. I GUESS THE STATE HAS MOUNTAIN ENVY.

THANKFULLY, PEOPLE HAVE BUILT A LARGE CAIRN NEXT TO THE PEG SO THE HIGHEST POINT IN CT IS MARKED BETTER.

Mike P.

Difference is 64 feet. Bear Mountain is highest Mountain summit in CT. Mt. Frissell a mile or so away as the crow flies (or maybe longer as you hike on a trail over Round Mt.& then to Frissell) is partly in CT & NY probably too but the summit is in MA at 2,453. A Marker is just off the trail from the Tri-State Marker (where CT/NY & MA meet) where the highest point of Frissell in CT is, 2,380 feet. (give or take two feet) Bear Mt. is on the AT & is 2,316. Feet.

We do have Bear & it is believed also lynx or bobcats so you want to hang any food. Terrain is not too hard but there are some good up & downs as you get closer to MA.

Rands View, very worthwhile, same as going to the top of Lion's Head. Trail to Bald near Lion's Head is now closed too bad, that was nice. If you have time either head to CT highpoint & a little beyond to Mt. Brace (in NY) which may have best view in entire area or head a little North of CT/ MA Border to Mt. Race, the other peak that challenges Brace for best viewpoint in the South Taconic Region. Race also has a couple of falls, so does Brace but you have to walk farther to see them & they are more likely to be at a meager flow than the ones on Race.

bvibert

Staff member
I've not been to Brace, but I must agree with Mike about the views on Race. Its my favorite local hike. Race is the next mountain on the AT after you pass into MA.

una_dogger

Time to hike the CT AT

Average is three to four days. Its pretty easy to moderate the whole way through. Depends on your fitness level, though.

You could add the Mowhawk Loop to it to add a couple more days if you want more time out.

Bear Mnt, is that a Mnt? Felt like more of a bump to me! (ducking for cover!)

Pretty easy walking the whole way through CT, great choice if this is your first backpacking trip, its not remote by any stretch of the imagination.

Have fun!

Sabrina

mikec1289

sabrina thanks for the great feedback. have you ever hiked this section?and is water easy to get to?

una_dogger

Conn AT

I've done it as day hikes in sections. Thruhikers can cover CT in two days!

One of my favorite local hikes is from Bull's Bridge southbound to my house in NY, its about 20 miles give or take and takes me a whole day with light pack. Its a great walk and I usually stop at Tony's deli on Rt 22 (1/2 mile south of AT/RT 22 crossing) for dinner.

Water is in good supply most of the year in NY and CT; I carry a filter and two liters and just keep filling them.

Be aware of deer ticks and Lyme disease. There is a confirmed cougar at the NY/CT border but there have been no problems.

This would be an AWESOME fall foliage trip!

Happy Hiking!

una_dogger

This goes here!

I'm not sure where you are planning to leave your car. The lot at the NY CT border has plenty of room but its kindof secluded. If you are concerned about your car, you may consider parking it at the Maintainer's at Nuclear Lake (old Rt 55 lot) in NY south of the CT border by about 17 miles. Its a great walk and would add a day. :cry:

bvibert

Staff member
Re: Time to hike the CT AT

una_dogger said:

Watch it! Thats the best we have! :angry:

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
Re: Time to hike the CT AT

bvibert said:
una_dogger said:

Watch it! Thats the best we have! :angry:

Actually, the best you have is the portion of Frissel contained within Connecticut..

Just my opinion. Bear seems overcrowded & overbuilt. I didn't see another soul the day I did Frissel.

una_dogger

hee hee

Sorry, Bvibert! I just couldn't let that one slip by!
This pass entitles you to one free crack at NY at my expense!

:oops:

Sabrina

mikec1289

sabrina, mountain lion? in ct? i am doing this hike alone. do you recommend this?

una_dogger

cougar

Yup! You'll be fine!

The lion has been spotted recently in Dover NY near the Ten Mile River. The NYSDEC has confirmed its there and it was released by them in an attempt to get a handle on the deer population.

If I saw it I would consider myself extremely lucky; as it would most likely be a fleeting view of its retreat!

Sorry I didn't mean to scare ya!

mikec1289

sabrina, are the trails easy to follow? i heard the AT is. is there a chance of getting lost? sorry for all the questions.

bvibert

Staff member
Re: hee hee

una_dogger said:
Sorry, Bvibert! I just couldn't let that one slip by!
This pass entitles you to one free crack at NY at my expense!

Its ok, I've already taken plenty of cracks at NY in the skiing forum, all in good fun of course!