• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

hiking conn. AT

bvibert

Staff member
Re: Time to hike the CT AT

pizza said:
bvibert said:
una_dogger said:
Bear Mnt, is that a Mnt? Felt like more of a bump to me! (ducking for cover!)

Watch it! Thats the best we have! :angry:

Actually, the best you have is the portion of Frissel contained within Connecticut..

Just my opinion. Bear seems overcrowded & overbuilt. I didn't see another soul the day I did Frissel.

Actually, what I meant was its the best mountain we have. I haven't been to the high point on Frissel in a while, but I actually really like Bear, even with all the crowds.

una_dogger

are the trails easy to follow

Yes, the AT is very easy to follow, especially right now with all the thruhikers coming through NY/CT/Mass!

You will have a great time!

Is this your first big hiking trip??

You've found a great place to get lots of help and suggestions, hikers LOVE to talk about hiking!...and helping someone plan a trip...that's just BONUS!!!!

:D
Sabrina

mikec1289

sabrina, this is my 1st hiking trip. the only other one i did was a 6 miler in st. kitts. i'm goin for it. i feel its something i have to do.

una_dogger

first trip

Great for you, MikeC!

GO FOR IT! :beer:

What part of the country are you from??

When do you plan to hike it?

I copy getting da book and mapset, if you haven't already :wink:

mikec1289

pizza. thanks. i went ahead and ordered that book.

sabrina, i live in milford ct. right now i plan on going august 18th or sept 1st, and hoping i can do this in 4 full days.

cbcbd

Hey mikec,
Welcome! :)
I'm from Stamford and used to live in Trumbull. The CT AT section was also my first big backpacking hike a while ago. I wasn't in too good of shape and weighed probably 40lbs more than I do now and did the 50 miles in 4 days.

I enjoy the CT section a lot since it's the closest part of the AT to me and I've done lots of hiking around it... it feels like home, although now home is becoming less challenging :D

The trail is very well marked - the white blazes are hard to lose.
The terrain is not too hard and there aren't too many rocks (like NH) or roots to trip on(like MA).

My advice would be to go easy on the first day. It's very easy to get carried away and excited on a first backpacking day, and if you aren't ready for it you'll have used all your energy that day and not have any for the next. When I did the CT section I slept in the Ten Mile River shelter, so my first day was nothing. But the next shelter after that one is another 4 miles, so it would have jumped up the day's mileage considerably.

There's really nothing bad I have to say about the CT section... except for the fact that a few years back they had to re-route part of it, from Bulls Bridge to around Kent, because of a fire - that section was beautiful :(

There should be plenty of water on the trail. You follow the Housatonic for a lot of it and every campsite has access to water somewhere.

Before crossing rt4 you'll pass by the Spring Hill Campsite - I recommend stopping if not just for a break. It has a well pump for water, picnic table, swing chair, deck... it can be a busy site during weekend days, but it's a very nice open site.

There is another very nice campsite... I can't remember the name of it now but it should be about 10-15miles South from the MA border... it's about .5-1miles away from the trail and you have to hike downhill to get there. But it's really beautiful because the access trail follows next to these gorgeous falls and when you get there it's a pretty secluded shady site next to the brook.

I agree with the comments already said about Race in MA. Another 3-4 miles into MA from the CT border and you should be out on the edge of the Race and it's wall. It's got some great views of the yonder. Also, the hike through Sages Ravine is very nice as you follow the Sages Brook down.

If you have the time, hit a stairmaster for the week before with your backpack - keep adding more and more weight to it. That will at least help you a bit on the uphills.

So, let us know if you have any other questions. I think the CT section is a good starter hike.

Doug

mikec1289

doug, thanks for the great feedback, it will come in handy. it looks like i picked the right trail for being a 1st timer.

Mike P.

Cougar? That sounds hard to believe, the smaller cats, Bobcat or Lynx I know have been confirmed. IMO By now a Mountain Lion/Cougar would have found a two legged animal to try & prey on & it would have made regular news channels.

We saw only a couple of Thru-Hikers last Tuesday after work. To avoid people now thru mid-November, hit the most popular places mid-week or real early or late in the day. With Bear's proximity to the road & to campsite/shelters, there is no reason why you would need to be there between 11 & 4 on a Saturday.

jstarks188

at hiking in ct

howdy,
i've been hiking the AT in conn. on weekends for about 3 years now,this is the best hiking around !
the trail is challenging but not tough, bear mountain into sages ravine and st. johns ledge are kinda interesting.
i've found some sections i love and a few i figure once is enough :D .....
there isn't a whole lot of water sources
so get it when you can
happy trails
jack