• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

18 more Days!!!!....

una_dogger

To NOVA SCOTIA!

I'm so happy! Yay! I'm doing my little happy dance!

I got my backcountry sites reserved today for the trip to Cape Chignecto Provincial Park....did I mention how EXCITED I am!!!

Only 18 days away!!!

Happy rant over...back to scheduled programming! :eek:

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I hope you have good weather! My recollection of NS is that the whole place feels sub-alpine, like you're about to pop out above treeline. I expect plenty of pictures and a length trip report when you get back!

(as for me, I'm counting 21 days until I head to the Adirondacks, and a week later take the bike to the beach and lounge around Martha's Vineyard ... woot!)

una_dogger

Derailing my own thread!

Mike, a week in the Daks! Sublime!

I can't wait to get back up there, toying with this weekend; last minute, I KNOW!

What trails are you planning on hiking in the Daks?
Backpacking, Lojing, or tenting at Heart Lake??? (all fine options!)

I'm so psyched about NS! Now I just need to plan the up and back. Since its a road trip, I may just plan a stop in New Brunswick to do a day hike somewhere on the International Appalachian Trail. And I really, really want to pencil in the Pemi Loop on the way back.

Oh, yeah, and eating lots of LOBSTAH!

:beer: and drinking beer, of course!

Night, all!

Happy hiking dreams....zzzzz.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
una_dogger said:
To NOVA SCOTIA!

I'm so happy! Yay! I'm doing my little happy dance!

I got my backcountry sites reserved today for the trip to Cape Chignecto Provincial Park....did I mention how EXCITED I am!!!

Only 18 days away!!!

Happy rant over...back to scheduled programming! :eek:
My wife's family came from Halifax, NS. Such a nice city on the water. I only went there once for a funeral, but I intend on going back, possibly to do some hiking. Please post pics when you return.

Have fun!
Smitty

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Sabrina,
It's not a whole week - I'm driving up Thursday and coming back Sunday. I and about 30 other hikers will be camping in a friend's enormous yard in Elizabethtown, with a great fire pit, everyone bringing microbrews from their locales, hiking, tons of food, and of course Sunday breakfast out at the Noonmark!

The hikes are going to be a 111 (115) finish for Audrey & Pat on Marshall, and the other day I can't say yet (bit of a surprise).

Same thing with the Vineyard - it's only Thursday to Sunday, so once again I don't think I'll have time to tackle the 300-footer list. The biking and beaches and kayaking really win out, anyway. :)

Make sure to eat those big giant bugs withOUT a bib!

una_dogger

weekends

Your long weekends sound great! What a cool gathering! What a way for the folks finishing thier peaks to remember them; sort of a grand finale!

I just realized that the summer weekends are drawing to a close and I am kicking myself for not getting more organized this weekend! I really wanted to do a long walk out to Duck Hole in the Adks and loop back around on a section of the Northville Lake Placid Trail, no major peaks but a beautiful backwoods walk! May have to wait until september now!

So many trails, so few weekends!
Sigh...

eat those big giant bugs

Oh man! Did ya have to call 'em bugs???
:roll:

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Re: weekends

una_dogger said:
I really wanted to do a long walk out to Duck Hole in the Adks and loop back around on a section of the Northville Lake Placid Trail

Oooooh, pretty! No problem with that waiting until September, though ... that'll be foliage season and it will only be more spectacular!

So many trails, so few weekends!

I agree. Independent wealth would be a fine thing to have, or at least enough to swap to 5-day weekends and 2-day work weeks. Hopefully my knees will last all the way to retirement in 35-40 years!

Oh man! Did ya have to call 'em bugs???

Heh-heh. This is when I take the body and plop it upright in the middle of my plate, antennae into the air. :lol:

Mike P.

Enjoy the ADk's folks, hard to believe I was just there last week. Should have paced myself on Saturday so I felt like hiking on Saturday although it was good to be home ealy on Sunday for a change.

After 63 miles of day hikes in TN, CT & NY & other exercising, this weeks 19 miles walking/treadmill & 24.5 miles biking the rail trail has been almost an off-week.

una_dogger

summer fitness

hey mike p
i hear ya! i've been basically spending two to three hours every night after work mountain biking and trailrunning and hiking. usually i run three to five miles then i feel so great, i jump on the bike for an hour or more! i get home at 4pm so i have five hours before total darkness sets in! don't know how i'm going to keep this up come winter and short days.
sabrina