• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do snowboarders wreck moguls?

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
i would thing for snowboarders its really about stance. i ride higher angles than the average boarder because i come from an racing background. it squares your shoulders to the board so you are more in line with the fall line. the little jibhonks ride either 0 degrees or duck which puts you at 90 with the fall line. im sure if i wanted to i could rip down the bump all day but i just hit the sections that are on my way to other places. also bumps can be fun on a board because the way i see it its a field of gap jumps.

Bumpsis

:-o

Enjoy! :flame:

This topic really should not be controversial. The fact of the matter is that snowboarders by the very nature of their riding implement push the snow around in a different way than skiers, so naturally, they do wreck the mogul lines for skiers, given enough snowboarding traffic. Moguls riden by boarders get more spaced out, with enlarged scrape area in between. The uphill faces of the moguls get sort of longer.
The overall effect is that the mogul lines get less enjoyable to ski through.

Luckily, I really don't see too many boarders venture into mogul fields, so with a few exceptions, it's not really a problem.

On a tangent, I'd say that skiers with short skis also can mess up a bump field, making it more difficult for those skiing on longer sticks to get through without catching their tails. I ski on a 185cm ski and that almost feels too long to thread through some of the stuff out there.

Lastly, the less than proficient skiers can make a mess of a potentially good mogul field by making their turns more perpendicular to the fall line. This creates long sideway mogules that have no rythm, especially in places that have a double fall line. Actually, this is similar to what boarders create.

One of my favorite bump run at Sugarloaf, Bubblecuffer has a double fall line section that just about always forms weird bumps, probably due to groms that have the need to prove themselves, making haphazard turns here and there.

mlctvt

I was on the lift at Mount Snow last year and there was a boarder slide slipping down the trail almost leveling the moguls or at least moving the snow around. A woman I was on the lift with says to her boyfriend / husband "See boarders actually help the trial conditions, it's like he's a grooming machine leveling all those nasty bumps"
I just laughed, but I do think most skiers would agree with her.

rueler

In the end, everyone going through a mogul field is altering it...Whether it's a "good form" of altering comes down to skill level....the more skilled skiers and boarders won't do much damage to the bump lines...I've seen moguls hammered by less skilled skiers and boarders alike...just a fact of being on the hill.

I like to look at the positive...usually they're scraping all the soft stuff on top of the bumps into the troughs and making them soft again :grin:

basemoto

i feel that people that actually know how to snowboard don't do any real harm. The people that end up going where they shouldn't be end up plowing the whole way down and push all the snow away. The same goes for skiers as well but boarders push a lot more snow than skiers.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The way I see it, if they bought a pass, I don't care what they're riding or their ability; they have equal rights to anyone else being in the bumps, so I don't get too frustrated by it. The only thing I get frustrated by is someone not paying attention to who's coming down a line above them. The saying is that the downhill skier has the right of way....this is only partially true in moguls.

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
i feel that people that actually know how to snowboard don't do any real harm. The people that end up going where they shouldn't be end up plowing the whole way down and push all the snow away. The same goes for skiers as well but boarders push a lot more snow than skiers.

Absolutely! Hey, the bad ones that hit the mogul runs under lifts sure do provide a lot of entertainment on a slow lift (7) ride! And so do the skiers. I saw a kid in (and out of) rental equipment stuck for two lift rides on upper Yahoo actually come out of his BOOT while sliding head first on Yahoo a few days ago. Lucky for him, his head missed the trees.

The way I see it, if they bought a pass, I don't care what they're riding or their ability; they have equal rights to anyone else being in the bumps, so I don't get too frustrated by it....

Excellent point.

ZOG

those bone headed knuckle draggers can't even go through bumps.

mondeo

In the end, everyone going through a mogul field is altering it...Whether it's a "good form" of altering comes down to skill level....the more skilled skiers and boarders won't do much damage to the bump lines...I've seen moguls hammered by less skilled skiers and boarders alike...just a fact of being on the hill.
+1. It's the skidding and carving through bumps that kills them. The other issue is when you get people that are a lot better than you skiing them a bunch, the lines can get really straight relative to your skill level and speed control becomes tough.
The way I see it, if they bought a pass, I don't care what they're riding or their ability; they have equal rights to anyone else being in the bumps, so I don't get too frustrated by it. The only thing I get frustrated by is someone not paying attention to who's coming down a line above them. The saying is that the downhill skier has the right of way....this is only partially true in moguls.
I disagree. People need to be aware of their skill level, and pick appropriate runs, no matter what type. Their buying a pass doesn't give them the right to negatively impact my experience.