• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do snowboarders wreck moguls?

ta&idaho

This is an old thread, but I've had this hypothesis brewing for some time: the quality of a mountain is inversely related to the proportion of snowboarders and directly related to the proportion of telemark skiers. Two recent destinations with few snowboarders and abundant freeheelers--Plattekill in New York and Brundage Mountain back home in Idaho--reminded me of this idea...

ComeBackMudPuddles

yes, boarders wreck moguls, not that many of them venture into mogul fields.

snowboarders should stick to wide open powder bowls out west. that's pretty much the only environment they don't totally F up for skiers.

there. i said it. it's what we're all thinking, anyway.

:daffy:

icedtea

i try to hold a zipper line for as long as possible. i think it is harder for us to control speed when going through the zipper line, but it's fun. good training IMO.

BigJay

Yes, as a snowboarder i do wreck the s*** out of the moguls... and it's a blast! Riding through the soft snow piles, jumping from one another and smashing right on top of it is pretty intense. Why ride the ice in between them when you can smash them open and immerge yourself with the white splashing all over! Hmmmmmm soft moguls rule!

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
+1. It's the skidding and carving through bumps that kills them. The other issue is when you get people that are a lot better than you skiing them a bunch, the lines can get really straight relative to your skill level and speed control becomes tough.

I disagree. People need to be aware of their skill level, and pick appropriate runs, no matter what type. Their buying a pass doesn't give them the right to negatively impact my experience.

This last part is the most pompous thing i've read in some time. We were all beginners once and have all gone on the wrong trail. Also you don't get better if you don't push yourself. If you are crushing a bump line and someone comes into your line out of nowhere you have no choice- improvise overcome adapt- it will only make you a better skier.
Go spend a day or two at MRG and you will see the difference boarders make.

Greg

Staff member
The way I see it, if they bought a pass, I don't care what they're riding or their ability; they have equal rights to anyone else being in the bumps, so I don't get too frustrated by it. The only thing I get frustrated by is someone not paying attention to who's coming down a line above them. The saying is that the downhill skier has the right of way....this is only partially true in moguls.

I disagree. People need to be aware of their skill level, and pick appropriate runs, no matter what type. Their buying a pass doesn't give them the right to negatively impact my experience.

This last part is the most pompous thing i've read in some time. We were all beginners once and have all gone on the wrong trail. Also you don't get better if you don't push yourself. If you are crushing a bump line and someone comes into your line out of nowhere you have no choice- improvise overcome adapt- it will only make you a better skier.

Gotta agree with thorski and DHS on this one. I spent many a days poaching others' lines as I gaped my way down bump runs. I had as much right to be there as the rippers. Now that I can ski bumps with some semblance of skill, it is a bit annoying waiting for the carnage to clear, but it is what it is. At Sundown, for example, if those bumps only got skied by us, they wouldn't be there for very long.

jack97

Yes, as a snowboarder i do wreck the s*** out of the moguls... and it's a blast! Riding through the soft snow piles, jumping from one another and smashing right on top of it is pretty intense. Why ride the ice in between them when you can smash them open and immerge yourself with the white splashing all over! Hmmmmmm soft moguls rule!

I see skiers skiing top to top, basically turning on the tops b/c its softer up there. Yet another way of ruining the moguls. :(

tjf67

I see skiers skiing top to top, basically turning on the tops b/c its softer up there. Yet another way of ruining the moguls. :(

GEEZ from my stand point when I see womeone rippoing down taking the tops off I think WOW that f'er can rip. I thought the Ice troughs were for the gapers who could not get on top. See how much I know about skiing bumps.
As for wrecking bumps. I take my fatties in and make a double lane highway right down the middle. Is that wrecking bumps or making them better?

jack97

GEEZ from my stand point when I see womeone rippoing down taking the tops off I think WOW that f'er can rip. I thought the Ice troughs were for the gapers who could not get on top. See how much I know about skiing bumps.
As for wrecking bumps. I take my fatties in and make a double lane highway right down the middle. Is that wrecking bumps or making them better?

going to the actual top, that's where you can loose some speed. But its hard to keep that line.... that's why it's a bail out. I've down that several times for that reason, other times I just to stop to rest.

Making a double lane highway down the middle without turns blows. Last time i was at crotched, the trail under the lift line had some soft snow, myself and another were making making moguls for most of the morning, then a large crowd of noobs shows up and trashed everything, going straight down or pushing the bumps further apart.

mondeo

Go spend a day or two at MRG and you will see the difference boarders make.
It's one thing to wander on to the wrong trail. It's another to be someone who isn't comfortable on gentle cruisers, but ski Outer Limits just to say you've skied it. That's the main thrust of my ire, because I see it all the time

I'm fine with people pushing themselves, with people trying out the easier mogul runs, and understanding of people who mistakenly get in over their heads. Testing your limits and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is good. Trying to keep up with Bode Miller or Dale Begg-Smith (when he has a functioning ACL) your second time on skis is bad. You don't wind up on O.L. by mistake. It's one of the most out of the way trails at Killington, unless you ride up the Bear quad and get the chance to take it all in during the ride up. And jumping from greens to double blacks doesn't make you a better skier, it's just frustrating. Skiing way out of your league falls into the same category to me as hanging out on a jump's landing or skipping the line of people to hit a feature in the terrain park. You may be in your right, and it may improve your experience, but it's inconsiderate to others around you.

My big issue is with people who are with their friends/family, and take with their friends down a trail that they can't ski just because they want to. You don't learn by side slipping down a bump run. It's not skiing. If you ski with people that aren't at your level, you should be accepting that you're just there to hang out or help them out.

Greg

Staff member
It's one thing to wander on to the wrong trail. It's another to be someone who isn't comfortable on gentle cruisers, but ski Outer Limits just to say you've skied it. That's the main thrust of my ire, because I see it all the time

I'm fine with people pushing themselves, with people trying out the easier mogul runs, and understanding of people who mistakenly get in over their heads. Testing your limits and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is good. Trying to keep up with Bode Miller or Dale Begg-Smith (when he has a functioning ACL) your second time on skis is bad. You don't wind up on O.L. by mistake. It's one of the most out of the way trails at Killington, unless you ride up the Bear quad and get the chance to take it all in during the ride up. And jumping from greens to double blacks doesn't make you a better skier, it's just frustrating. Skiing way out of your league falls into the same category to me as hanging out on a jump's landing or skipping the line of people to hit a feature in the terrain park. You may be in your right, and it may improve your experience, but it's inconsiderate to others around you.

My big issue is with people who are with their friends/family, and take with their friends down a trail that they can't ski just because they want to. You don't learn by side slipping down a bump run. It's not skiing. If you ski with people that aren't at your level, you should be accepting that you're just there to hang out or help them out.

:lol:

You would have hated me in the mid 90's. I used to jump into Outer Limits willy-nilly all the time. :lol: But I stand by my opinion that I had the right to be there.

Trekchick

While I was at MaryJane, which as most of you know is highly revered for their moguls and hosts many mogul clinics........I noticed, for the very first time, that there are some snowboarders who can really rip in the moguls.
Lets not generalize too much. There are some skiers and some snowboarders who wreck moguls, but there are also some who can really rip!

Why all the hate, man!

BigJay

Well, up here, it's mostly boarders and teles... So don't expect cup cake-type moguls... My friends use to coach moguls... they use to "make" moguls with the snowcat... and then scrape it down on skis and with shovels... Of course, when you have nothing but ice to deal with... might as well have nicely shape moguls... but again, we bury them quite often with snow... and see them pop back up if we get 2 weeks without major snow... A bit different...

And by the way... why focus on the ice in between them... The soft stuff is all we crave for!
:daffy::spread::daffy:

gmcunni

It's one thing to wander on to the wrong trail. It's another to be someone who isn't comfortable on gentle cruisers, but ski Outer Limits just to say you've skied it. That's the main thrust of my ire, because I see it all the time.

i did that and then promptly went into the lodge and purhcased the "i skied Outer Limits" t-shirt. i think that was the last time i skied OL :smile:

Greg

Staff member
yeah we secretly enlist boaders to crush teh bastids so we got MORE trail to rip !! :D

I know you're being tongue-in-cheek here, but there is already an abundance of terrain for the groomer-only crowd. Bump skiers are the ones that get shafted continuously.

jack97

Well, up here, it's mostly boarders and teles... So don't expect cup cake-type moguls... My friends use to coach moguls... they use to "make" moguls with the snowcat... and then scrape it down on skis and with shovels... Of course, when you have nothing but ice to deal with... might as well have nicely shape moguls... but again, we bury them quite often with snow... and see them pop back up if we get 2 weeks without major snow... A bit different...

And by the way... why focus on the ice in between them... The soft stuff is all we crave for!
:daffy::spread::daffy:

yeah, various degrees of destruction. Turning on the top enuf times will flatten them. Slipping them because the troughs are icy is another matter.

SkiDork

While I was at MaryJane, which as most of you know is highly revered for their moguls and hosts many mogul clinics........I noticed, for the very first time, that there are some snowboarders who can really rip in the moguls.
Lets not generalize too much. There are some skiers and some snowboarders who wreck moguls, but there are also some who can really rip!

Why all the hate, man!

They used to have a snowboard bump comp on OL about 10 years ago. You're right - some of the guys in that comp were awesome