• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Willey Range & Zealand Valley - Oct 11-12, 2003

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Date(s) Hiked:
Oct 11-12, 2003

Trails(s) Hiked:
Avalon, A-Z, Willey Range, Mt. Tom Spur, and the bit of Zealand & the Twinway to the Hut

Total Distance:
15.2 miles

Difficulty:
Varies from a brutally steep mile to a leisurely stroll.

Conditions:
Slippery leaves everywhere, mud on the lower A-Z, otherwise fine.

Special Required Equipment:
Poles highly recommended for descent.

Trip Report:
It was a spectacular weekend to be up north! After struggling to find a parking space in Crawford Notch on Saturday morning, I started up the Avalon Trail under clear blue skies and cool temperatures. The trail was in fine shape, though I did miss a turn (which, based on the "trail" that continues then cuts back, many people have done).

The view off of Avalon was terrific, what a restful place to pause and chat, at least until a group arrived. Then it was ever-upward to Mt Field, with its one viewpoint spectacular in the contrast of blue sky and red/yellow/brown foliage. Over to Willey and back was a letdown from a view perspective, but still a beautiful walk in the woods on a great day.

Back to Field, I headed down towards the A-Z trail and slogged it all the way to Zealand Hut without water. Oopsie.

An enormous family was having their 10th annual get-together, occupying pretty much the entire Hut except for myself and an AMC volunteer. They were fantastic, fun people whom I thank for making me feel right at home in their midst.

The just-past-full moon rose bright and big; the peaks glowed over the dark valley all night.

Sunday morning again dawned clear & cool, blue skies and sun. I went back up the A-Z trail from the Hut, and this time could enjoy it. Although a fairly long way, with a few deep, muddy spots, it's a beautiful walk in the woods, and with the colorful leaves on the trees and ground was a joy to hike along.

Up on Mt Tom the winds were strong. The viewpoint towards the Presies was getting buffeted with gusts, so I retreated to the true summit and enjoyed the views towards the Twins and across the Pemi. A few high clouds were coming in. Anyone know where the path heading off NNW goes to?

Then it was all the way back down the A-Z towards Crawford Notch. Saw a lot of folks on the trail, some unprepared, some not. The sunlight off the golden birch leaves lit the mix of yellows and reds fallen on the trail.

As I got into my car, I noticed the clouds had gotten thicker, and drove into cold rain on the way home. Talk about timing!

MtnMagic

Michael, great trip and report. The path NNW you are referring to is a herd (deer) path. I too noticed this and started to hike it before returning to the correct trail.It was getting way too late in the day. I'm hoping it just might meet up with the x-c trail 700' lower, but do not know.
I plan to explore it next summer and will share the find. (Unless it is a gold mine!)

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Makes sense - if it leads over to that 3,482' crest from there you can get down to the top of the trail.

And it looks like that trail is a branch of the old road that the A-Z trail twice crosses? Where is that even documented? I've only seen it in my Topo USA software and on the USGS maps.

TopoZone