• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$10 Parking at Gore

dmc

Sounds like a good deal for close parking...

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
...and way to reward us with serious cash into passes this year who basically have to pay it or diminish the value of our investment. I make 3 trips from the car because I have a FAMILY. I push the family to arrive early so that is less a burden on me.

Let's see...do we want...long term customers, season passholders, with families?

If not ...let's tax em.

It's not fair to spring it after I've bought $1800 in passes for the family. I'm sure I'm not alone.

I've asked for a schedule so I could avoid those pay days or at least choose to ski them. I assume you won't have to pay on a dead Tuesday in March. Marketing promised significant advance notice and specifics.

That's what passholders deserve, at the least.

EDIT: The first tracks idea is a GREAT one. But they are going to charge on the way out. Possibly to encourage people to stay late at the bar(?). I would if I didn't have a little one. Make the guy taking money stay out all night or miss my money, By the way I'm paying in pennies. 20 rolls.

dmc

There's the color I was looking for...

Probably just another way to get some cash during these tough financial times...

BeanoNYC

EDIT: But they are going to charge on the way out.

They're going to run into a lot of problems doing that. Forget about the people that will try to leave saying they don't have the cash on them. Collecting all that cash in the dark, someone's going to wait until there's one car left in the lot and hit that attendant up.

Moe Ghoul

That's total BS....much like a hospital charging for parking. What's next? A quarter per sheet of TP in the toilet? Urinal flush water by the pint? Lease space in the lift lines? Charge wide bodies for taking up too much room on the lift chair? It'd be nice to see folks boycott this crap and send a message to the mountains that are doing this. Add a freaking nickel to the cost of a fountain soda for cris'sakes, stop this class warfare bullshit.

Phildozer

That's total BS....much like a hospital charging for parking. What's next? A quarter per sheet of TP in the toilet? Urinal flush water by the pint? Lease space in the lift lines? Charge wide bodies for taking up too much room on the lift chair? It'd be nice to see folks boycott this crap and send a message to the mountains that are doing this. Add a freaking nickel to the cost of a fountain soda for cris'sakes, stop this class warfare bullshit.

Hospitals do charge for parking.

Why add a nickel to the cost of soda when you can charge $10 for reserved parking? More people buy something to drink than care about Movie Star Parking.

4aprice

I'm so against this. Camelback has decided to reserve their upper lot for preferred parking at 15.00 a day. We had hope early in the season that it would not work as most pass holders went down to the 2nd level and it mostly sat empty but as the holidays and peak season hit it has been a success for the mountain. So now no matter how early we get to the mountain it's the 2nd level for me. I'm not against the mountain making money but sometimes they seem to be chiseling in the wrong direction.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm so against this. Camelback has decided to reserve their upper lot for preferred parking at 15.00 a day. We had hope early in the season that it would not work as most pass holders went down to the 2nd level and it mostly sat empty but as the holidays and peak season hit it has been a success for the mountain. So now no matter how early we get to the mountain it's the 2nd level for me. I'm not against the mountain making money but sometimes they seem to be chiseling in the wrong direction.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Usurious! Stowe only charges $17 in a covered garage!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

It's kind of odd. Skiing is generally a sport for those who are physically fit (with obvious exception to adaptive). So, you strong and in shape? Whatsamatta with walking? I see the other side of it too - don't burn me out before I get started, don't waste my time walking.

As the marketeers say "find a market need and fill it" If nobody bites, it will end quickly. If not, welcome to the free market.

Wait till they start charging extra for first chair! :eek:

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Whatsamatta with walking?

Wait till they start charging extra for first chair! :eek:

The walking is fine I guess.

For me walking from the lower lot can be an additional disadvantage on first tracks. There are days when the Gondola is running and I'm standing by the door at daycare waiting for it to open. Now I've got to do three trips from the lower lot (or pay) to bring the family's gear up. And then wait for the daycare to open.

It just feels like I'm hurdling obstacles. If you have to charge me do it. Sell me a parking pass over the summer when I'm laying down that huge pile of money for season passes. Essentially the pay for parking hits the loyal customers the hardest, if you don't have some kind of discount for buying in bulk.

Let's face it nobody WANTS to ski holidays...it's more crowded and conditions (all things equal) aren't as good. We ski holidays because we have a FAMILY and that is when we can go. The parking fee will hit passholder family's with school age kids ...the hardest.

I believe they do extra charge for first tracks at Stratton.

campgottagopee

"GOLD" Parking is coming to Gore next weekend.

$10 bucks for the UPPER LOT.

Mike Pratt is the Mountain Manager.

LET MIKE KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT IT:

His contact info is 1 518 251-2411, ext. 1100 and mike@goremountain.com

I find it odd they're doing this half way into the season, any reason for that??? I hear what your sayin Harv---think I'd be pissed too if for no other reason than I don't like change. I think pass holders should get a discount on the "premium parking", but I don't think not tipping the shuttle driver and not spending any $$$ at the bar is the answer.

Times are tough so I'm sure they're looking for any added bucks they can get......

Me, I'd pay the ten bucks that way I'd have the right to bitch about it.