• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Funk averted!

Greg

Staff member
Betcha took a second look at that thread title, eh? ;)

Anybody been in a long skiing funk where they felt they were struggling and then had a great day where they broke out of it? I haven't been really feeling it much all season and in fact the last few days of last year were a little choppy. Had a great session yesterday and now can't wait to get back out. I hope I can carry this momentum into the rest of the season.
:spread:

bvibert

Staff member
I started to feel like I was coming out of the funk a little bit yesterday, but I didn't get enough consistent runs in to really think I'm out of it. I did have some nice A&E runs down the bumplettes on Ex, until some dipshit pulled right in front of me and stopped, as I was going full speed. I think I hit his board, but not him, and exploded in spectacular fashion. I slowed it down after that... :roll:

Beetlenut

Could be worse! You could be in a healing funk! Since the snow has started to fly after the Xmas melt down, I have been wanting to get back out there! Missed my January trip to SR this last weekend. Watched my 5 yo ski for the first time yesterday! But I also had to stand there and watch everyone else ski by. Hopefully only a few more weeks of calcifing to go!

gmcunni

Not really a "funk" but had been bothered by my speed (lack of) in the bumps.. yesterday i thought i was moving quicker but when i saw your video i don't think i made as much progress as i thought i did. it really sucks following Pat or Steve in the video sequence . . :???:

Greg

Staff member
Not really a "funk" but had been bothered by my speed (lack of) in the bumps.. yesterday i thought i was moving quicker but when i saw your video i don't think i made as much progress as i thought i did. it really sucks following Pat or Steve in the video sequence . . :???:

I hear ya there. People have described my bump skiing as smooth, which to me sounds like "boring".

MR. evil

Anybody been in a long skiing funk where they felt they were struggling and then had a great day where they broke out of it? I haven't been really feeling it much all season and in fact the last few days of last year were a little choppy. Had a great session yesterday and now can't wait to get back out. I hope I can carry this momentum into the rest of the season.

That sums up my season in a nut shell, but I think I broke out of it between last Tuesday night and yesterdays bump sessions.

icedtea

can you bumpers hang elsewhere on the mountain, or just on bump runs?

JerseyJoey

You were not in a funk. It was the conditions. You will ski better in better conditions and you'll feel better about your skiing in better conditions. You will ski worse in worse conditions and feel worse about your skiing in worse conditions.

You came out of your "funk" in good conditions, right? That's not coincidence.

4aprice

I must be on the same schedule as you. Finally Sunday I started to ski the bumps the way I'm used to. I list three factors for the funk I was in: 1. New pair of ski's, 2 (and I think most important) a new pair of boots which have been a bear to break in. 3. Finally good enough light to actually see the moguls. I have to admit I wimp out when I don't like the visability. Looking forward to that rising sun angle.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Greg

Staff member
do you prefer a nicely seeded bump run to a fresh pow run down a sick chute?

A "sick chute"? Is that the gnar only found at Killington? :lol: I would definitely prefer the nicely seed bump run. Fresh pow is too difficult for me to turn in.

icedtea

A "sick chute"? Is that the gnar only found at Killington? :lol: I would definitely prefer the nicely seed bump run. Fresh pow is too difficult for me to turn in.

it's just a different feel, a lot more subtle.

if you make it up to K i will show you how great that mountain is if you want to hang for a day, and yeah we will be hitting some sick shoots all over the place.

Greg

Staff member
it's just a different feel, a lot more subtle.

if you make it up to K i will show you how great that mountain is if you want to hang for a day, and yeah we will be hitting some sick shoots all over the place.

Thanks for the offer. Can we ski Outer Limits? I want to buy a T-shirt.

icedtea

sure... blow down some zipper lines.
i rather be in growler or centerpiece though...

you doing the bmmc? have you done the bmmc?

Greg

Staff member
sure... blow down some zipper lines.
i rather be in growler or centerpiece though...

Do either of those pistes have any shoots, or whatever you called it, on them? They sound groovy.

you doing the bmmc? have you done the bmmc?

I would get my ass handed to me. :lol: