• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

One Up

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Many of you will get a chuckle out of this....

So today I was at Loon, great surface conditions on the trails, PP and LSGR. Almost no one there, never rode the chair with anyone! So without the crowds I decided I was going to push some speed. Got off of the East Basin Double and went down Upper Flying Fox to Crosscut to Basin Street to the base of the chair. Decided that this route would be the first to amp it up a bit.

Rode the chair back to the top, and began to descend Upper Flying Fox. No one on the trail, stayed on skier's right, to avoid anyone not looking while entering from Upper Picked Rock, had pretty good speed as I entered the sharp right turn in the trail. Before the immediate hard left bend in the trail I slowed up a bit as there can be crowds or a yard sale on that dip. Glad I did as there was a boarder collecting himself at the bottom of the pitch. No problem, looked to my right to make sure nobody was bombing out Mike's Way (tree skiing), this is the beginning of Crosscut. Trail is clear ahead of me!

Now I only had to worry about skiers/riders merging onto the trail from Skidder and Angel Street. After going under the gondola checked and so no one. My skis were about two feet apart, I leaned forward, bent my knees, and brought my poles up to my chin as I completed the tuck position. Accumulated speed quickly, noise level rising, smile growing on my face as I thought, 'Oh yeah, this is why we do this....'

It was at that time this guy passed me on my left..... and I mean blew by me! But what was the best is that this guy was standing straight, arms out as if to give a hug, skis in a wide stance, wearing jeans and no hat, lift ticket crackling in the wind. This was so frigin funny I really started to laugh out loud. Here I was being all technical and safe at particular areas and this guy comes out of fuc*&ng nowhere!

When I got to the bottom of the North Peak Lift this guy was gone, not at the East double either. I think he went down Brookway in the same manner! I really really really wish I had my helmet cam on! You all would laughed as hard as I did!

Warp Daddy

Yep i laffed --------------had a similar experience at Xmas , the poor sumbitch couldn't stop at the bottom tho and ended up in the parking lot ------- damn near took out a a few temporary parking cones too -- patroller yanked him over and told him to get a lesson :D